Component & Composite Input

Username: Buzzmag

Post Number: 1
What's the difference between Component & Composite Input?

Silver Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 188
Component involves the use of three separate video cables (usually red, green and blue when commercially purchased which correspond to same colored inputs on display device) that can carry a high definition or digital video signal. You must still connect a set of audio cables. Composite involves the use of one video cable and a two pronged audio cable. Standard definition is all such a video connection will carry. There is techinical stuff. Jan Vigne or King Tapeman, among others, could give you that info if you are interested.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3390
Component is analog, not digital, but it's better than composite. If you want digital, you need HDMI or DVI.

Username: Buzzmag

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jim and David.

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1068
Actually Jim and David got the perfect answer.

Composite Video must split to RGB display depending on quality of preamp in many TVs you can say lower quality than S-VHS and componenet RGB.

Silver Member

Post Number: 190
David, are you saying that component cables can not carry a 720p signal?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3391
I'm saying the signal is analog, not digital.

Silver Member

Post Number: 191
OK. One could use that same cable to carry a digital audio signal. What would prevent it from carrying a digital video signal?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3393
Component inputs are analog, period. You can't send a digital signal to an analog input. Try sending that digital audio signal to an analog input, you'll get nothing. Like I said before, if you want a digital signal, you have to use HDMI or DVI.

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
I understand and agree with your response, but my question has more to do with the characteristics of the cable itself. What would prevent the cable itself from carrying a digital signal?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3397
Any cable can carry a digital signal, it's just 0s and 1s. A digital signal has to be encoded and decoded, an analog input can't do that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 198
Agreed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us