Calibration of Pioneer PDP-5070

Bronze Member
Username: Idrivearocket

Post Number: 31
Can anyone post their calibration settings for the PDP-5070? Did you have it professionally calibrated or via DVD?
Thanks a lot !!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
For anyone who has the latest Pioneer model... I found these settings on the web for the 42" model... claiming accuracy between 6400K and 6600K. When I applied the settings to my 50" the picture really does look fantastic, with great color generation.

Does anyone know if settings between different sizes (of the same model) would change dramatically?

I'm surprised you can't find these calibration settings easily on the web. It's like nobody wants to share this info so we all have to spend $300 each.

Pioneer PDP-4270HD Optimal Picture Settings
AV Selection User
Contrast 32
Brightness +3
Color +5
Tint -2
Sharpness -4
PureCinema Off
Color Temperature Low
CTI Off
DNR Low
MPEG NR Low

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 608
It is a matter of eye preference
I personally won't trust default settings nor pro settings

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Do you have an eye trained enough to know? (i'm not challenging you, I just doubt my own eye)

I find when I'm tinkering with it, there is no way I can come up with a better setting. I can tell when I tinker with one setting, but when adjusting each one individually, I can not reach the best final image... having all adjustments in the correct setting together. Surely a good image is a product of all settings in correlation with each other, and not just something the eye can tell by adjusting one at a time...

Everyone's eye can give their own oppinion of what looks 'nice', but a persons' red shirt when fimed by the camera should look like the same red when you see it on TV, not just a red that looks better than the person's actual shirt colour... Blacks should have a proper contrast, ivory whites should not have tints of blue, etc... Regardless of what our eye's think looks nice, we are trying to reproduce the source. Isn't that the point of watching TV? Isn't that why there are standards?

Silver Member

Post Number: 610
I see
As for me I work a lot in video I calibrate my own settings while others prefer different settings.

Don't forget not each person got an identical vision and similarly color, brightness and contrast. You may also say the same about Audio. The part that I will disagree with if someone claim as to be a color expert.

You got programs like: Hockey, basketball, tennis, soccer, movies, news, cartoon. Don't tell me an expert can accommodate all of these with one color setting. If you agree or disagree that is your opinion to your own preference.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Interesting oppinion and I'd have to agree with you, especially if you look at and scrutenize video every day...

I would imagine that one might want different colour settings depending on the video content.

The Pioneer Plasma will allow you to save different settings (colour, contrast, brightness, etc.) individually for different inputs... as an example, I can save the settings for the HDMI input coming from my BD player, for just that input. Since I usually watch movies on the BD player, one could argue that I could keep the settings pretty much the same for most movies, playing from the BD input.

Conversely, if I was watching sports from my HDMI comcast box, then the TV will automatically switch all video settings (to my adjusted settings for that different input) when selecting that different video input. If I was watching tennis at Wimbledon or the Superbowl live from Miami, I would imagine that green grass should look pretty much the same. (unless you live in Kentucy)

Conversely, you may want to change the colour settings on the comcase box input, if you usually watch soap opera's, becuase color would be captured and produced differently than from HD sports camera's. Would it not?

I guess you could be adjusting color constantly, but most of us would not bother to change it that often. I'm going to pre-set the different inputs with a couple presets of what I like (based on tips I get) and then just start enjoying the TV.

I am no expert at this. I know about TV technology, but I'm really enjoying learning about video settings, especially now that I have a TV that is capable of showing colour much better than my previous TV.

Silver Member

Post Number: 611
I'm glad we both agree
I'm glad you can also auto program your presets
A lot of different users won't bother to remote control complications they just want to stick to something simple. I do respect everyone's opinion and I do listen to everyone.

Great chat Peter
King
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us