Desperate for advice on DLP purchase!

Username: Eig

Post Number: 1
I'm moving out of the house and after spending 10-12 years watching TV on really old 27 or 14 inch TV's I've decided to get something that won't hurt my eyes. I did a lot of research and decided on a DLP (my friends have them and I havn't experienced any problems with that "rainbow effect"). My budget is roughly $1,500 Cdn (before taxes etc..) and I was aiming for a 50-52 inch. Just recently I saw Costco has the RCA M61WH74S for $1,600 after a $400 instant rebate from the manufacturer. I was skeptical because it seemed too cheap for a 61 inch DLP. The store didn't provide any specs for the TV so I looked them up last night and for some reason they never show the contrast ratio or brightness???

So my problem is pretty obvious. It seems like a good deal, but I don't have all the info. Not to mention all the horrible things I've been reading about RCA on this board so far. I don't plan to pay for HD anytime in the next year or two because there just arn't that many channels available yet to justify the cost so getting a TV with 1080p isn't high on my priorities. I just want a large, clear picture on my TV for watching movies, lots of reruns and playing PS2.

Should I go for a smaller DLP from another company? I believe I'll be happy with an older 44 to 61 inch DLP that doesn't support 1080p (keep in mind I've been watching TV on a really old 27 inch for most of my life). Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Thank you!

Gold Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1028
Eric,

HD reception is free using an off-air old style vhf/uhf antenna. Enter your zip after clicking "Choose an Antenna" at this site. www.antennaweb.org
Free digital HD channels usually have a -1 channel designator.

Even standard def benefits from 1080P scaling. A 1080P doesn't convert a standard def picture to HD, but it scales (enlarges) 480i very nicely.
Free digital local off-air reception is mostly 1080i transmissions. A 1080P set makes the most of these signals. The benefits are instantly realized.

My choices...

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Samsung_HL_S5087W_50_DLP_Projection_TV,__19063796 /sort_type=price

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Samsung_HLS5687W_56_DLP_Projection_TV,__19432410/ sort_type=price

Bronze Member
Username: Mrage

Post Number: 21
dont buy samsung there junk

Username: Eig

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the info FYI. Unfortunately I can't use the antenna site you provided since I live in Ontario. I still have no clue about the kind of TV I'm going to purchase and it seems like the more I learn the harder the decision becomes. Something tells me I will end up buying a simple 32 inch flat screen projection TV and wait until DLP's become more reliable in general (if that ever happens). There seems to be a consensus that RCA's are complete garbage and the opinions on Samsungs are split. I don't need the best technology out there, just something that would constitute a step up from what I have, which isn't much.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us