Samsung - More DLP issues

Username: Gkroeger

Post Number: 1
I notice several filled and closed threads on this subject. I have read through them but do not see any definite conclusions. If anyone has been involved in these problems, can you summarize for me these issues I am having with a 2 1/2 year old Samsung HL-P5063W DLP TV?

Set has functioned well for 2 1/2 years. A couple of days ago, it beeped (like the sound when you shut it down) and the picture went out. Sound was still on. Could not shut down normally, had to unplug set. I assumed that the lamp had gone out. So I purchased and replaced the lamp. After 15 minutes the set repeated the same problem. I assumed the new lamp was bad and blew out immediately. I obtained another lamp and repeated the process. Same result. After leaving the set off for an hour I turned it back on and it worked fine for a couple of hours and then failed in the same manner again. An hour later I turned it on again and it worked for a few minutes and then started flashing the white lights (Like has been described in other threads on this issue). After shutting it down (pull the plug) for a while and turning it back on, it works for a few hours before the picture goes out again (sound always stays on). At the moment it is working fine except when you turn it off the "StandBy/Temp" light stays on.

In the previous threads I have seen all of these symptoms and many suggested problems from lamp replacement and ballist failure to digital board failure. I hesitate to spend much money on this TV even though I paid close to $3K for it 2 1/2 years ago.

I have seen it suggested in previous threads that these problems are common on Samsung sets but I did not see any place where someone actually received any compensation from Samsung.

Any help or comments appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 22
Gary,
I'm not 100% sure but to me it seems like a ballast failure. I've had it where a tv works fine but every time you shut it off, you have to unplug it and replug it back it for it to turn on again, but that is a different problem..

Here is the part number for your ballast: BP47-00017A

Its $80 new.. you might be able to find it cheaper on ebay or used...

Its worth a try... Not too hard to change the part.

The reason why i don't think its the DBoard is because it has no affect on the picture.. Sounds like a power issue.

Username: Gkroeger

Post Number: 2
ovadoggvo

Thanks for your quick response. I had come to the same conclusion. So much so that I decided to take the gamble and purchase one on Ebay. I am concerned however since your post about the correct part number. The part number on Ebay was different but claimed to be for my set.

Item title: Samsung BP96-00690A Assy Ballast for HLP5063W HLP5663W
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us