Loading Bin using a USB-Serial converter

Bronze Member
Username: Windsorite

Post Number: 20
My Notebook does not have a serial port. I tried using a USB-serial converter and a Null Modem cable for downloading the bin on my PANSAT 2700A. It doesn't seem to work.

Has anyone ou there tried downloading the Bin file using a USB-Serial converter and Null Modem cable. Please share your experiences / suggestions / comments.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Mrrasec

Post Number: 124
yes i did.
do you speak spanish?

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
yes i did.
do you speak spanish?

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 7650
Many times this will NOT work...depends on the puter...and u need the correct drivers with the serial to USB adapter..U may want to google the manufacturer for the driver..

Bronze Member
Username: Fuideny

Post Number: 32
i use a usb to to rs232 which I bought about a year ago at the source. I use port #4 to download. I,m not sure what make it is but the source only had one make so I would imagine they still carry the same one. Have had no problems

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
i will try english.
install drivers and use same way standard cable, but you must change port com to #4 o 5

Gold Member

Post Number: 7653
savoy...your English is better than many here, especially a guy named "cartier" here...U have no problems in English..

Silver Member
Username: Charjam

Post Number: 106
I did this i got an adapter from radio shack it comes with a CD to install it on your computer then you have to go and find which port it went to then use that port and it should work

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
thank you

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Great ... Thanks for all the replies.
I already have the driver installed and it seems that it rocgnizes port #4, but the download percentage never goes up and stays at 0%, I waited for about 10 min before I gave up.

One question though:
My USB-Serial connector has male serial inteface (pins). Also Pansat 2700A has male interface, so I'm using a Null Modem cable in between the USB-Serial & Pansat 2700A. Probably thats where the problem is??

Did any of you had to use the Null Modem (or Rs232 Gender changer)?

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Fuideny

Post Number: 34
yes I have to use the rs232 gender changer. I also bought this at the source. For some reason it's the only gender changer I can use. Don't know why but it works so I don't worry

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 1839
Windsor.Guy : The set up is correct. If I understand you correctly, you have USB to 9pin Male straight RS232 connector (not a cable), and then you have a DB9 F/F null modem cable.
1. Could it be that you are trying to upload a zipped file? It should be a file with .bin extension.
2. Also you should be using loader 27.01.
3. If I have misunderstood you, and you have two cables, the total length could have an impact. Ideally the total length is best kept under 6 feet.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Arite ...

I guess I'll buy a gender changer and give it a shot, so far I've been using my null modem cable...

Windsor.Guy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Hey ... Nalin
I've got the latest BIN and loader. USB-Serial is indeed a cable (around 12 inches long). The combined length of Null Modem and conncetor cable is way below 6 feet.

Any thoughts ?? Thanks a lot !

Gold Member

Post Number: 1842
Just in case your total cable solution has become a stright RS232, then a gender changer in series would help. You final cable must be a null cable and when one is not sure of the current cableing a gender changer is the solution to give both options.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1843
Ignore above post - there is a mistake. I meant as follows.
Just in case your total cable solution has become a stright RS232, then a gender changer in series would help. You final cable must be a null cable and when one is not sure of the current cableing a NULL MODEM M/F adaptor is the solution to give both options.

Bronze Member
Username: Pffft

Ya Right

Post Number: 71
for about an extra $10 you can get a dual RS232 db9 cable....has both rs232 and db9 on both ends.
not sure if its practical but works great for me

Gold Member

Post Number: 1852
RS232 is a standard established by the industry over 30 years ago, requiring certain speeds and bit transmissions of data over long distances including over telephone wires. The first cables were 25 pin at each end and they could be M/M, M/F, F/F. Early IBM PCs stuck to this pin out. Later the industry adopted a smaller 9 pin version. This 25 pin or 9 pin was just a physical layout and shape for connections. Initially and even now you can buy 25 pin to 9 pin adaptors and cables.
In the early days the modem signal standard was established. The signals on pin 2 and 3 were switched, so that pin 2 at one end ended up as pin 3 at the other end. The null modem standard is about carriage of and switching of signals.
For short distances, there was 8 bit transmission or 'parallel' transmission, where the 8 bits of data were sent out simultaneously. The distances were short '" maximum length of cables being 50 feet.
Much later because of higher speed needs, the Universal Serial Bus was established and is known in short as USB. The PCs as we know them today do not have the old serial output '" they only use the USB. USB is no good over long distances. The PCs of today have abandoned parallel transmission over short distances because the USB speeds are more than adequate for the needs.

Bronze Member
Username: Asifali418

Lodi, Ca Usa

Post Number: 38
i have same promlem too.i but usb converter from raido shake.and i instal the driver .i buy the some female convertr to because the other caber has male pin.but its not going then 0% .plz help me thnks

Gold Member

Post Number: 7851
U can get a wireless USB adapter, this particular one works on all receivers..

Connecting your computer with your satellite receiver is simple and easy with the ExtremeView Serial Wireless Cable modules. Our Serial Wireless Cable module enables you to load files like you do with your serial cable on ANY Satellite Receiver that has a serial RS232 and a computer with a USB port - WIRELESSLY. By using our Serial Wireless Cable modules you eliminate the need to move your computer to your receiver or move your receiver to your computer.

The ExtremeView Serial Wireless Cable does not require any software to establish a Bluetooth connection. There is also no need to change any software on the connected devices. IT IS A TRUE PLUG AND PLAY DEVICE. You just plug Serial Bluetooth adaptor into your satellite receiver and plug the USB adaptor into computer and you are connected to the satellite receiver and are ready to load. The ExtremeView serial is a true "cable replacement" product.

The Serial Wireless Cable modules conform to the industrial standard EIA-232-E for serial data communication and act as transparent pass through devices, i.e. as a RS-232 cable without wires. It provides complete emulation of all RS-232 signals.

Requirements
• Any Windows operating system
• Linux, OpenBSD, freeBSD
• Mac OS 8, 9, 10 and later

Gold Member

Post Number: 1938
The receivers need either straight RS232 or a null modem 9 pin usually F/F.
If you are not sure of the signal/pin set up of your final configuration, you can reverse it by buying a null adpator of the appropriate sex (probably M/F).
This applies universally - whatever way you started your configuration, of if you have borrowed cable(s) and you do not know what the end pinout is, use it as is and if it does not work then use the same setup with an added null adaptor with the appropriate ends.

Gold Member
Username: Prfrmnj

Post Number: 2107
If you happen to have a multimeter just measure continuance between pins two and three. If you have continuance between pins two and three then you have a straight cable. If you do not have anything then measure from pin 2 on one side and pin 3 on the other. If you have continuance then you hare a null modem cable. The USB adapter is only going to configure that port into a com port but will not change your end product as far as the cable.

Silver Member
Username: Pffft

Ya Right

Post Number: 107
umm im a bit lost on this post PRFRMNJ and dont take this disrespectful. just wondering if you mean continuance or continuity?

Bronze Member
Username: Asifali418

Lodi, Ca Usa

Post Number: 40
i have nul cable

Silver Member
Username: Letmeon

Post Number: 138
USB to serial adapters' timing is not matched to
program bins to sat receivers. They are OK for channel list dL/UL.

Username: Shhh

Post Number: 2
I have Lifetime Classic NA. Can some one tell me where can I go for new firmware. New keys are not working?Please help.

Silver Member
Username: Brucester

Post Number: 315
you can get info on that at this site dssrookie*com dot forget to chang the *to a dot .

Gold Member

Post Number: 7916
New keys DO work!...there is NO new Classic bin for todays key change!

Post Number: 3
I am new. Please explain in detail. Thanks
Why new keys are not working in my Lifetime Classic NA? Am I missing something?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7937
this is the latest Fortec classic NA bin...13 Feb...input new keys with this bin and U should be all set..

[link removed]

LIFETIMECLASSICNA_070213 AR

In detail, U need to do some serious reading and I would DEFINITELY get rid of that very UNPOPULAR receiver that has little to no software support at most sastellite sites..

Post Number: 4
Thanks a lot. I will try it.

Post Number: 5
It was a success! Thanks alot.

Post Number: 6
Can some one tell me where can I get new bin for
MultiStar Pantec? Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 2038
Nasir: The Multistar pantec BIN can be found at many sites in the Pantec section. Some of the sites are:

http://www.totalfta.com
http://www.dssevolution.com

Get the loader and instructions as well when you are there.

Gold Member
Username: Prfrmnj

Post Number: 2159
Continuance and Continuity are pretty much the same. What I am trying to say is that if you use a multimeter set to measure Ohms then on a straight cable, you will get a ready from pins 2 mached with pin two on the other end and pin 3 and mached on the other end. If it is a null modem cable then you will not get a reading as the cable are inverted at the other end.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us