Buying my 2nd lcd need a recomendation

Username: Watchdaride

Post Number: 8
I am looking to buy another big screen tv. Bought my last one 3 years ago hitachi 50v500 and it has been a night mare. I dont want to go through that again so I wanted some advice on whats good and reliable tv out there. I went to Sears today and they recommend samsung dlp tv , I am scared of plasma because of cost to fix it .I am looking for 50" up to $2500 . Any good experiences out there ?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1408
­
"I am scared of plasma because of cost to fix it"

I can't back this opinion up, but I'll still bet the average repair cost on all plasmas is lower than on all rear projection TVs. As a 50V500 owner, I am well aware of the lamp and light engine replacement costs, and if I were in the market today, I would definitely not exclude plasmas.

A friend recently purchased a 50" Samsung plasma for under $2500, and I'm here to tell you his picture blows away mine.

Another excellent deal is the Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma. This display offers near state-of-the-art performance and be found on the net for under $2000.

If you're still afraid of plasma, then I believe the Sony SXRD RPs yield the biggest bang for the buck, with near plasma picture performance.

I would stay away from DLP until the price on the LED driven DLPs comes down. Minus that crazy color wheel (and assuming there are no other issues) the LED/DLPs will be hot when the price comes down.

My 2¢
­

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 728
I agree with you John

Let me add that the most trusted name today is Panasonic
Just make sure what you buy is 1080p and certainly Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma is the best 50" out there

Bronze Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 40
If money is no object, you might consider the new Pioneer referenced in this CNET reveiw. http://reviews.cnet.com/Pioneer_PRO_FHD1/4505-6482_7-31641854.html?tag=lst. I have no hands on experience but the review is intriguing.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1412
­
That Pioneeer truly is the-state-of-the-art, and at $8K list and $5-$6K street it oughtta be. However, steven's budget is $2500.

Post Number: 9
thanks for the feed back . I am going to look into the panasonic . I'll post with what prices are in my area

Post Number: 10
i called 2 repair shops and they still say plasma are still expensive to repair.One said they have one with the cost to repair $3000 and you can buy the tv new for $3200 . They say if the thickness isnt a problem lcd is the best way to go and they say the dlp has issues (something about picture wheel) . i was looking at the sony Model: KDS60A2000 sony.I think it is a older model . I know 2 people with sony and no problems .Plasma does have a nice picture but it also depends on the source .I am 42 and bought many tvs never had a problem but after my experience with my 50v500 hitachi Its a major decision .
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us