Am I stuck with just HD channels now?

Bronze Member
Username: Oneweight

Post Number: 12
I recently purchased a Samsung LNS3296 LCD for my bedroom and a Samsung HP4273 plasma for the theatre. They are both connected directly from Comcast HD boxes via HDMI. HD looks beautiful on both of them but regular channels look pathetic, especially on the plasma. I'm good with the HD channels but my younger kids watching cartoons (Nik, Noggin, etc) that are extremely fuzzy is terrible. I see everyone squinting and to some degree, fear this might damage eyesight. I don't mean to overdo it, but it's pretty bad.

Best Buy recommended coax for the analog channels and just switch sources to HDMI on HD channels. Is this a decent recommendation? Is there a way to improve the clarity of these channels?

thx

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 505
You have to start with few basics
- Make sure your house is wired with RG-6 with good crimps
- It is a great possibility cable utility reception is bad or they didn't set it right

- In receiver set advanced setup to enable
* 480 standard
* 480i
* 480p
* 720i
* 720p
* 1080i
As well as set the wizard for auto switching
Try to call Comcast to walk you thru it

If this doesn't fix the problem
- Call Comcast tell them you need to install an inline booster/amplifier. Will make a world difference if they havn't.

Bronze Member
Username: Oneweight

Post Number: 13
When you say, "in receiver, set advanced...." are you talking about the Comcast box or my receiver? As I noted above, I have HDMI directly from Comcast to panels. This was recommended by my AV guy for "best picture". Is this right?

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 551
Yes Your Comcast Receiver is your HD tuner
This is what you have to set the wizard
Unless you are using TV tuner, cable won't work as an HD.

HDMI from cable box to your TV
HDMI or RGB (components)+LR from HD DVD player to TV
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us