Samsung DLP HLP4663W power shut off

Username: Johnspncr

Bloomsburg, Pa USA

Post Number: 3
I have a 2 year old Samsung HDTV with a great picture but it has developed a sporatic problem. Sometimes the set will shut off without the chime within 30 minutes of the original start up. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

Username: Meluvtv

Post Number: 1
Same problem with my HLP5663wx. Sometimes the lamp and standby lights will flash after shutdown but not always. I'm awaiting a service call on my extended warranty.

Post Number: 3
As is often recommended by "FYI" on these boards I took off the back and cleaned the two fans. FYI says to use the brushy attachment to a vacuum but mine didn't fit in the tight space. I used a propellant spray computer cleaner to clean the actual fan blades...easy. So far no shutdowns in two nights of viewing. Still await approval from my EW company for service call.

Username: Johnspncr

Bloomsburg, Pa USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the information. Let me know what the tech says our guy could not find the problem. We staarted to log the auto shut downs and it is within the first 5 to 15 minutes. Maybe it is something that needs to heat up?

Post Number: 6
No problem. Still no contact from my extended warranty company...however...no shutdowns since the fan cleaning! Knock on wood. Don't be afraid to try the fan cleaning, it's a lot of screws to remove the whole back panel but truly a piece of cake. I'm not sure if I want the service call now.

Username: Bryanr

Post Number: 2
Yes, cleaning the fans fixes the powering-off problem. Thank you, Mr/Ms FYI! Here are some details:

I had the identical problem on my 2-year-old Samsung P5063W/HL DLP TV. It suddenly started powering-off soon after turning it on. It would continue to do so many times but eventually would stay on. I kept a log one time, it stayed on for 6, 8, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, and 6 minutes, and then stayed on indefinitely. I waited about one minute after each turn-off before turning it back on.

So I read this thread and cleaned the fans. It was quite easy. My TV only has 14 screws holding the lower back panel. There's no need to remove the upper back panel, or the lamp cover (it comes off with the panel). The small fan is very accessible. I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and Q-tips. The bigger fan, that cools the lamp, is not so accessible, but after removing the lamp (also easy) I was able to reach in and clean the blades between my fingers. I also cleaned all the airways the fans blow through, including the curved baffles attached to the lamp cover, which I dismantled, also easy.

Interestingly, none of them looked dirty, they just had a faint coating of dust. I was doubtful I'd made any difference, but I had.

My theory is that it only takes a fine layer of dust to disrupt the airflow, and it might even slow the fans. We had some cabinet work done recently in the same room, with a sander that sent a fine dust everywhere. Hence the sudden onset of the problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us