Archive through October 24, 2006

Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 1
I've got a HLN507W, purchased August '03, warranty expired. My problem was a buzz so loud there was no point in watching it anymore. I concluded it was the color wheel, and decided to replace myself. I have of couple of questions on the replacement.
1. Does the replacement color wheel for my model have the new air bearings? Samsung parts line did not know.
2. Does anyone know a part#(or proper name) for the dust/heat tape or foam. I understand this is rendered useless after the replacement. Once again Sumsung had no idea what I was talking about.
Any other advice on this process is welcome. This has been a fantastic set, this is just a little bump in the road. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 634
The new air bearing frictionless wheel is not an option on that model.

If you're careful you won't need anything other than the wheel.

www.samsungparts.com

Part Number Description Specification Price
BP96-00250A COLOR WHEEL DLP(SVC),COLOR $136.47

Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 2
I was afraid that was the case. Well I guess I'll document and take photos for the next time. As for the tape, do you happen to know the name or part#? I plan on being careful, but best laid plans and all. Thanks again.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 635
Sure don't. It shouldn't be a problem, though.
It's not a critical item.

Bronze Member
Username: Roc383

Detroit, Michigan USA

Post Number: 16
I have had a Samsung HLP-5685W for about 10 months now, and just now upgraded my cable to digital with HD. Ofcourse the picture is much better than it was, however on the HD channels, I notice (especially during fast motion) what appears to be pixelation. And in some instances, usually scenes with bright white backgrounds, there is the occurance of something similar to the "jaggies" you see produced during DVD playback on a cheese DVD player. The cable service is Comcast, the box is a Motorola, and it is connected with the component cables they supplied with it. Should I go to a DVI connection? Better component cables maybe? Or is this normal and I am just expecting too much from digital cable? Thanks for any advice.

Username: Brentwood_steve

Brentwood, California USA

Speaking of Comcast DVRs, I had problems with my Motorola 6412 III DVR yesterday. At first, I was about to blow a gasket because my HLR5688 was exhibiting the same problems it had a few weeks ago--horizontal colored lines across the screen. That was fixed with a digital board replacement. (I'm still waiting for the LE replacement to fix the light smudges all over the screen.)

After unplugging the DVR from the wall and then plugging it back in again, the problem was gone. Phew, I was just about to call Samsung and say take it back. Needless to say, I am still a little uneasy about this TV even though the picture is AMAZING. I'll let you know what happens when the LE is replaced.

Username: Brentwood_steve

Brentwood, California USA

Post Number: 3
Update on my situation...

(On my HL-R5688W, I had faint white smudge marks scattered across the screen similar in appearance to bones on an x-ray. They were only visible at night either on the left and right bars of a 4:3 input, in a darkly lit scene or when switching between inputs.)

A different Tekniton tech came out yesterday and while he could not see the problem with the screen like the first tech could, he still replaced the LE. He told my wife that this should fix whatever problem I was having. After thoroughly testing the TV last night and tonight, I am happy to report that the screen is perfect again.

Now, I can think about getting the set calibrated. I have the DVE NTSC Component calibration DVD but since so many of you have raved about the infamous Eliab, I thought I would consider paying someone to calibrate my set for me. Can anyone recommend someone in the San Francisco Bay Area?

Username: Maxgator

Tampa, Florida Usa

Hello guys - first time posting on this forum. But, at least I'm not a newbie to HD.

Here's my problem. I have a hln437(5?)W that does not work. I managed to get paid for it by the extended warranty company and got a new HLP46.

However, I'd still like to fix it. As part of the warranty process - I got a diagnosis of a bad pcb with an estimate to repair of about $1k for parts and labor. I will spare you all the details of all the screwy things the set does. Anyway, it is obviously, not worth paying someone to repair.

I'm not afraid to do it myself (heck I changed the clutch on my fwd car) and am willing to take the risk that the part I buy turns out to be the wrong one needed.

I saw a reference by Walter (thanks for getting him the correct info FYI) to a service manual. Anyone know where I can get one and does anyone have any suggestions regarding making the repair?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tampa, Florida Usa

I guess I can't edit posts on here.

In any event, I previously had the color wheel replaced on the set. I think I recall hearing that occasionally whenthe color wheel is replaced, the techs can cause other problems by not properly securing/seating other components.

Has anyone heard that and does anyone know how to go about checking for that issue - aside from a mere visual inspection?

Tampa, Florida Usa

OK. Found the manual on-line at www.eserviceinfo.com. Takes a little work to figure out how to properly search. $35. I think I have a 4365 but will have to check to confirm.

Still, any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Username: Armyguy

Hey-

First time posting. I have an HLN437W. Bought it at CC July '03 and has been great so far with only one problem until now. Last fall the screen image started becoming distorted after an indeterminate amount of time. The picture would be fine then all of a sudden the picture would become "over exposed" (tech called it solarization). He replaced the color fly wheel and everything was fine until two days ago.

While watching TV the screen froze in a black and white over exposed image (if anyone has seen a map with contour intervals it looked like that only in black and white). The sound went on but I could not turn the TV off with the remote timer lite blinked but that was all- had to pull the plug. Turned back on and was fine. It has done this a few more times since with last couple of times I have been able to turn off with remote. Image stays for a moment then disappears. I unplug and turn on and its fine - until the next time!

I don't think it's the bulb, since the lights don't blink all at once and the TV is fine after unplugging. Called CC and a tech should be calling within 48 hours. Has anyone had this issue before and knows what is causing this? I love this TV - have Comcast HD and picture is awesome! However I now am concerned that problems are going to keep arising. Anyone with any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 653
Maxgator,

I know of four main components in these sets.
Light engine
DMD Control Module
Power Supply
Analog Board

I've never heard of a PCB.

Troy,

That's the DMD Control Module acting up. It could be heat related. There is a fan that blows on it and the fan could be dirty or failing in some way causing the module to heat up.

Username: Armyguy

FYI-

Thanks brother. Will let the tech know that when he visits next week.

Fortunately paid for another year on the extended warrenty so this will be covered. However, hoping since I will be deploying again that the wife will not have a bunch of problems with it while I am gone.

Thanks again and will post what comes out of the visit.

Tampa, Florida Usa

Post Number: 4
FYI - That's what the receipt from the repair company said. If I recall, PCB is a general term that means printed control board or something like that. So, perhaps that is the same as what you are calling the analog board.

I'll have to find the receipt - it may have some other identifying information.

Username: Angrymike

Hey guys great forum.

I have a samsung hlr5677w dlp purchased in Jan from secondact. It is still under warranty. There is a dead or stuck pixel about 2" in at center hight on the left side of the screen. I called 1800-Samsung and they said the service dept will call within 3 days to set up an apt. I'm thinking dead pixel probably means light engine problem. Do you guys think they will repair it? -I read on some other forum that they will, but I have also read that they will only repair it if there are 2 or more dead pixels on the perihpery or if there is a dead pixel near the center of the screen. What do you guys think?
1. Is it the light engine?
2. Will I have to fight like hell to get it repaired?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 658
Very rare occurrence. Samsung will make it right for you. Sounds like a stuck mirror group. You wouldn't see just one stuck mirror.

It's Sony that has that pixel policy on their LCDs. Let us know what the tech says and how it turns out.

Tampa, Florida Usa

Post Number: 5
Well, I looked at the receipt and it says PCB Misc-D with no further identification.

So is that the "analog board?" It seems that they would definitely have said DMD if it was that. Does the analog board have a formal name?

I'm going to pick up the manual to see if that helps.

Tampa, Florida Usa

Post Number: 6
FYI - I followed your link to the samsung parts site and sure enough it appears that the PCB is the Analog board.

Part Number: BP94-00434A
Division: TV
Description: ASSY PCB MAIN-ANALOG

It is the part listed for my hln.

Have you changed out one of these before? Is it something that a lay person can do/learn to do fairly easily by using the service manual?

The part is around 170 - I'd be willing to risk that to get the set working.

Tampa, Florida Usa

Post Number: 7
OK. It is a real PIA that you can't edit posts here.

I just went back to the site to re-check and erroneously checked parts for an hln437 instead of a 4365. And . . . up comes PCB Misc - Digital. A board that doesn't show up for the 4365.

So, now I'm quite confused. Hmmm.

Username: Freshdonny

Dallas, Tx USA

Just had the HLR 6178 delivered yesterday and was very disappointed. I have Comcast service with an HD/DVR box but the picture stinks. I can tell a vast difference in the digital vs analog channels but even HBO HD is not what I expected. I think the term is fragmenting but I am seeing a digital mess (relative to what I expected). I watched a variation of channels and the analog are almost imbarrable. Southpark on Comedy Central wasn't even worth watching, Family Guy was a little better but still had what looked like white lines flickering through it it, slight but visible. I've check all connections and maybe I was expecting too much (haven't connected the DVD but I will be watching much more cable than DVD) but this is my 1st HDTV set and I expected so much more. It's a big TV but I think my distance should be okay, normally from 10 - 15ft depending on spot but even from 20+ (I can view from breakfast and kitchen) it's not that great. Could it be a signal issue or is this just what you get with a larger screen without an actual HD signal? Need some insight from experienced users because I can't believe its supposed to look like this. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 659
Don,

It's all about the signal. You cannot expect anything from a cable provider to look excellent unless they are providing true digital HD signal to the set. That doesn't mean digital to the cable box, either. Anything that's standard definition is crap from a cable company. Sometimes you are better off to bypass the cable box, but it's still garbage in...garbage out. Your new big screen has enlarged the flaws in cable signal. Consider a sat service for SD.

If you want to see the best picture, hook up an old style VHF/UHF antenna to the air input and allow your digital ATSC tuner to auto scan the local digital HD networks. They will have a -1 after the channel number. Prepare to be amazed!
If you're not sure where to point the antenna go to www.antennaweb.org and click on the choose an antenna button. Enter your zip code and you will see all the local digital network channels in your area. (abc, nbc, cbs, fox, etc.) There is information on the compass direction and distance of each station from your zip as well.

Tampa, Florida Usa

Post Number: 8
You should expect analog and even some digital channels to be worse than your old CRT. It is a combination of using an HD display device and a 61" picture.

However, if you are watching HBO HD and it is an HD program - you should be pretty impressed. You should not have macroblocking. That is frequently the sign of a signal problem. Have you tried any other HD stations such as Discovery or InHD?

What kind of cables are you using? HDMI from your cable box to the TV will give you the best picture.

What settings are you using on your cable box? You should either be using either a pass-thru setting or it should be set to 720p.

Are you splitting the cable prior to going into the TV? If so are you using quality splitters? I had a terrible problem that was a real pain to diagnose that turned out to be a bad monster splitter.

If you are using HDMI cables, the box is set properly and all of your connections are good/tight, you probably should call the cable company first. They will be able to check the signal at your set top box. You can go onto some of these forums and find out how to do that yourself as well.

Dallas, Tx USA

Thanks for responses, it really helps. I think satellite is better but I don't want to go that route right now. I'd prefer to try and make cable acceptable.

I am using component cables but will try the HDMI first. A friend suggested I also try a signal booster. Any real value there?

I did not realize the cable box needed to be set to 720 so I will look at that tonight also.

I did watch InHD and is it a coincidence that I just happened to turn it there when the same video clip I constantly see playing at Fry's was on (ladybug or something on a leaf)? Anyway, I could tell it was HD but still the "macroblocking" was there. Not terrible, but present and not the quality I saw in the store.

Maybe a better description of the analog picture quality is that while surfing through channels, there was a commercial (I forget which channel) with a ship on the ocean, the ocean was somewhat wavy and the distortion was so bad you could hardly tell it was water, almost hurt the eyes.

Also, my picture doesn't seem quite as bright as I expected. I adjusted the settings but contrast didn't seem to change the picture all that much and even a little increase in brightness faded the picture beyond my liking. I am getting old so maybe it's just the eyes but this was at night and it was totally dark, similar to most store environments. Assuming I can address the signal/picture issue are there some tricks or other more obscure ways to adjust picture settings to address brightness or contrast than in the normal menu options for each?

If I'm complaining too much for someone that just got a great TV let me know, I really want it to work but am afraid there are realities I wasn't aware of that will keep me from having the experience I expected.

Dallas, Tx USA

Forgot to ask - any recommendations on a reasonably priced DVD player. I have a 1st gen Sony progressive scan that I'm not sure will give me the optimal picture quality test I need to be sure my issues aren't with the set.

Username: Asamizay

Centreville, VA Usa

Hi, I bought a samsung HLR 5067W yesterday. THe picture is great; however, when the TV is off I see a round white/gray shadow, somewhere in the center toward the top of the TV and also a white/gray horizontal line over the top of the shadow. Is this normal or there is something wrong with the screen. Please help me on this. Thanks

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 662
Answered on another thread.
One thread is enough to post on!

Username: Jeff_matthews

Like Tewsley, above, I just replaced the color wheel on my HLN617WX1 61" DLP the other night. Thank God that's done.

FYI for posterity's sake, our TV would shut itself off. Then, when we turned it back on, it would work fine for about a minute or so and then, would squeal/hum and shut itself off and try to turn itself back on - never working again after that (unless we unplugged the TV and repeated the process again).

All three lights on front would blink. Manual says time to replace lamp. Bought a lamp. They sent a lamp with the wrong plug. I scavenged the plug off my old lamp and put it on the new one. Installed it, and it was no help - same problem.

Upon reading this thread, I concluded it MUST be the color wheel because of the squeal/hum. It was.

DIY replacing a color wheel is a pain. The tech manual is a must-buy, but it is not alot of help. Expect to deal with alot of screws and remember where they go. Expect to look in there and wonder how on Earth you are supposed to get access to the color wheel assembly to replace it.

I removed a few components that I ultimately learned I did not have to remove, but that's the way it goes.

I hope I saved a few hundred bucks or more by doing this myself.

Username: Josr

I have just bought a new HLR 5064 Samsung . I have not read any posts about this model . Does that mean that there is no problems with this set? I am new to DLP and know very little about them .What is the difference between HLR5067W and the HLR 5064 ?

Jim

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 668
Congrats! It's a nice set.
They are virtualy the same set. The 64 was made for sale in Canada.

Username: Cardaway

I have the same circle issue as Assia. Anybody know what causes this?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 672
The screen will reflect any light in the room including windows.

FYI. you're saying these circles could be reflections of something in the room?

Centreville, VA Usa

I dont think it is as a result of reflections of something in the room. I have changed the position of my TV several times but I still see it in the same spot. I have made a service call to Best Buy to come and look at it.

I also have another issue and not sure if anyone else has it. when I turned it on, sometimes it takes up to 20 seconds for the TV to come on. Is this normal?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 676
When off, my screen will gather the light in the room and concentrate it to the center in a circular fashion. It's not a direct reflection. If you shift the set the appearance is altered. If yours is not altered maybe you have something else going on. As long as it doesn't affect the picture when the set is on I don't see that it matters very much.

Mine takes about 8-10 seconds to come on and maybe 30 seconds to reach full brightness.

FYI, as I described, the circles on my set are obvious when dark images are projected in that area. Basically resulting in two large circles that are brighter than the surrounding area.

I find it interesting that Assia has what seems to be the same issue. Either normal for the TV or a common defect. If it's a defect, I'm curious as to what would cause it.

Centreville, VA Usa

Cardaway: I m waiting for the tech to come by. I can update you once I find out if this is normal or a problem.

Post Number: 9
I would appreciate that Assia.

I've done some looking around in other forums and found another compliant that sounds the same (called it snowballs) and said it's a defect that can be fixed by swapping out the light engine. Sounds pretty common.

Sounds like I'll be calling service as well.

Username: Ryanb

I had this problem. The snowball effect. Only showed up on dark screens. They came out, said they'd have to replace the whole engine...then after a couple weeks, the warranty company, Warrantech, must have told Ultimate Electronics (where I bought the set) that they weren't going to pay for it and that it might just be dust on the lense or 'stamp' piece w/ all the mirrors. Finally, Ultimate Electonics came out, took my tv and cleaned it. 2 days later they brought it back and the problem was fixed. I never got a clear answer on what exactly it was, but I believe it was dust.

Centreville, VA Usa

Post Number: 6
Ryan B: this is interesting. My unit is pretty new. I got it less than a month ago. I noticed it the first day I got it.

Post Number: 10
Any updates Assia?

I called, and they contacted a local service company, but they have yet to set anything up for me.

Centreville, VA Usa

Cardaway:
Same here... the local service finally called me last week and they set up an appointment next wed. I will keep you updated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks Assia.

I'm thinking about just swapping out the TV but I don't have a truck, which makes transportation difficult.

Is there any issues with transporting these TV's on their back or front? The box might fit in the car if I play it flat.

Centreville, VA Usa

If you are still within your 30 days, the vendor should pick it up for you and swap it. That is what I heard. You dont need to take to the store.

Username: Drooling5

Strobing/whitelight flashing....help!!

Stumbled on this forum when my Sammy decided to fail on me. Everyone - thanks for some great info.

Need some help, and didn;t see this issue addressed on the board. I bought a Sammy HLN4365 almost 2 years ago. Never had a problem - until now. The set works great, however after about an hour of viewing the screen starts flashing white lights. The longer I leave it on, the worse it gets - eventually, the light becomes so bad the set starts "strobing". If I turn it off for a few minutes, and back on again, the picture is good for a few minutes then it starts "flashing" again.

Seems to me that there might be a cooling problem so I moved the set toward the air conditioner - works great now, but I'm worried that I might be making things worse by blowing dust into the unit.

Anyone know what the problem might be? Faunty fan? dust in unit? I really don't want to call for service if it's something I can do on my own, but I'm pretty clueless about these things.

Great forum! Thanks in advance!!!

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 711
Yup! Take the back off. Find the safety cover switch and tape it closed. Use the brushy attachment to your vac hose and clean things up in there. Clean the two fans really well. Power it up. Check that both fans are spinning the same and quietly. One fan is for the lamp. The other fan cools the DMD control module, which is what's heating up and flaking out. Hope it's not to late for that module. Cleaning the inside and checking the fans should be done every six months. It's excellent preventive maintenance!

FYI - Thanks!!!

You were right. Lots of dust in there. Did exactly what you said and it appears to be working fine now. I just hope that the strobing didn't damage anything (DMD control module).

Thanks again. You saved me the trouble of having to pay good money for a tech to come over. I appreciate it. I'm lucky to have found this blog.

Mike.

Username: Amirson

Hi everyone,
I've been searching for a solution to this problem for a while now, but I can't find anything similar. I have a samsung HLN617W, and the problem is that it seems to loose all tones of red most of the time. Most of the time when you first turn it on, the screen is only on tones of red for the first 1 - 5 minutes also. Some days it will work the whole day, most days it will start red and then it will go to green and blue tones for long periods of time.
Does anyone have any ideas of what this may be?
thanks

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 726
amir,

It's another case of a failing DMD control module. I doubt seriously that it's the color wheel. How long has it been since you cleaned the inside and checked the two fans? Read my post above. Hope it's not too late for that module!

Username: Amirson

Thanks FYI, I will clean it today. If it is too late for the module, how expensive is it to replace it or fix it? do you have any idea? Thanks again

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 727
Not sure!
Call 1-800-SAMSUNG.

Username: Goodman

Help needed ! A vertical darkened line about one and a half inch wide to the far left side of the screen, with picture, but darkened about twice as much the normal brightness, appeared last night while watching a DVD movie. no signs of lamp to be in need of changing,( No indicators flashing )The rest of the screen working awesome.
TV SET: Samsung DLP HL-R7178W
TIME OF VIEWING PLEASURE: Only 7 Short months!
Thanks. By the way, great discussion forum.

Username: Barch

I have a 3 yr. old Samsung HLM437 DLP TV. Yesterday,
(a particularly hot day), the picture dissappeared and the
TEMP light flashed. After disconnecting and allowing plenty
of time to cool (with additional fan), it would repeat the
same scenario after about 1 minute of viewing. I removed
the lower cover and cleaned the fan (very dusty) the next
day. No change. After taping the safety switch , I could
view the fan and lamp while working. Both seemed
to work fine, but after a minute, the lamp would shut down, then
the fan, then the temp light would flash. I have replaced
the lamp twice in the past but the symptoms were different;
the lamp would gradually take longer to come on, and
eventually wouldn't come on at all. Any ideas? I only noticed
1 fan, is the other accessed from the upper cover? I haven't removed that yet.

Correction to last post. All three lights on front panel flash. According to the manual, this means replace the lamp. It just seems odd
that it starts up fine, but shuts down at about
1 minute every time.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 730
Well...it's either the lamp getting too hot from a widened arc gap (likely) or the fan has slowed from normal operation (also likely) or a thermal switch is flaking (unlikely) or the ballast pulse voltage (65v) is dropping out. (a possibility) I'd try your spare lamp first. If the problem repeats replace the fan. If that doesn't work I'd consider a thermal switch then a ballast.

Take the back off and clean everything in there with the brushy attachment to your vac hose. This should be done every six months. Locate the other fan, which blows on the DMD Control Module (very expensive) and clean it really good. It's just a projector, which pulls air through it constantly to keep thing within proper operating temps. Keeping things clean in there will make everything last longer.
Good luck! Best regards!

ok - I'm the guy who posted earlier about the "strobing" (HLN4365). I cleaned things out, and it only worked for a little while. The strobing is back. The unit starts strobing after about an hour of use. Does anyone know what the problem is? Better yet, anyone know if it's a part worth replacing, and even better, how much is this going to run me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm about at my wits end with this unit. I can't even get through a ballgame without having to turn it off a few times for about a half an hour to let it cool off. THen it works for another hour or so before I have to shut it down again.

Thanks everyone, for your help!!

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 735
You might try replacing the DMD fan or set up an auxilary fan but I think the DMD Controller has been hot one too many times. There's a guy on ebay that sells them at a discount. He's under the "Samsung lamp" search. Otherwise, try here. www.samsungparts.com

Personally, I would upgrade to an HL-R5067W. They can be purchased for $1229 these days. That's incredible since I paid $2600 for mine 14 months ago. If you register online Samsung extends the factory warranty to 15 months. Pay with a credit card and it doubles the factory warranty.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=7752057&search=hlr+5067

Username: Romanzf

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA USA

Hey all...just got highly disappointed after sitting down to watch a baseball game on DirecTV on my 50" Samsung DLP. About a year ago, my lamp went out and I had to pay a service provider in LA to come and swap out the lamp and I believe the fan (it cost me $600 including labor)...I just ordered the BP96-00224J from Samsungparts.com at $180 (includes tax and shipping/handling)...two questions: can I swap the lamp out myself? the tech that did it last year told me the chemicals in the lamp require "special handling/disposition" I think he was full of crap but who knows...question two, if I can do it myself, do I need a manual in addition to the one that came with the TV and what kind of tools will I need? (screw drivers etc) and oh..one last thing...is this an ESD sensitive repair/replacement? Thanks in advance for any feedback...

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 743
Just don't touch the glass with your bare fingers. The oil transfer will create a hot spot. Otherwise, it's easy. Usually one phillips set screw and it pulls right out. Lamps are owner replaceable. Says so in the User Manual. I would take the back off and clean the inside with the brushy attachment to your vac hose every six months. Makes changing the lamp easier too.

Username: Ocinstaller

i just replaced my lamp in my plh403w2 samsung dlp and just a couple of weeks later i now have this dark spot or shadow in the middle of my screen...any one got an answer to this one?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 746
It's either on the lens or the mirror. It could be a hunk of dust or a bug.

Username: Ocinstaller

where is the lens or mirror? are these easily gotten to? and should i just use a micro fiber towel to clean it off? thanks

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 748
If your model doesn't have hatch holes in the sides...the screen must be removed. Did you vac everything when you replaced the lamp? The first reflector is back there.

From above:

"Take the back off and clean everything in there with the brushy attachment to your vac hose. This should be done every six months. Locate the other fan, which blows on the DMD Control Module (very expensive) and clean it really good. It's just a projector, which pulls air through it constantly to keep thing within proper operating temps. Keeping things clean in there will make everything last longer."

Username: Rockwalldoc

Rowlett, TX United States

Has anybody else experienced this problem:

At random times the channel information appears. I've removed all remote controls from the room and covered the IR receiver on my set (HLR5087W; still under warranty), but it still happens. This significantly detracts from the movie viewing experience.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 750
Sounds like a service call!
Never heard of that one.

HAVE 42" SAMSUNG DLP. Cleaned both fans throughly
as well as anything else I could reach. New
bulb came yesterday. TV worked for 3 minutes then
shut down. Would not come back on. I removed
the bulb and noticed it has glass shards inside.
Bad bulb? Could the Tv have caused this?
Installed the old bulb and it has same
problem resulting in replacement. Turns on
for 30 seconds then shuts down, will restart
after unplugging, but only for 30 seconds.

Username: Jcissell

I have a DLP HLP5663W and have it hooked up to HD-DVR cable box. My father-in-law was playing with the remotes to turn it off and now I cannot recieve a digital signal from the cable box. I had it hooked up with HDMI cable. Samsung had local rep come and look at it and he said it was a cable problem. I got a new cable box and it still didn't work. I tried with component cables and it worked briefly (5 minutes though pic was flickering)now it again is not recieving a digital signal. It will work analog with RCA cables.

Username: Roadrashcbr

FYI , i bought a hls5687w a month ago , everything was great until a couple days ago,sounds like Garcia's problem recently posted,but there's a black diagonal stripe all the way on the right side of the screen about 2 inches wide on top that narrows down to the bottom,seems to be getting bigger,the rest of the picture is flawless,still waiting for service guy to check it. Do you know anything about this.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 762
It does sound a lot like Garcia's problem. Let us know what the service guy replaces. Garcia didn't bother to tell us. I'm thinking DMD Control Module. Sometimes they just replace the entire light engine tray. Good luck with it.

Username: Rrieck

I have a Samsung HLM5065W DLP. The sound through the normal TV speakers stopped, but I can listen when routed through my stereo. Looked for hidden mute settings in the menu, but could not find anything. Now thinking it is hardware related. Any tips ? Thanks in advance !

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 766
I wouldn't own a 50 inch tv without a minimum Dolby 5.1 surround sound home theater system. TV speakers suck! To me, it's no great loss! These Dolby receivers are under $200 with quality as great as .07 THD. Why would anyone have the great picture without the great sound?

Username: Jts_in_chi

That's great advice, FYI, but you didn't give bj the tips he asked for. We all appreciate your expertise, don't get me wrong, but "it's no great loss!" isn't very helpful to someone who's asking a serious question.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 767
Well...there is no hidden mute setting!
I think it'a hardware problem too!
I'm not an electronics technician!
I still think it's no great loss!
What tips are you referring to?

Username: Jts_in_chi

I personally don't have any tips... I was just saying that bj was innocently asking for tips anyone could provide. Telling someone who spent more than $1,000 on a TV that #1) the built-in speakers not working is "not a great loss" and that #2) he basically has to buy an external system, (even if the price is small) just to have audio, is not helpful.

I agree that it makes sense to have a home theater system in conjunction with the TV... that doesn't mean the audio on the TV itself shouldn't work. There are many times I put on my TV and don't crank on the home theater... watching the news, for example. bj, I hope you find an answer to your problem... getting audio out of the TV seems like a minimal request.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 768
"asking for tips anyone could provide"

"I personally don't have any tips"

Jay...you're not making sense or being helpful!
You're being critical of my supported suggestion to not use the set's speakers, which is helpful. The only obvious alternative is to set up a service call.

Username: Gmf

general question...
have a samsung HLM437W that tries to start 3 times (sound at power unit) then flashes 3 lights (needs new bulb). makes no sounds during this process...with no history on set would the price of new bulb justify giving set a try at working ? very clean inside, both fans work quietly.
thanks for knowledgable advice.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 784
It's a projector!
All projectors require replacement lamps!
What the alternative? Throwing it away?
I'll take it! :-)

Username: Gmf

hear you FYI...
i should have been clearer.
knowing little about this technology and this set i do not know if this could be a pandora's box to get operational...ie..if too much stuff will likely be required, scrapping attempt and getting newer technology.
obviously if lamp is only issue...no brainer.
does no chime or sound at start attempt signal other issues?
are these sets vulnerable to other known issues?
thanks for your input.

Username: Unfortunate_events

Hi, I have a problem and was hoping someone could help. First let me say that I have no experience with any HDTV stuff and my lingo is atrocious because I have no idea of all the proper names. Anyway, I am house-sitting for someone on vacation and they have a Samsung HDTV thing. I don't know about the numbers or whatever but maybe someone will know as I talk about it. I turned on the TV and after a few minutes the picture disappeared and a message box in the center of the screen starting blinking like crazy. It said something like no ATV signal or something about a signal being lost I don't remember. Anyway then the screen went blank. The power button is a circle with timer, lamp, and standby/temp arranged in it. The lamp word started blinking and then I tried to turn it on and the standby/temp word lit up and then nothing happened and no words were lit up for a few seconds. It did this in that order every time I tried to turn it on. After a couple of days I came down to the living room where the TV is to try to turn it on again and all three lights were blinking. If someone can help me I'd really appreciate it. I'm just afraid I broke the darn thing or something. Oh, and I don't know if this is relevant but they have a dish thing. It's bigger than the one people put on their roof and it sits it their front yard. But it's not super big. I would say maybe 1.5 to 2 feet in diameter. I thought maybe the signal was lost because the people I'm house-sitting for have a kitten that likes to screw around behind the TV. I am not about to touch the wires back there and poke around to see if something came undone unless I have to. Any help would be appreciated.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 788
g f,

Just start by replacing the lamp. That's certainly what it sounds like the problem is. You should have a spare anyway. If it doesn't fire up you can always return the lamp or sell it here or on ebay.
www.samsungparts.com

shawna,

I answered your other thread. One post is sufficient.

Just junked the DLP for a new 40" Samsung LNS-S4051D LCD HD flat screen.

Oh my God! Never buying another DLP model as long as I live.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 790
Enjoy your little 40 lcd while it lasts, Mike!
LCD stands for Liquid Crystals Die!
But...really...good luck with it!

Username: Blkhwk_driver

Not sure if anyone can help but figured I would try.. I have a Sumsung HLM437W and it worked great for a couple years and now the picture will start to bounce like the vertical hold was failing. The picture will get so bad you cannot make out what you are watching. Sometimes when you turn it off and back on it will work fine but it is getting more frequent. Has this happen to anyone else or does any have any suggestions on what to look at. This is a do it yourself repair or it wont get rerapired. Any suggestions wuld be greatly welcomed.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 853
Sounds like things are heating up in there and flaking. These projectors get real dirty inside because the fans pull air through them constantly. Take the back off and use the brushy attachment to your vac hose. Clean everything including the fans. Tape the cover safety switch shut and power it up. Look for the fans to spin equally and quietly. Fans are easy to replace if the need arises. It's the digital control board that's flaking. Hopefully, it's not too late!

I have a 3 yr old Samsung DLP HLM437W to sell. It is
currently nonfunctional. I recently replaced the lamp for
the 3rd time, but no go. After reading about the possible component problems and potential costs/headaches, I decided to box her up and purchased a plasma. The bulb that I most
recently replaced would start up fine, but shut down after
about 40 seconds. Both fans are operating, cleaned the
inside thoroughly. The new bulb (which is a Phillips and had to
have the connection exchanged with the previous Toshiba bulb)
worked fine for 2 days. This bulb is now trashed due to repeated changing of the connection/housing. It is visibly broken inside. It's possible that the bulb is the culprit, however,
I think there's more involved. The original bulb still turns on
and shuts down at about 40 seconds.
If anybody's interested in this thing, make me an offer.
Also includes service manual on DVD, no cables included. I would imagine the shipping fee (from Seattle area) won't be cheap.
Will package thoroughly.
barchoid@comcast.net

Username: Samsung_hls4266w

I have a 42" dlp and I am getting a bright sunspot in the center of the screen. Also when the room is dark you can see a series of rings in the bottom center of the screen, kind of looks like an onion cut in half if that makes sense.only show up on dark or black screens. Also shows in standby mode. Already have a tech from samsung looking into it, He is supposed to call me back to schedule an appointment. It has been just over 30 days, my fault for waiting so long. I do have a 5 year warranty on the tv through the store I purchased it from. Any thoughts? Much appreciated

Bronze Member

Centreville, VA Usa

Post Number: 12
John:

I have a 50" dlp and i have the same issue w/ white spot in the middle of the screen. I had the tech came over and he said the screen was defected. AFter 2 months the replacement screen came but I still have the same issue; so the tech took back the screen and said he will send someone else who is specialized. Have not heard from them for 2 weeks now.

Username: Cdesousa

Hello,

I have HLR4266 Samsung DLP tv around 9 months old in Canada. My problem is that after this short period of time owning this TV I was getting a noise from the TV.My extended warranty covers me for 3 yrs. The tech came in changed the colour wheel and tried to reset the colours.
Now before this problem the colurs were fine now while watching soccer games in standard definition using the S video input the grass looks out of colour a limey green not a true green of the grass.
Another problem after recent holiday in Mexico we were replaying the Camcorder tape the water there was turquiose blue on the DLP the water looks like a dirty brown not the blue it is supposed to be. Can anyone tell me if this is fixable I hve the tech coming in tomorrow what should I expect?

Thanks. CD

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 868
A re-calibration of CCA values in the service menu is in order.
A color and grey scale calibration after that.
Hopefully, he will know what he's doing!

Username: Mwatkins

LondonUnited Kingdom

Hi There,

Completely new to this forum so apologies if this sounds amateurish! I own a Samsung SP50L7HX (50" DLP rear pro) which I'm essentially very happy with. However I've recently noticed (and it may always have been the case) that a section a couple of inches square at the very top right of the screen is slightly out of focus. This is more noticeable when looking at the 'blue' screen when no video signal is present as the individual pixels that make up the picture seem to fade away; everywhere else on the screen these can be clearly seen. Any ideas? Many thanks in advance, Matt.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 877
There's a spec of dust on the mirror or on the lens. It may or may not be easily accessible. I believe the light engine for your model is in the pedestal. You can remove the back cover and/or the pedestal cover and take a look. While you're in there, take the brushy attachment to your vac hose and clean things up. Dust kills fans! Heat kills everything!

Username: Cfosterkane

Is there any way to determine whether a ballast is working properly? I have the HLN437W1x. It no longer turns on. It sounds like it's powering up, but ends up showing the 3 flashing lights after 3 tries. I opened the case and removed the lamp, however, I can't tell if the lamp is burnt out. When I press power with the cover off, a component on the ballast lights up for a few seconds, as if electricity is running through it, but then nothing happens. Does the fact that the ballast lights up like this mean the ballast works, or should that component stay lit the entire time the power is on? I am hoping this is a simple lamp failure, but looking for some help. Thanks in advance to all.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 879
Put your spare lamp in! What? You don't have one? You bought a projector. You should have a spare lamp. Try that first! Three lights is an indication of a lamp failure, per your manual. Your model is a few years old and you will need a lamp soon anyway.

UHP lamps don't have filiments. Instead, there are two electrodes with a 1mm gap between them. An arc bridges the gap through mercury gas to create a brilliant light. The electrodes burn down over time and the gap widens. The mercury gas deminishes too. Sometimes, you really can't tell if it's wasted by looking at it. On older lamps like yours there's a bulb within the bulb, which can shatter, but not always.

Username: Samiam2

Best Buy finally agreed to replace my Samsung HD DLP TV. It took a lot, but they're finally convinced that my sync issue is NOT because of my cable box. I'll have about a $3500 credit at Best Buy to replace my TV. I have a custom entertainment center that was made for my 50" Samsung. Any recommendations for another TV? DLP? LCD? Placma? It will be hooked up to my surrond sound system. Thanks!

Username: Npb

I had a digital board replaced for my 50" HLN, and the SD PQ went downhill. My old firmware was 214 (bought the TV in mid-'03 and confirmed that I had 214 at the time), but now the SM says release time of 11/30/02, 9:55, T-B3K5001-111, which I believe means the firmware is 111? I also appear to have no DNIE option anywhere in the SM or in the standard menus. The tech says he'll order a new board, but he says he has no control over the firmware version. I'm wondering what I can do about this. Does the "-111" in fact mean a firmware version of 111? Isn't that really old, I mean so old that it should be for a HLM--not a HLN?

Username: Cfosterkane

FYI....It was the lamp. Put a new one in and TV works beautifully. Tried to compare the old one to the new one and couldn't tell a difference. So, the lesson for others is, you can't tell the bulb is out by looking at it. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing for the next 3000-5000 hours.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 885
Kewl! :-)

Don't forget to take the back off and clean things up in there with a brush attachment to your vac hose. Cleaning the inside every six months can prevent premature failure of several major components. After all, it's a projector that pulls air through it to keep things cool. With the air flow comes dust, lint, hair, bugs, etc. Pay extra attention to the cooling fans. Tape the cover switch shut and power up the set. Check that the fans spin equally and quietly. They are easy to replace if needed.

Username: Schneck

Greetings all. I own a Samsung HL-P5063W DLP TV that is 1.5 years old. I've started to notice an odd verticle line directly in the center of the screen. The line appears pixelated and appears the same color as what is on screen at the time. It is more pronounced when there is movement on the screen. I know this is somewhat vague, but it's difficult to explain. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar, and are there any recommendations as to what I should do.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thank you!

Scott

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 899
It's a digital board issue. Do you have an extended warranty? Either way, call 1-800 SAMSUNG prompts 2, 1, 3, 1 and tell them about it. They are very good with original owners. Sometimes you have to get past the first two levels of CS.

Username: Npb

This is a follow-up re: my situation, and hopefully others will benefit. I have a 50" HLN, and when the tech came out to replace my analog board to fix a problem with certain inputs (composite and RF inputs were resulting in lines), he discovered that the analog board was fine, and the digital board needed to be replaced.

He had brought a digital board just in case. Anyway, he installed the digital board and left when he determined that the lines on the inputs were gone. Unfortunately, the PQ went downhill, especially on SD feeds. There was very bad pixelation (compared to before), and when I tried to find DNIE to turn on image enhancement, it was nowhere to be found. After much research, I confirmed that the digital board was super old and that it had super old firmware: release date of Nov. '02 and firmware was 111 (as opposed to the 214 firmware that came with my TV in mid-'03).

The tech said he would order a new board with at least firmware version 214. Anyway, he came out today with the new board, but he had exactly the same problem. He showed me the part # that he ordered on the invoice, and the invoice showed that a different part number was shipped to fill the order.

Basically, Samsung is shipping him super old digital boards to repair my TV. A quick look at the boards reveals that they don't even have a DNIE chip on them, and the FLI version is 2200 instead of my old digital board, which had, I believe 2310. I confirmed my suspicion that Samsung was messing me over by googling the exact part # that they shipped to the tech, and it came up as a part for the HLM series of TV's--as opposed to my HLN.

I know that another user reported degradation of PQ after his digital board was replaced, and I would bet Samsung did the same thing to him.

The tech now fully understands the problem, and he claims he is going to call the parts dealer directly--as opposed to merely corresponding with him via email.

Username: Budclerk

have a HLN506 and for the past couple of days the tv would shut off on its own.... i was able to unplug it and power it back on..... that was until last night

as of last night the tv will not turn on...at all!!! after pressing the power button, the lamp light will blink for a second or 2 and then i hear a clicking noise like i used to hear when i shut the tv off... and then nothing

do i have a fan problem?? a lamp problem?? or something much worse?? how do you determine whats wrong?? if i need professional help, can anyone recommend someone in NYC
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us