MItsubishi WS-55908...Menu Locked?

Username: Ccburke

Pasadena, CA

Post Number: 2
I do home theater/automation and just aquired a WS-55908 (2001 model) for free from a customer after installing a replacement 65" DLP model.

The problem: When I go into the Viewpoint menu, I cannot navigate. The "Setup" icon is highlighted, but the [Adjust] arrows will not get me anywhere (neither with the remote nor front panel buttons). [Enter] sort of works on the Setup icon...at least it scans for channels, and prompts me for a V-Chip password (which I reset using [QV]+[9] and then turned V-Chip off), but nothing else works. Mitsubishi's customer support couldn't suggest anything other than cold booting, V-Chip unlock, and calling a repair shop. Apparently they don't have any real *technical* support for end-users.

Any of you gurus out there know what's got my set locked up? I downloaded the user manual, which of course had nothing useful...but I'm still unsure if buying the service manual will be worthwhile.

Additional info:

* Diagnostic shows code 12, which supposedly means there are no errors.

* Several inputs are not available for selection, including Antenna A and Component 1. I assume they are disabled in Setup, but I can't navigate the Setup menu to find out(!).

* The set will scan and find channels on Antenna B with rabbit ears but not cable...which I assume is because the tuner isn't cable-ready and requires a box. Damn...looks like Charter may actually squeeze that extra $7/month out of me after all...if I can get this thing working! :-/

* The manual talked about "System 4" - and I thought the inputs might somehow be affected by it, though I'm not even sure my set has it. I tried disabling it with [Cancel]+[Home Theater], [Home Theater]+[Video] as suggested in the manual, but this did nothing.

Another question: Is there a way to tell if this set is HD capable without feeding it HD input? Currently I can only select 480 formats. The set has "1080i" printed on the front, but I don't know if this just means it CAN be upgraded to 1080...or whether it shipped with the upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

Username: Ccburke

Pasadena, CA

Post Number: 3
Update: The menu problem was apparently related to the fact that coolant leakage from the center tube screwed up some of the electronics. The circuit boards were cleaned and bench tested, with several individual components requiring replacement. Also, the bitmap board was replaced.

The TV has been repaired and recalibrated, and it's working great! Plastic sheeting was installed to protect from future coolant leakage.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us