Help on OTA HD reception question

Username: Mamasmurf

Post Number: 1
Hope someone can help. I have DirectTV and had added an antenna attached to the dish to receive my local channels in order to save a couple of bucks. They link together by the dish on the roof and both come into the house on just one cable. All I had to do was turn the dish off and I could use my local channels thru my vhs unit.

I now went out and purchased a Toshiba HDTV flat panel tv. I can get the dish stations installed, but can't get the locals. Also for some reason, I can't receive the locals on my other tv's that are split off.

What am I doing wrong? Is there some way to pick up my local stations on that same original cable? Do I try running a seperate cable from the antenna mounted on the dish? Sorry for such a long question - just call me frustrated and HD ignorant!

Thanks for the help

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

New York, NY

Post Number: 820
Dave
The Satellite/antenna combiner is known as Diplexer. You need 2 of them one outside the house a second before your DTV receiver. This diagram can be helpful to you.

You are correct in SD Satellite receivers you must bypass antenna by switching Receiver off. Some HD receivers you can get it along with your satellite EPG without switching off.
Upload
For more info check my thread:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/330353.html

Bronze Member
Username: Nr4p

Post Number: 16
The diagram may work but depends what system you have.
If you have a Directv H20 or HR20 receiver and 5LNB dish, you cannot diplex the signals in that manner.

It can be done, but without knowing what type of receiver, dish (3 or 5 lnb) and if there's a multiswitch, cannot give you a precise answer. Need more detailed info on the whole system

Silver Member

New York, NY

Post Number: 993
Steve
You got a great point
I will look into that. I never tried it on DTV 5 Sat. It is a possibility internal DISEqC Switch by DTV blocks certain frequencies.

One thing I can assure you if you use a diplexer frequency range 900 MHZ to 2400 MHz it will be handled correctly. Cuz DTV or any other satellite company average 12GHz down convert by LNB to 2 GHz max 2.4GHz which is also max that any RG-6 quad shield cable can handle.

To make sure it will work:
- Use 2400 MHz Diplexer (2.4GHz)
- Use RG-6 Quad shield with snap and seal crimps
- Diplexer must be after DISEqC switch not before

But I will tested with my next door neighber he is got the new 5 SAT HDTV system.

Bronze Member
Username: Nr4p

Post Number: 17
With the Directv 5LNB system, they are down converting to 250Mhz. So that interferes with the UHF television signals when sharing a cable.

There's a B-Band Converter supplied with some of these systems.. Directv normally wants it at the rear of the sat box. But if it is placed between the Diplexer and the Zinwell WB68 Multiswitch, (with the other Diplexer at the Sat box), it will work.

Gold Member

New York, NY

Post Number: 1002
It can't be 250MHz it is too low
Video signal for satellite usually over 900 MHz
It is called wideband multiswitch because it handles variety of bandwithd
Both Ka/Ku
ka is for for audio satellitte
Ku is for Video satellite

Upload

AT9 MPEG-4 Ku/Ka dish
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=961931#POST961931

They do use 1650 to 2150 MHz
As well as 950 to 1450
I honesty don't know what 250 to 750mhz for but I will have to guess for Audio

They use multiple bands switchings for multiple sats due to vertical and horizntal polarity switching as well as 0/22Khz and 14/18 VDC DC componenent.

For all those reasons it may not be a good idea to cascade with any other type of switch or diplexer. I don't blame you.

But do you know something they may have a special diplexer that will work with this Zinwell. They can't take away the option of adding Antenna and diplexer is the only way to combine.

Also there is a switch on receiver from back you may consider switching to either ch-3 or ch-4 this may hold the trick. for all people that can use diplexer the above diagram is how to.

Silver Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 158
King, is there really an indoor antenna that will effectively pull in HD stations from 50 or more miles away? I live in such a fringe area. Tried one made by Phillips and it just wouldn't get the job done. I don't want to go to roof or attic installation.

Gold Member

New York, NY

Post Number: 1013
There is a couple of amplified ones
Don't waste time with non-amplified antennas if you are within 50 miles.
Amplified Indoor HD antennas TOPS (30 to 40 miles)
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=1062467#POST1062467

Did you do a www.antennaweb.org survey?
Insatlling an outdoor antenna is a piece a cake unless if you are in an apartment building (high rise)

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
Yeah, I did the antennaweb.org survey. For aesthetic reasons, I don't want another piece of equipment on the roof-already have a satellite dish which, thankfully, is not visible from the front. The Phillips I tried was amplified (up to 32 db if memory serves). But it wouldn't bring in the stations, closest of which is at least 50 miles. Thanks for your suggestions.

Gold Member

New York, NY

Post Number: 1026
If you are a subscribed DN customer call All American Direct 1-800-249-1063
or visit their web at:
www.allamericandirect.com
You can upgrade with equiepment from DN for only $3 per month

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
Do those antennas that they attach to the dish really do a decent job in a fringe areas?

Gold Member

New York, NY

Post Number: 1033
50 miles are not that far for an outdoor antenna
They should work well

To tell you the truth You can wire it yourself and save $3 amonth
Antenna is best solution for local broadcast

Another low cost alternative is Verizon FIOS
You get 3 packages in one bill
- Internet (order 1-line and add wirless yourself)
- FIOS TV (family package)
- Phone (unlimited calls)

All 3 for $95 www.digitalbroadcastcorp.com
www.aircable.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
King, could you give directions on how what antenna to purchase and how to wire it to Directv 5 LNB dish? Send me a private email if you wish. Thanks.

Gold Member

New York, NY

Post Number: 1034
Actually I thought you got DN
DTV 5 LNB, why don't you call them. You are entitled to mount an antenna to go with it.

The reason why DTV is so slick they may block certain things. But they can't take away the option to accomodate local antenna. Ask DTV what hardware you need. In many cases they have to install it for you for free.
Try that first.

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
Thanks a lot.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us