Samsung HCN653W Not Playing HD Correctly

Username: Joerich

Post Number: 1
Hi. The convergence amp in my Samsung HDTV went out on me a few weeks ago. I had a professional pick the tv up and do the repair for me. Once I got the tv back, I noticed that it doeesn't play HD like it used to.

Every HD channel I watch is letterboxed, and the picture is squashed down vertically, and therefore the picture looks fat and stretched out horizontally. I've also noticed that there isn't a delay when I switch from SD to HD -- before the repair, there was a slight pause when changing from an SD to an HD channel, and the blue info guide (from the Charter Communications box) would also change shape - this no longer happens.

It seems that whatever settings that tell the tv how to handle an HD signal have been changed. I called the professional that repaired my tv, but he says he has no idea of what I'm talking about, and that HD is always letterboxed!?! (Never using him again.)

Anyways, I have a service manual, but it doesn't say anything about this problem. I've played around with changing some of the settings in the service menu, but haven't found anything that works. (The service manual doesn't really define any of the options found in the service menu, it only gives the default settings.)

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Or know anywhere I can look to learn more about some of these service menu settings (i.e., 3D-COMB Filter, AGC, Burst Screen, Letter Box, SYSTEM VSD 480p, etc.) Thanks in advance!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us