DVD player/recorder, VCR, DVR hookups! oh my!

Username: Patty_v

Post Number: 1
Help! I've searched the boards for help, but couldn't find. I'm a bit lost here. I have Comcast digital cable with DVR, a VCR and a DVD recorder/player. Want to be able to record on all three, and want to be able to transfer recordings from DVR and VHS to DVD. Also, would like to be able to record one thing and watch something else at same time. Possible? How do I hook up all the cables, etc.? No one's been able to help, not even the guy at Comcast. Would really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 46
Easiest way might be to purchase and AV switcher.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jim Bob, but I'm such a novice. I was wondering if you could tell me like "use a coaxial cord in the RF in of the such & such to the RF out of the such and such, and then use an RCA cord from the this to the that, etc. And where would these AV things go? I have no idea even where to start!!!!! Any help would be appreciated!!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Your installation is complicated by your requirement to record on all three.What source(s) do wish to record on all three?

Post Number: 3
Hi. I would like to be able to record tv programs to the DVR, and the DVD. (I guess I really don't need to record to VCR.) But I do want to be able to transfer previously recorded things from the VCR to the DVD, and to be able to transfer recordings from the DVR to the DVD.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
Recording to DVR should be a cinch. Presumably,your digital cable is already connected to your DVR-just hit record.What type of output jacks are present on your DVR?

Post Number: 4
Hi. Yes I record to DVR all the time and I have my VCR hooked and it can record and play. Problem is now that I add the DVD player/recorder. This is how it is currently hooked up--- Cable from wall goes to RF In on DVR. RF In on VCR hooked to back of TV (the only connection tv has).VCR Out to Antenna goes to into DVR. Everything works. But the DVD is what I'm so confused over.

The back of my DVR says Dual DVR--Has RF In and another one not marked (that my VCR out from antenna is in). Then there's an S video, SPDIF, and optical SPDIF. Next comes Video (yellow hole) under that Audio L (white hole) and R (red). Across from Video (yellow) is Y (green hole)Under that is Pb (blue) and PR (red). Then is HDMI, ethernet, USB, SATA, IEEE1394. Hope that makes sense to you.

THen on VCR on back is RF IN and Out to Antenna, then Line In and Line Out each with red, white and yellow connections. (not using those now) (There's a Line In 2 on front, but I don't think you need to know those)

Now on DVD recorder/player there is: with "UHF/VHF" an RF In and an RF Out.
Next with "Source Input" there's S-Video with In 1 and In 2. Video R - Audio - L with six plug (holes)two yellow, two red and two white.
THen with "Audio Out" there's two vertical rows of three. The first three are red and are labeled FR, C and CR, and next to them the 2nd row are white and labeled FL, SW, and SL.
Then with "Video Out": Two vertical rows--first row says Video (white hole) and S-Video. Second role has Y/G (green hole)Pb/B (blue hole) and Pr/R (red hole).
Next is "Digital Audio Out". It has a coaxial connection.

WHEW!!!! Okay, I sure hope some of this makes sense to you!
I really appreciate this. I was always okay with VCR and tv, cable and even the DVR (which I'm in love with). But throw in this darn DVD and it's way out of my league!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
OK. You can make the S video and appropriate audio connections from your DVR outputs to the corresponding DVD recorder inputs. This will allow you to record all cable programming onto your DVD recorder. Now connect VCR video and audio outputs to second set of DVD recorder inputs. This will allow you to record directly from VCR. However, you will not be able to monitor or view the recording or or see DVD recorder settings and info unless you connect it to your tv in some fashion. If your tv does not have any type of video input jacks, you may need an RF splitter to send signals from all sources to tv for viewing unless you can route the DVD output through DVR. Best I can do without additional info
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us