OTA ATSC tuners - just a fairy tail?

Username: Rlw0157

Post Number: 5
Hello,

I've been looking for an over-the-air ATSC tuner for my "HD ready" Mitsu 55" for about a month now.

The reviews I've been reading point to a Samsung DTB-H260F as one of the best, as it has a so-called 5th generation receiver, and can pick up signals that older receivers can't. The only problem is that none of the online or brick & mortar stores seem to have them. I managed to find one at a refurbished products website, but after reading a couple of hundred unhappy posts about that site on epinions.com, I decided to steer clear of them.

I've found references to quite a few different external ATSC tuners, but nobody but E-bay seems to have them.

Do these things actually exist, or are they just a rumour? ;^)

I was under the mistaken impression that it would be EASY to find a receiver that can be connected to an HD-ready TV. That doesn't seem to be the case.

I'd be interested in hearing from others in the forum that have OTA receivers. I'm looking for one that has a component-video output and handles up to 1080i.

What brand/model do you have?
How much did you pay for it?
Where the heck did you get it?
What do you like/dislike about the model you have?

Thanks in advance for any replies...

Bob

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 587
Well cable box is really the way to go
But if this is not an option

Try winegard
Just make sure you read their specs
King

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 99
try
http://www.refurbdepot.com/productdetails2.cfm?Product_ID=5035&refererid=froogle

I purchased several earlier model Samsung ATSC tuners from them with no problems.

Order quick if they have them, I doubt their stock will last long

Post Number: 6
Martin,

Thanks for your reply. RefurbDepot is the vendor I was referring to -- I just don't feel secure that they are folks I'd like to do business with.

I *did* manage to find a receiver -- a Samsung SIR-TS160 -- it's an NTSC, ATSC, DirecTV receiver. Got it for $29.99 + $12.50 3-day FedEx from http://www.consumerdepot.com. It doesn't come with a remote, but I happen to have a couple of DirecTV RC32 remotes -- it works with them. I should have it in my hands by the weekend. We'll see how it works out, and I'll probably post some kind of review when I get it connected and have a chance to play with it.

Bob

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1368
­
Bob, thanks for providing the link to the Sam 160. It's an old discontinued model but for $42.50 it's worth a try. One of the most common complaints on the later Samsung tuners was that they were very slow in changing channels. If that's the only problem with this one it'll be OK.

I ordered one as well. At this price, I can live without the remote. The only problem is that my main HDTV is in the basement and I fugure I'll have to run an antenna down from the roof or attic. That will take some time.

Anyway please get back here with your experience with it.
Upload
­

Post Number: 7
John,

You're in Columbus, I'm in Lancaster -- we're practically neighbors.

If you can scare up an old DirecTV remote, most of them can be set up to work with the 160, according to the manual. I have a couple of RC32s from my father-in-law when he went from sat to cable.

According to FedEx tracking, my 160 is waiting to be loaded onto a truck in Columbus for the trip to Lancaster. I'll let you know how it goes.

Bob

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1374
­
Bob, I just opened my 160 this morning but as I said, I have no easy way of testing it. Got yours fired up yet? Are you using the DVI or component output?

"You're in Columbus, I'm in Lancaster -- we're practically neighbors."

I used to drive by your house on my way to bust some clays at Hidden Haven (Sugar Grove). Love the new by-pass.
­

Post Number: 8
John,

Got mine on Friday. Turns out the remote I planned to use (RC16) won't work. The manual for it is wrong. My neighbor had an old DirecTV remote that works. I haven't figured out what model it is, but it looks like the RC16 AND has a "Format" key.

Anyway, I hooked it up to the antenna and just composite video to start. Got a "No dish found" message, and didn't have a working remote yet, so I used the buttons on the front to proceed. I also had a couple of old DirecTV set top boxes with cards in 'em -- took out one of the smart cards and plugged it in the Samsung. I'd read on other forums that you couldn't get past the "No Dish" message without a smart card. Sorry, but I didn't try it without the card, so I don't know if that's true or not.

Got into the setup menu, told it I had "No Dish", then it asked about scanning for ALL OTA and cable stations. After a few minutes (there's a progress bar), it found a bunch of stations. It got all of the Columbus analogs (4,6,10,28,34), all of their digital brethren (4.1,4.2,6.1,6.2,10.1,28.1,34.1-4), and surprisingly, found 51.1, which I think is in Nerk. If it IS in Nerk, it's picking it up off the side of my Columbus-aimed antenna. It also found another 6 or 7 marginal analog signals, so I went into the Add/Remove stations part of the menu and got rid of 'em.

After that was done, I hooked it up to the composite video on my Mitsubishi, and the picture is great.

Saturday morning, I turned it on, and for some reason, it "forgot" all of the digital stations. I'd read somewhere on another forum that could happen with the Samsung. As of this morning (Sunday), it still has the same stations I had yesterday. I'm wondering if there's some kind of internal battery backup for the memory, like in a PC.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the thing. Seeing how hard it is to find an OTA ATSC STB (don't you just LOVE acronyms?), I think it was $42.49 well spent.

By the way, I have a love/hate relationship with the bypass. It's too close to me -- when I moved here ten years ago, I was out in the quiet countryside, now it's like having a NASCAR track in the backyard. It sure does make it convenient to get to Columbus or Athens, though...

I'd be interested in hearing how your box is working out for you...

Bob

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1380
­
Looks like I'm in trouble already. I have no card. Rats!

Post Number: 9
John,

I didn't test mine without the card, but you could. I'd suggest connecting it (via composite out -- the yellow connector) to a TV with a video-in connection. Turn it on and press the "OK" button if/when you get the "can't find a dish" message. If you get past that, it should work without a card. If not, find a friend or neighbor who has had DirecTV for a couple of years. Most of the folks who've upgraded to HD will have a closet full of old equipment laying around. That's where I got my remote.

By the way, I found out the model -- it's an RC24, and the manual for the RC16 on the DirecTV website works for it.

A couple of corrections -- in the last post I said ...I hooked it up to the composite video on my Mitsubishi... -- I hooked it up to the COMPONENT video.

The other thing is that I always cringe when I see misspelled posts. I'm cringing now, I just realized the thread title ends in just a fairy tail? -- should have been "fairy TALE"...

Good luck...

Bob

Post Number: 10
Correction: The remote is an RC23 - internal model # (inside battery compartment) is URC-2081.

Here's a quote from a DirecTV forum with a list of remotes:

Remote model #'s like urc-1081, 1082, 2081, and 2082 are UEI designated model #'s. Directv renamed them with their own model #'s, so urc-1081/1082= Rc16, urc-2081= rc23, urc-2082= rc24.

If you look inside the battery compartment of the rc32, you will see UEI model urc-2482.

"UEI" is the company that makes the remotes for DirecTV, not sure what it stands for, but they can be found on the FCC ID database.

Bob

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1383
­
Sorry Bob I can't get past the "can't find a dish" message. That's what I get for pulling the trigger too soon. You know what they say, "if it seems too good to be true, it is."

Oh well it's only $40. No big deal.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us