HDMI ports and Plasma and LCD HDTV

Username: Jascha

Post Number: 1
I bought my Panasonic LCD HDTV Viesa about 2 years ago. At the time, I was so enthralled with Plasma vs LCD that I forgot a fundamental item. The HDTV only has 1 HDMI port! As I am finding out, every Video equipment is outputting in HDMI.

I just added PS3 with Blue Ray and also have a Satellite Receiver with both having HDMI outputs.

I had to use an external HDMI switch to connecting both devices. Now it works, and I have 3 extra ports. It works great!
However, I advise others in the market for new HDTV to look for a HDTV with at least 3 HDMI inputs so you can add HD sources easily in the future.

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

New York, NY

Post Number: 834
Great advice Danny
This is one good auto detect HDMI

Upload
HDMI-31 Switch
Switches when HDMI signal is detected
Connects multiple HDMI components to a single HDTV. Automatically switches when you turn a product on Video Amplifier Bandwidth - 1.65 Ghz Compatible Format Support - DVI, HDCP Resolution Supported - 480p, 720i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

Bronze Member
Username: Idrivearocket

Post Number: 52
I've got only 2 HDMI ports and already have 3 components that have HDMI. It seems TV's with 3 HDMI ports are just coming out now.

I'm planning on running the cable TV directly to TV with HDMI and run the PS3 and upscaling DVD player to an amplifier having at least 2 HDMI inputs. Most reasonable amps will have 2 HDMI inputs and then I'll run that to the other HDMI input on the TV. This will also eliminate the need for so many audio cables.

I have to wait for a while longer as most amps have only HDMI 1.1 or lower, meaning they will not receive any of the HD audio signals like SACD or DTS HD, etc.

The only downside is that I'll have to have my amp turned on whenever I use those components. On the other hand, I always do when using PS3 or DVD players anyway.

Bronze Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 81
King, what do you know about the Belkin HDMI swithcer? I've seen it advertised for as low as $149.

Silver Member

New York, NY

Post Number: 841
Which Belkin model? I never tried one
I like Terk better for about $70.00
It doesn't need a remote cuz of auto detect

AV24502 Belkin with remote about $90.00
AV24502 Belkin with remote about $100.00
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
Auto detect is interesting. If you have multiple HDMI sources connected and you start two of them up simultaneously, how does the Terk "decide" which one to display?

Silver Member

New York, NY

Post Number: 847
I knew it. U are a smart aleck

Last signal will over ride... ha ha

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
You promised to teach me something. I may be gruff and demanding but I am always willing to learn new things.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us