King: ROM102 maproms

Silver Member
Username: Hardrockstriker

Post Number: 843
King, you seem to have a greater tecnhical understanding of satellite technology, so maybe you can give your opinion on this...

How, exactly, were the ROM102 maproms discovered? Was is by acid peel? Logic probes? Information leakage via human? Electromagetic leakage?

Knowing this is important to me because it may answer questions with the coming of something beyond Nagra2. Plus, I'm wondering why P4/P5 hasn't already been 'broken' using the same methods?

As far as encrytion tecnology goes, I can't see keys ever being sent down encrypted as the ird card does all of the encryption processing (maproms) and the satellite would never be able to handle the load of encrypting each session to each ird (symmetrical encryption). And, of course, asymmetrical enncryption is out of the question, at least until elliptical algorithms are better developped. Am I correct on any of this?

Your opinion would be appreciated. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Donnie1973

Tennessee

Post Number: 551
I am curious if P5 hasnt been broken, or released because DN is still easily broken. I think if DN wasnt around, more resources would be put in to hacking dave. Just a thought...

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1213
Jason
First of all I don't have any knowledge or history on how that was cracked. Your question is like how did we fight Iraq and what is the best way to invade Iran. By Land or by Air. I never opened a receiver and I will probably never have to.

From electronics prospective due to my 25 years of experience if I have to open one within 200 hours I can crack and back engineer anything uses generic components. There is nothing I haven't seen but also nothing I can gain if I do.

Just like any war human intelligence is important but it is not essential to win a war. Back engineering is one thing and hacking is an entirely different approach. But to do things right yo have to be able to adjust to meet your objective. Usually there are many system traps but also there are always few ways to back door.

I did write about High Value Target why was it DN and Bev but not DTV. I'll say it again with Nagra-1 or 2 hackers were able to get International, Canadian and American Broadcast. With generic decoders that work with MPEG-2. On the other hand DTV is a non-MPEG since it predates standardizing digital broadcast virtually allowed only authorized Manufacturers to build non-MPEG QPSK decoders that only DTV uses.

Even until today they don't use MPEG-4 for HD making it much harder on hackers to pirate using generic decoders. As far as what type of encryption nothing is unbreakable not even best firewall can stop dedicated hacker. Hackers always jump on Highest Value Target and easiest to grab.

No
Today Dave is not the easiest target but not because of its security but because of hardware limitation. It is a matter of time until hardware become generic to newer HD broadcast. They are totally aware of it and I do believe they are continuing 720p HD in a non MPEG to avoid being an HVT.

For that part in my opinio they are out-smarting hackers.
King

Silver Member

Post Number: 845
I deal with wireless network connections between sites - there's the ever-popular Wi-Fi and the esoteric wireless protocols. It's true that the esoteric protocols are not HVT, but with a little work, about a year ago, a decoder was built for Proxim protocol (very esoteric). Now that the tool has been built every legit wireless hacker has it.

My point is: once the tool has been built, it can easily be replicated. So why not with Dave? Is it a matter of reverse-engineering their P4 card, which could be costly $$$? It's not like it's some esoteric, non-popular sat network. you'd think that someone would have built a decoder for whatever protocol Dave uses.

I would say that Dave is HVT because it offers better programming than DN. But then again, maybe the lawsuits help thwart crackers.

Anyways, thanks for your opinion, King!

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1214
When you use a word like protocol it means system communications. Where as MPEG is an encoding data schemes. 2 different things. For example if you want to steal a hydrogen car but you can't get hydrogen fuel to run it. It is an HVT but no market to buy fuel. The best thing for this kind of marketing is to patiently wait for fuel that run it then you get the right value for your car.

Silver Member

Post Number: 847
I suppose that the saying is true: necessity is the mother of invention. I guess we'll just have to wait for DN to go down to bring forth the necessity.

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1215
If DN and BEV go down yo won't have much of a multiple choice
No available FTA decoder reciver for DTV

What I meant once Dave start using MPEG-4 8PSK is your only chance to start date Dave. Your FTA receiver is not a QPSK to date Dave. Yo can only date MPEG-2 and Dave is not an MPEG-2. COMPATIBILITY issue.

Username: Dssfix

Post Number: 1
The Koreans will be getting richer making new boxes
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us