RCA spdif (digital coax) to analog stereo RCA--how to convert?

Username: Audioshmodio

Post Number: 2
I recently purchased a Toshiba 26 inch HD TV to replace a long lasting, but now dead and gone TV. I always had the old TV hooked up to to an analog stereo amplifier with a stereo RCA cable. The new Toshiba has no analog stereo outputs and has no coax output. It ONLY has one RCA spdif (digital coax) output and one fiber optic output. I wish to find a converter that will go from either the RCA spdif output or the optical output and feed into standard RCA analog stereo inputs. I have found online, a converter for stereo RCA to spdif RCA but NOT the reverse. Doesn't anyone else have a perfectly OK, old fashioned analog stereo hi-fi amplification system, and a HD TV that they would like to run through it? Any direction to a converter or a solution short of a purchase of a digtal surround sound system or digital receiver would be appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1432
­
Norm, since you don't specify where your TV signal is coming from I am assuming you are using an antenna for over-the-air reception. You should check your owner's manual as to what conditions those digital outputs work. Many, if not all, HDTVs with digital audio outs only output a signal when a digital A/V signal is received through the TV's ATSC digital tuner. This would exclude any standard def NTSC signals received by the display.

There is some equipment on the market that is essentially big-buck pro stuff that do digital®analog audio conversion. The only reasonably priced thing I have found is this apparent conversion box for sale. But of course even this won't work if your TV does not reliably have audio available on its digital outputs on all channels.
­

Username: Audioshmodio

Post Number: 3
John, thanx for responding. My TV signal is coming from Comcast cable and is analog at the present. I plan to switch to a digital and HD signal in the near future. This is a Toshiba combination flat color TV & video cassette recorder/DVD video player MW26H82. >>>>>> Many, if not all, HDTVs with digital audio outs only output a signal when a digital A/V signal is received through the TV's ATSC digital tuner. This would exclude any standard def NTSC signals received by the display. <<<<<<<

I called Toshiba's customer service department and asked if the digital audio outs only output a signal when a digital A/v signal is received through the TV's ATSC digital tuner. I also asked them, if this is the case, does this mean that even if I bought a surround sound system eventually, that standard def NTSC signals receved by the display will NOT go through the system? After extensive reseach the customer service person said that I had a ATSC quam digital tuner and in his opinion, every singnal from the cable company, regardless should output from the digital outs. He is not an engineer and doesn't have access to any by phone from his department. Even when I get digital cable and an HD box, aren't most of my signals going to be standard def NTSC signals at the present time? Thanx for finding the converter box. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I notice that the company is in Portugal and more importantly, a minimum of purchasing two units is required for ordering. In looking at the back and reading about the jacks, I have concluded that the following is possible: The way I would get in would be through the black square to the right of the switch because that is an optical audio digital input and would be my only way in. Then it looks like there are the standard yellow, red, & white outputs as well as inputs. So I could use the red and white analog outputs. This conclusion is suspect because the text says 1x RCA audio output (singular, not ouputS and also says nothing about stereo). A side issue: The phone tech said that all signas will be digital atsc by 2009. Does that mean that little old fashioned TVs that are around in rooms like the "shop" will not be able to pick up the signal and everybody in america has to through away their old fashioned TVs and get new ones?
Thanx again for all your input, Norm

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1441
­
"My TV signal is coming from Comcast cable and is analog at the present."

I take this to mean either cable line only with no cable box, or a basic cable box with no analog line outs. When ordering digital cable (no HD) I believe most cable companies provide an upgraded cable box which have analog R/L audio outputs on it. Certainly if you upgrade to HD cable service that cable box will have the R/L outs you need, thus solving your problem. BTW, those audio outs are usually not variable, so if you were used to adjusting the volume with the remote on your old TV, it won't work with the new setup. Anyway to repeat, a simple upgrade in your cable service solves your problem; you will hear audio on all channels via the cable box's output into your stereo.

"After extensive reseach the customer service person said that I had a ATSC quam digital tuner and in his opinion, every singnal from the cable company, regardless should output from the digital outs."

First, I find it hard to believe a company like Toshiba would build a modern TV that has a digital audio output but no R/L outputs. Second, I don't understand why any customer service person wouldn't know the answer to your simple question about audio on one of their products. At least you talked to a real person, even if they were in India.

He could very well be right about that "quam" (should be Q.A.M. or QAM [Quadrature Amplitude Modulation]) tuner. Maybe that's why Toshiba elected to eliminate analog audio outs on this TV. Anyway, it's going to be too big a problem to find out if he's right. You could buy a dirt-cheap digital receiver, e.g. Best Buy's $150 Insignia model, and use it as your digital to analog converter.

That converter box link looked suspect to me also. I can't believe you can find lots of simple analog to digital converters but not the opposite.

"A side issue: The phone tech said that all signas will be digital atsc by 2009. Does that mean that little old fashioned TVs that are around in rooms like the "shop" will not be able to pick up the signal and everybody in america has to through away their old fashioned TVs and get new ones?"

The gov't's digital mandate in 2009 will be a hassle for a lot of people. With millions of old analog NTSC TVs still in service there will be some changes. All those with cable or satellite service will be taken care of by those companies with converter boxes that will convert the digital signal to analog for those old sets. Those people that are still using antennas will have low cost converters available to them so their TVs will still work. The cost of these boxes will be partially funded by the gov't.

Call your cable company and upgrade today. When you get used to HD you won't look back. And enjoy your stereo system with it.
Upload
­

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1442
­
DTV FAQs:

http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts