HGTV and "Hidden Channels" gone!

Username: Hockeyn

Post Number: 1
I decided to subscribe to Comcast just to get the local stuff of interest. When it was hooked up to my Samsung DLP. I noticed several "hidden channels" and many of which were in HD. It gave me another recording option as well as it was nice whenever my DTV went out do to wind, snow...etc...Now today almost all of it is gone...Some of the stations you can hear, but no picture. Poor signal strength comes up on the tv. Is there anything that can be done? How/why did it go off all of a sudden. Thanks!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 500
Well Fred
I don't quite understand your situation if you can provide more info
- Did Comcast give you HD receiver?
- If you can hear but you see still picture (these are Audio Channels)
- If you can hear but black screen, that is a problem
- Do you have a TIVO/DVR?
- I'm familiar with all signal problems, I'm not familiar with no video while there is an Audio. If you can clear this a bit
- With cable services hidden channels usually the ones that you are not subscribing to.
- Did you know that you can pick up all local channels with an external amplified antenna like TERK for about $70 will let you get ch 2-69 in superior high quality.
- Or just ask Comcast to give you the new HD receiver that has both digital channels and HD like channels 702,704,705,709 etc.

Username: Hockeyn

Post Number: 2
Thanks King. No I dont have an HD receiver. I recieved the channels through the TV in which the cable is directly connected to. I imagine that someway they reduced the signal strength as I am not paying for HD service...It just came through for a while. Its not a huge deal at all as I have DTV HD....But I did occasionally record off of it...Plus I was just wondering why it works one dya and not the next....!!Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Pixelswim

Post Number: 13
Fred, Do you know whether your Samsung DLP has a "QAM" tuner? What is the exact model (or you can look at the specs at the samsung site yourself). A QAM tuner, after running Auto Program for channel memorization, would tune in any digital SD and HD channels that are in-the-clear (ie. not scrambled.) This should include the local stations. Is this what you're asking about?

Bronze Member
Username: Wanabtech

Post Number: 66
TV's with QAM tuners should pick up any unencoded channel that is being passed by the cable companies, without any assistance from other equipment such as a CC or STB. Some of these are the "off air's", some are not.

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 533
I think I know what it is
But correct me if I'm wrong
- You have a regular analog cable line
- You got an HD DTV service
- I'm still not sure how or what U R recording

For regular cable you can't get HD broadcast my only guess you are picking analog channels 2-75 some of them in 16:9 which you thought is HD but they are not. HD channels are encrypted in PowerVue by Scientific Atlanta will be ch 700 to 799

But to answer your original question if you want local HD just get an HD antenna free monthly charge and make sure you set it right. or ask your local cable provider to upgrade to HD box usually $5 to $8 extra per month.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us