DVR, Digital terminal - want to record and watch other channels

Username: Augmentium

Post Number: 1
Just bought the Sony GX330 DVR. Have it hooked up to TV and HD digital terminal (Explorer HD 3250). I can play and record no problem, but I want to be able to switch to another channel while recording. I can't unless I go to the TV setting on my TV (before the inputs 1-4), but the TV doesn't pick up signals through this channel, only through input 1 as it's connected to the digital receiver.

Sony wasn't any help, cable company mentioned getting an a/b switch and 2 way splitter. How exactly would they be hooked up and would it work?

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

New York, NY

Post Number: 958
Do you have cable or satellite?

If you want 2 different programs you must have 2 different tuners
- One source can be cable other can be satellite or RCA inputs

Username: Augmentium

Post Number: 2
I found this posted somewhere online and it works. I didn't have to switch from A to B though, just leave it on A. I can record all the digital channels, but can only watch regular cable ones.

Q: How do you hook up a Digital Cable Box to an A/B Switch with VCR and TV?
A: You Need:
1 Splitter
1 A/B Switch
5 Coaxial Cables
1 Cable Box
1 VCR
1 TV
1 Active Cable Line

The Hook Up:
1. Take the cable from the wall (or floor), and connect it directly to the INPUT on the splitter
2. Use 1 coaxial cable to go from 1 OUTPUT of the splitter to the 'B' on the A/B Switch
3. Use 1 coaxial cable to go from the other OUTPUT of the splitter to the INPUT on the Cable Box
4. Use 1 coaxial cable to go from the OUT TO TV on the Cable Box to the ANT IN on the VCR
5. Use 1 coaxial cable to go from the OUT TO TV on the VCR to the 'A' on the A/B Switch
6. Use 1 coaxial cable to go from the TO TV on the A/B Switch to the ANT IN on the TV

Added Info:
'A' on the A/B Switch will be used to watch something with the Cable Box box, or to play a tape in the VCR 'B' on the A/B Switch will be used if you want to change channels on the TV and watch something different than you are taping. Remember to place TV back on channel 3 before switching back to the A side.

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

New York, NY

Post Number: 966
Yes
That is a good way to use your own TV tuner while recording on a DVR tuner
It is considered to be 2 tuners

Also as far as I know it won't handle more than 69 analog channels
Also check my thread:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/330353.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums