LG DVD recorder randomly stops recording

Username: Zeek1234

Post Number: 1
I bought an LG DR7500 DVD recorder, which looked like an ex-display model, and was going extremely cheap. After a week of usage, the recorder randomly stopped recording, e.g. after 15 seconds, then consistantly after 1 or 2 seconds. I tried many different writeable dvd's, including the recommended ones in the manual. Concluded that this was a faulty item due to it being ex-display. I got my money back and bought the same model (because of the features) from another store at normal retail price (not ex-demo). After one month, exactly the same problem happened, sometimes after 10 minutes, sometimes after 2 seconds, the recorder would stop recording - however it was consistant.

I took it back to the store and demanded a refund because it was only one month old, which was rejected. They, instead, sent it to LG, who performed stress tests for 2 weeks and returned it claiming no problem, but I am very certain of the issue and am technically literate.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or know if this is an LG deficiency because I do not know what to do with a dvd recorder that stops recording randomly.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3354
It may be copy protection on the channels you're trying to record.

Post Number: 2
Good point, I was thinking that. However, the behaviour is such, for example, I am recording a film from a digital satelite receiver and about 50 minutes into the film, the recording stops. I would assume if there was protection, then I would not have been able to record so much. Also, I know the DVD had plenty of space.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3357
Have you ever been watching the recording on the TV when it stops? If it's copy protection, or it thinks it's copy protection, there will be some kind of warning on the TV, copy protected material, copying not allowed, something like that.

Post Number: 3
It occurs both on timer and when I watch, but there is no warning.

I believe that it may not be copy protection as I was initially recording one tv program daily, and several times it recorded it completely, and other times it records and stops randomly.

One thing I noticed was there was a momentary change in colour and brightness on the picture just before it stopped by itself. But this could have just been my eyes - not sure if that is relevant.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3359
DVD recorders run hot and need plenty of ventilation room. Make sure the fan isn't blocked and there's nothing blocking the intake vents on the side. There shouldn't be anything under it that produces heat and there shouldn't be anything on top of it.

Post Number: 4
The fan is not blocked, however, there was another dvd player underneath (which is normally off) and the cabinet roof just above the dvd player. i.e. the recorder is stuffed in between a narrow area, but the fan is totally free.

Do you think this is possibly causing issues?

BTW, I appreciate your help...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3360
It's possible. Is there room on the sides where the intake vents are?

Post Number: 5
I will check that as soon as the store tells me that I have to take the recorder back.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3365
What brand and speed discs are you using? There are a lot of garbage discs out there.

Post Number: 6
Sorry about the delay.

The brand and speeds are:

Sony DVD-R v2.1 1x-16x (Recommended in LG manual)
Philips DVD+RW 1x-4x (Recommended in LG manual)
Philips DVD-R 1-8x

Gold Member

Post Number: 3368
Philips is CMC, junk. I don't know about 16x Sony. Hard to believe they would actually recommend Philips. Best Buy has Verbatim on sale this week, those are definitely good discs.

Username: Jezz

Post Number: 2
I have similar problem with LG RH7500. Worked great for first 12 months and no problems. Now when try to dubb from hard drive to DVD disc it will record for approx 2 mins and then stop. Message appears "Recording file information please wait" then a second message "cannot record due to disc error". I am using the same spool of DVD discs as before and have even tried Sony discs as recommeneded. Also tried cleaning the lens with DVD lens cleaner CD. Any help appreciated. I do not want to press the re-set button just yet as I have a lot of films and tv programmes stored on the hard drive!!!! (I have approx 11 hours free)Recording from tv to hard drive still works fine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us