Samsung HLs5687w!! Engine replacement?????????????

Username: Sooner55

Post Number: 7
Jumping to the point the black bars on my tv bend dramatically. Curving up and down from top to bottom. Technican came out and said every new engine they send him is usually right on spec and that he will order a new one instead of doing geometry settings. This TV is brand new maybe a month old. You think a new engine will help geometric issue? He also said he would do a calibration for me.

Gold Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1035
It's not the light engine!

It's the screen!

Take your knuckle and press against the screen at the edge of the black bar and watch it bend.

Many DLP screens have varying degrees of this so-called "pincushion" effect. A learned technician will say that up to a half inch is common and acceptable. Anything beyond that can be corrected with a screen adjustment or replacement. The bow is more of a characteristic than a actual geometric problem. In a few weeks you won't even pay attention to it...unless it's really skewed.

I have a half inch bend in my black bars on the rare occasion that I watch something in 4:3 SD.
My local digital channels are quickly moving to full time 16:9 HD broadcasts...except for commercials, which will be economically forced to convert eventually.

******************************************************************************** ************

Post Number: 8
Well, should I have it replaced? Will it hurt anything?

Gold Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1036
Nah...won't hurt a thing.
Give it some time, though.
You might blow it off.

Post Number: 9
Thanks I appreciate it!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums