Archive through May 16, 2006

Username: Crown

Post Number: 1
Since getting a new Sony Bravia KDL-V26XBR1 two weeks ago, I'm pretty much at wit's end trying to get the CableCARD to work. Tried two of the Motorola cards, a Sony authorized-dealer repairman service visit, multiple phone calls to both Time Warner and Sony's upper-tier support, and both companies just blame each other.

I'm fairly satisfied that the TV diagnostics check out (the Sony repairman actually spoke with Time Warner's support tech) and that the TV is seeing and recognizing the card. I'm fairly well comfortable that Time Warner did input the host data and unit address info correctly, but I still don't know who to believe (or blame), for getting only the analog stations. Time Warner says that they almost exclusively have problems with nearly all Sony TVs (and Samsungs, by the way) and that they use the identical card in a number of other manufacturer's TVs and the card works fine. Sony says exactly the opposite--that almost all of the customer complaints they have with regard to carriers are from Time Warners customers, not Comcast, etc. I don't know who to believe--if the card does work elsewhere, I would think a Sony firmware update (or Motorola card update) would fix it. I just can't believe there are this many problems with the CableCARD (which, as luck would have it, is the only thing about which both Sony and Time Warner agree!) I'd just to a set-top box but I'm just dying to hang it on the wall, as I've been planning.

Would love to hear some helpful ideas . . . Thanks much in advance.

Bronze Member
Username: Optivity

Post Number: 47
Welcome to the club... CATV's lack of support for CableCARDs is notorious... and their approach to problem resolution... is to blame it on the TV's manufacturer.

I have an SA CableCARD from Time Warner, which is installed in a Panasonic TH-50PX50U and the CableCARD works fine.

I like the CableCARD except for the copy protection flags that Time Warner passes to disable my TV's optical digital audio out interface for all but my HD local channels.

Unregistered guest
I have 2 Sony's. The Bravia KDL-32XBR1 & the KDS-60RXBR1. The 60" is a rear projection & the cable card works fine, in fact I have the Sony DVR & it works fine there also. However in the 32" LCD TV, it does not work. TV recognizes it & finds the channels but it always says NOT AUTHORIZED.
Time Warner told me that their cable card would not work in 95% of Mitsubishi's & other sets were all a 50/50 proposition. Time Warner or Sony are no help on this issue. The tech (installer) told me some work & some don't.

Bronze Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 96
i have a pioneer elite930 hd and a comcast card. the tv guide dosen't work (and my friend who lives 20 miles from me with the same tv and card does get his tv guide) and the card appears to not let stereo and surround sound come thru on all channels. in fact my display shows most channels including the "digital music" channels to be in "mono".
this is the second card i've had and tomorrow i am trading it in for a dvr/box. the box i have on the 53" hitachi projection tv gets dolby digital just fine.

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 562
jimnak~ that's hogwash where I am 100% working Mitsubishi's as long as they are running correct version of firmware. Sony's 100%, only problems that I've had with them are corrected with replacement of the CC interface.

bill~ sounds like Comcast needs to figure out what's different in your house then your friend 20 miles away.

Angry in Iowa
Unregistered guest
I purchase a Sony Wega KD34XBR960, Cable card ready HDTV in August 05. After three attempts to get a cable card to work, and a replacement TV to prove that isn't the problem, Mediacom still can't get the cable card to work. The TV recognizes it, but won't acknowledge the "initialization" signal Mediacom sends it. Now Mediacom says Sony Wegas won't work with a Cable card. I'm screwed. I'm taking the TV back.
Des Moines Cable Customer

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 587
Angry~ You might be able to see from other threads in this forum that Sony cable card TV's in fact do work with the CC. I've heard from a lot of people that they have this problem in different systems, but be assured that they work, it appears there are some operational issue in those systems that need to be worked out by the cable providers. It's too easy for these systems to say it's the TV's fault, which I might believe if they weren't working in my own system and others. Since they do work here and elsewhere it indicates something they are doing wrong and should be looked into. Keep us posted if you get another make and have success or still have problems.

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 107
i tried two cable cards from comcast and was not satisfied. now use the dvr.

Username: Cabletool

Midwest

Post Number: 2
bill-
you can usually get both on one set, this way you can record two programs and still watch all channels through the card. Where Im at the card is free so you might as well if it is the same in your area.

As far as the GUIDE not working, most tvs have their data coming from gemstar on an analog host channel (pbs usually). If your area has been switched to ADS ( digital simulcast) then there is no longer an analog signal to carry that stream.

Its possible your friend hasnt been switched yet and you have. ( are your old analogs digi now?)

Darren Hack
Unregistered guest
I have had the same problems as listed above. Sony WEGA and CableCard. After 2 replacement cards and several visits from Comcast, I finally got a Comcast tech that simply said "let's try a signal booster on the pole". The signal strength was reading OK on the tester, but he put the booster out there anyway. Short story long, everything is working great.

Midwest

Post Number: 7
Glad to hear it! CC's are very fickle when it comes to signal. Id be interested to know what you were at before and what you are at now...

Unregistered guest
I purchased the Sony KDFE55A20 HDTV, approx 2 weeks ago. Comcast came out and installed the cable card. Checked out HD. Awesome!!! Fifteen minutes after the installer left my house the t.v. shut down. Hit the power button. Green L.E.D. came on, then went to a flashing red. (Red L.E.D. flashes 6 times then pause.) Called Sony. After running through some diag, they told me the T.V. needed service. I took the T.V. back to Circuit City. They exchanged it ok. (3o day free replacement.) I got the new T.V. home and installed the cable card. (I was very specific about installing the card the same way it came out.) Turned on the T.V. and enjnoyed H.D. again. (Play offs are on. Awesome picture.) Fifteen minutes into watching, the new T.V. shut down again. (same scenario.) Pulled the cable card, and let the T.V. power down. (Unplugged from wall.) After thirty minutes, the T.V. would still not power up. (same scenario w/L.E.D.) Both T.V.s are shot. After spending my Saturday on the phone w/Sony and Comcast and returning the T.V.'s, I'm taking this one back. Will get another T.V. Sunday. There is a serious problem w/these cable cards. The cards wiped out 2 brand new T.V.'s. Comcast is going to work w/me about a dvr, but I really liked the simplicity of the card. If anyone buys this model, watch out if you are going to use a cable card. I'll report back w/latest updates on future problems/resolutions.

Midwest

Post Number: 10

If anyone buys this model, watch out if you are going to use a cable card. I'll report back w/latest updates on future problems/resolutions.

Id be interested to hear what happens.

There is a serious problem w/these cable cards. The cards wiped out 2 brand new T.V.'s.

But if you take that card and put it in any other tv Im sure it would work fine. Sony for some reason is missing something. The card is the same card that has been used since 2004. It should interact with each tv the same exact way... unless the manufacturer sets things up otherwise.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 604
Jerry~ Have you contacted Sony about this issue, and what did they have to say about it? I've never seen anything even remotely similar to what you are describing happen on over 300 installs. Keep us posted.

Unregistered guest
Cable guy, I have been in contact w/Sony two other times, since this past weekend. They have informed me that the problem is w/Comcast. I have another install this weekend, (1-21-06,a.m), in which Comcast will send one of their "top installers". They will bring a new cable card and digital box. We will discuss options then. I will be sure that if a cable card is installed, that the rep stays awhile. Either way, if the box is installed instead, I will pursue, at a later date, that the card dilemma be resolved. With the upcoming playoffs/Super bowl, I have a big party. I want to be sure and have this t.v. fully operational. After that, Sony/Comcast can take the neccessary steps to come to a solution. ( I have been told that if the problem continues, they will take the t.v. to run whatever diagnostics needed.) Yes, I will keep you posted on any further updates. P.S. I do some have other info on motorola cable cards, (in Sony t.v's), but I need to "firm up", this info.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 615
Thanks Jerry, sounds like things are starting to click in your direction.

David R. Johnson
Unregistered guest
Is there anybody else that thinks the cable companies don't care if it works or not. In fact may prefer there be problems then they can sell more expensive services and equipment. The manufactures pushed the cable card as a low cost transition to get people to buy HDTV but the cable companies want to sell the higher cost programming and are either (a.) dragging their feet or (b.) purposefully using this a bait and switch technique to sell higher cost alternatives until they get caught. (I am betting on (b.).

Bronze Member

Midwest

Post Number: 30
None of the above.
I as well as CableGuy and CableGirlTech have been working with these CableCards, FEVERISHLY to get them working.
In most threads you will see either a problem discovered on the manufacturers end or some unknown issue on the Cable Companies end.
No one is dragging their feet. If the Panasonics are a huge issue to get going and we discover either a step by step method that is ONLY specific to Pannys or a firmware they provide then we have that one nailed.
Guess what? Pannys coming out with a new model next month, in two months we will be killing ourselves again trying to figure it out.

Why is it when I go to one house with one set my card slides in and all is good. Go next door, a different manufacturer, say a Sony and Im pulling my hair out.
Same card
Same system
Same tech
Different tv.

The cards are standard. Its the manufacturers that are not.

Again, its not that cable companies do not care, a lot of it is out of their hands.. and really, how much effort are they going to put in on a legacy card that will be replaced very soon and that less then 1% of their customer base own?

No cable company is going to use "customer furstration" as a sales and marketing tactic.

Username: Parshal

"As far as the GUIDE not working, most tvs have their data coming from gemstar on an analog host channel (pbs usually). If your area has been switched to ADS ( digital simulcast) then there is no longer an analog signal to carry that stream."

Cable Tool, Comcast just installed a cable card in my new Mitsubishi DLP and I get HD fine (except for a few stations that just don't appear at all). I was receiving all the Guide information (as well as time from PBS) when I had basic cable with the tv. They installed the cable card and set me up with the basic digital package and eight hours later the guide stopped working and the clock no longer updates. The pbs station that I tuned to to get the time update is still an analog station at the same channel number. Do you figure that they changed it to simulcast for the analog stations? I really can't live without some sort of guide, there are just too many stations!

The cable guy came out today and, basically, guide and time updates won't work over this cable card. Any help?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 686
The bigger issue at hand isn't so much that the cable providers don't want to push the product because of loss of revenue, or "dragging their feet", let's break this down cableguy style:

All cable card TV's are only one-way compliant
• No access to pay per view, movies on demand, and the interactive program guide
•each manufacturer of televisions has their own software/firmware/chip sets/specifications, that the cable providers have no control over, nor the resources to establish a common ground other then specifications set forth by the FCC
••which means when a problem occurs in manufacturer "A", but doesn't exist in manufacturer "B, C, D, etc.." it's a problem with just their product. The manufacturer isn't sending somebody out to investigate the problem, the cable provider is. The cable provider has to basically troubleshoot a problem for somebody else's equipment, that doesn't even give them training on the equipment. Now factor that in for every manufacturer of CC TV's and account for how much money the cable provider has to spend to roll a truck to the house, sometimes multiple times, credit the customer for services that are not working even though it's the TV that is at fault That being said, any company that is in business is in business to make money. Granted the cable providers are losing revenue due to the lack of features the current "one-way" devices have, but the option exist for the customer if they choose to not have those features the CC will give them what they want.
This is not to say some cable providers are not at fault for not training their techs, or problems in cable plant, or coding issues...lord knows that's been a #1 complaint from most people that the cable providers send people out that have no idea what they are doing. In defense, had the manufacturers sent a representative to each cable system to educate techs on the specific details for installing and troubleshooting problems specific to their product we wouldn't have had that problem. Since they didn't, it's obvious why there is a lack of knowledge for this product. The cable providers have an obligation under the plug and play order to provide the services, and for the most part they are doing just that. Could cable providers be doing a better job? absolutely, but then again so could the manufacturers after all it's their product.

It's a very delicate situation across the board, the TV manufacturer, the customer, the cable provider, and the CC manufacterer. The customer is stuck in the middle between the other 3, and too much finger pointing and not enough research and communication are the problem.

I understand exactly what you're saying and agree. My question is more to the point of whether the cable company is still sending the data as they were before I added digital cable and the card. I would expect the data stream to still be there but was wondering if the cable company actually changed something other than adding the card.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 690
Only your cable provider can answer that question... if you feel they are not giving you the answers you need, I would defer you to your TV manufacturer and have them esculate the matter to their QA tech engineering. Most MSO's, if not all of them, have contact information for all the manufacturers of these devices and I'm sure your TV's manufacturer would be willing to rattle some cages to find out what is going on there. That's when all the finger pointing starts, each blaming the other, so good luck with that battle but keep us posted pls.

Post Number: 3
I actually called Mitsubishi yesterday and was referred to Consumer Relations. I was told the two manufacturers of cards (Scientific Atlanta and Motorola) have a problem regarding the passing of the analog feed for TV Guide. He said that Mitsubishi is working with them to get it worked out and it would be, at the earliest, this summer for a fix. I asked about a flash update of the TV code and he said that could fix it too but that I was running the most recent version and that would be summer as well before an update. Kinda sounds a little fishy. If it were a card problem a flash update wouldn't fix it. I have also seen on boards that some people's works just fine.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 693
"I actually called Mitsubishi yesterday and was referred to Consumer Relations. I was told the two manufacturers of cards (Scientific Atlanta and Motorola) have a problem regarding the passing of the analog feed for TV Guide."
That statement is not entirely true, and only goes to show how much finger pointing is going on in this field of service. I believe the correct statement would be that certain providers are having issue with the pass-through for the Gemstar data in their respective systems. The CC manufacterers have nothing to do with that data, and I can tell you with 100% certainty the TVGOS feature in our system works just fine. I don't believe it is the CC anymore then I think it is the TV's fault...it's the cable providers or Gemstar. Case and point to support the Gemstar possibility is look at all the RCA TV's that had problems with SAP locking up. RCA blamed Gemstar, Gemstar blamed Spike TV. It's all about accountability and nobody wants to admit they screwed it up. So if you brought your Mitsubishi to my system I could show you that there is nothing wrong with your TV or the CC...you do the math

Post Number: 4
I don't question you as if I don't believe you but that I just don't understand. It works without the card just fine (I can pull the card and update the time and Guide) but insert the card and the time won't update itself on the PBS station and Guide does not update. The card only receives data from the cable company and I know that the cable stream has the data since it works without the card. So, I'm very confused how the cable company could be at fault here.

DanB
Unregistered guest
I had issues with cablecard on my Sony KDF-E42A10 rear projection LCD. Would work fine, then occasionally when I turned TV on, it would read "No Signal" on all digital channels (analog fine). Could reset cable card using menu and it would fix problem. After 4 months of cable company and service company visits, finally got Sony to admit to problem and that a repair exists. I received a courtesy letter from Sony after first repair attempt and I replied back. Sony rep actually called me back (I guess my e-mail response went pretty high up) and gave me number to call for service. Service shop did not find any repairs in their records so told me to live with it. I called Sony rep back and gave him an earful, so finally he "came across" a repair for my problem. Apparently, it requires a grounding strap for the cable card interface. Guy came out yesterday and installed the kit. Seems to be working fine now. To all with this issue on LCD rear projection TV's - call and complain, get to highest level you can, and don't let them tell you it's not a known issue . The more people who call in, the better. Good luck!

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 695
Need Help~ I understand what you're saying, like I said I know for a fact they work with the CC's because I have too many people using that feature to counter otherwise. The purpose of the CC is ensure the integrity of the cable services. In effect the CC uses the forward data carrier to get the "keys" to operate and maps the channels according to the system channel plan. The PBS/Gemstar feed is on an analog carrier and the CC's don't interact with analog channels. I could be wrong as, and I remind you it's hard to relate to other cable systems when I don't know how they are doing things, I can only speak from my own experiences with them in my systems and I can assure you the TVGOS works just fine here. One can only assume that if it works here, it should work there....but then there's that "assumption" rule.

DanB~ glad to hear you finally got it fixed. Great update posting, thanks

Post Number: 5
All of a sudden I began to get audio and no video when using the cable card. Pulled out the card and things worked fine, put the card in and no video. Cable Co. comes back out again and replaces the card and no change, still no video. Now I've got a freakin' box. The card worked fine for a few days save the TV Guide and then stopped altogether.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 697
Cable System problems...gotta love them

Unregistered guest
Have a Toshiba 37HL95 that we want ot hang on the wall also, after we figure out what the problem is.

Strange thing is this, TW guy installs first card, a used one, non ops it and calls in the keys off the Scientific Atlanta card to the field office.

Installs card number 2, again a used one, this time the TV gets all the channels and works for 15 minutes then crashes.

I pull the card, reinstall, reset the card in "diagnositics" and now everything works fine for Friday night.

Saturday morning, HDTV doesn't work at all, turn off TV, pull card, insert card, start up again, Tv reggonizes new card, does a search, and now I again have HDTV signal, this time with no sound on any HDTV 1100 channels.

So what's making it work intermittently? Seems to me it's something on the cable company's side, because non of the settings on the TV or the card have changed.

The system is flaky, why are techinicians carrying around used cards? WTF, open up a sealed new card and send the crap back to Scientific Atlanta to fix. The tech even showed me a SA card that was supposedly "fixed" that still doesn't work. Had paint all over it saying "NonOp." Hard to know what is really going on with how the system works briefly when you change a card.

Very irritating, but when it comes to money, the cable companies have the most to gain when you get a box instead of a card. Plus the FCC "forced" the cable companies to offer a card, and it seems they've been dragging their feet on it since day one.

Can anyone explain to me why the system works one day, then fails the next. Or why the card gets pulled and rebooted and everything works fine for as long as the TV is not turned off? Then the next day the audio portion of HDTV is gone?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 699
Brownbagger~ can you verify what version of software is installed on your TV?

Username: Macdraco

Del Rio, Texas US

Okay Everyone.

I have a KDL-V40XBR1 Time Warner Service.

CableCARD™ won't work. Sony says the TV is working fine. TWC well lets just say in my town I'm the third CableCARD™ to be installed and the other two worked out of the box. 3 Tech visits two CableCARD™'s later still nothing. They are sending hits from the office nothing. If I hook sevice directly into my TV I get HD channels and Digital Music right oh and analog too! Okay, good when I try it with the CableCARD™ Nada! Here is what I get out of the TV, of which Sony says its working fine I think its somewhere in the programming at TWC and they haven't set the thing (programmed) correctly. CABLEGUY HELP!

Diagnostics Cable

In Band (FAT) Out of Band (FDC)
Phy. Ch: 0 Freq. (KHz): 75250
Freq. (KHz): 0 Symbol Rate: 1024
Modulation: Bit Rate (kbps):2048
Errors: 0 SNR (dB): 26
SNR (dB): 0
AGC (%): 0
Interleaving: CableCARD: Inserted

H05-01.22 00052

CableCARD™ Pairing

CableCARD™: 000-298-730-797-8
Host: 007-001-707-146-8
Data: 121-331-359-34

UnitAddress: 000-02987-30797-153

Network Setup

LKC:75.250 EMM:1
OOB Msgs: 25594 (this number grows with time)

Hunt

CableCARD™ Status

Manufacturer: 0x00 (Motorola)
Version: 04.05
Unit Address: 0011CE452D
000-02987-30797-153

Download Status
Segments left to download: 0
State: Wait To Start

Entitlement Management Messages
EMM Provider ID: 1

Out of Band Channel
Last Know Good Carrier: 75.250 Tuned

Conditional Access

Unit Address:0011CE452D
000-02987-30797-153
State: Disconnected
ECM PID: 0x0000
Component PIDs:
0x0000 0x0000 0x0000
0x0000 0x0000 0x0000
Host Validation: Unknown 00
Copy Protection Key: Disabled
CCI: 0x03

IP Service

Interactive Info

IP Address: 0.0.0.0
UPM Address: 0
Downstream ID: 0
Upstream ID: 0
Donwnstream: Unconfigured
Upstream: No Message To Send
Ack timeout:0
Cell abourt count: 0 (max - 0)
MAC Abort count: 0 (max - 0)

What info can I give the Tech's at TWC most are friends and I have a good releationship with them. The are scratching their heads too they haven't had much experience with CC installs or config. I think they are just missing something any help would be greatly appreciated by both of us I'm sure!

text/plainUpload
cablecard-info.txt (1.4 k)

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 710
Hunter~ I'm not any help when it comes to motorola cards, as our system uses SA. I will say this much, you need to park your channel on a digital or HD channel before you go into TV diagnostics or cc information screens to validate the information, regardless if the channel is working or not. On the surface it appears the card was not provisioned properly, but I'd rather see you were on a digital channel prior to screen shots. Try that data again while on a digital channel then post the new info in the upload like you did at the bottom of your posting. I might not know what's going on with it, but I can research the data and see what's missing from operating specs.

Username: Lumbeecheraw75

any ideas why my CableCard may not be working? I have a Sony KDS-50RXBR1 and I am on my 2nd SA card in 2 days from TWC. The first tech (who had done 2 CC installs before) told me it could take up to 24hrs for the digital channels to load, calls later that day told me that it could take 6-8hrs. Tech who came yesterday after the first 24hrs with no digital (who was doing his first CC install) told me 1hr. He installed a STB on another TV which gets the digital service with no problem. I have a Service tech coming out today to check the line and any experienced input would be greatly appreciated. See my link for diagnostics

http://ryan.bazzu.com/images/CABLECARD.jpg

Username: Mainiac

We are having problems with Sony KDF55WF655, serviced by TW. We have had repeat service calls, including cable replacement, swapping out two CC, for used ones as "they are all used" according to the last tech. Watching a digi channel it will suddenly lose the signal, we get a NO SIGNAL message. At times we lose all digi hd channels, other times only the one we are watching. On occasion, after some time has passed, the signal returns. We also are at wits end as TW seems unable, or unwilling, to resolve the problem and point the finger at the Tv. The last tech suggested that the TV might not be compatible with CC, I guess that is why they put the slots in there, so they will not work.Techs keep pitching a convertor box but we have a TV that theoretically can function without one. Will suggest that they try a signal booster on their next visit, scheduled for next weekend. From what I have read here CC continue to be manufactured, and they are not "all used ones" as the most recent tech claimed...Any help and or information would be appreciated....

Username: Flyby1023

I just found this forum while looking for help with Comcast/cablecard/LG 26LX1D. From what I have found so far, these posts could have been written a year ago, I have found year-old threads with the exact same issues. I can only assume that these issues have been, and will continue to be a problem for some time. The issue being the cablecard just doesn't work.

My problem is two-fold. 1. Comcast has absolutely no interest in trying to resolve the problem and, 2. On the two occasions I was actually able to speak with a technical supervisor, they had no idea what the problem could be, or where to find an answer (other than to install a STB, for a price).

The TV is new, firmware is up-to-date (3.15), two cable cards have been provisioned on seperate occasions and it has been manually and auto-programmed two dozen times. Analog and OTA channels are fine, including HD and the TV Guide channel numbers are correctly propagated. Only Comcast digital programming is dead, but only on the cablecard TV.

I lknow it sounds cynical, but why would a monopoly want to give me something for free when they could be charging me $10/mo/tv? They have had six weks to try their technical solutions, it's now my turn to spend the next six weeks on a political/legal solution. Let's see who wins.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 721
Ryan~ is there any way you can make the pictures larger? It's hard to read the data as small as the print is, and I'm sure I can at least point you in the right direction if I could read it better. Thanx

G Godbout~ the next time you lose channels go to your SA CP information screen and copy down everything that is listed in that field and post it here, it will help figure out what is going on.

Flyby~ have you contacted LG about this and what did they have to say about it? It would also help to know what type of cable card you are using...

Username: Flyby1023

cableguy: Lg suggested a firmware update which was done and they also offered to set a tech in. I will take them up on that offer if I can get a Comcast tech in at the same time, problem is I haven't been able to talk to a Comcast tech in close to 3 weeks, despite their own customer service reps trying to get them to call.

The card is a Moto, two have been tried. The LG diagnostic screen indicates the card is alive and well, it just doesn't seem to make any difference if the card is inserted or not, which was one of the tests LG asked me to try. Since an autoscan will indicate it is picking up 170 channels and some will actually display, for programming I don't subscribe to, it seems the TV doesn't have a problem with a digital channel. The majority of channels just say scrambled or no signal. These same channels are ok on the STB Tvs in the house.

I'm inclined to agree with LG that the TV can display the channels, if it gets the data. The Comcast installing tech has walked out the door mumbling on both occasions about how much trouble cablecards are for them so I assume I am not the only customer they have slumped over the remote waiting.

Cableguy, your browser is probably shrinking the picture to fit the screen. Click it to enlarge it.. Thanks for the offer of assistance. One of the members here is a TWC tech in my area and actually dispatched and adjusted the signals on my line, I forget his username. I have another dispatch scheduled for Tuesday, not certain what they will do

Username: Mainiac

Thanks for the tip Cableguy. I am not sure what the SA CP screen is but I went to the CC menu in hopes of finding info. The only option I have is the RESET one as the SHOW option is grayed out. I hesitate to select RESET as I do not know if that will require another call to TW or even a tech call in order to get it working. May I select that option and obtain the information I need to provide you????

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 724
Ryan~ I don't know why it didn't let me expand it last week, but it is letting me expand it this week...let's break this down by screen:

1)diagnostic screen info: SNR at 32 is great, FDC status locked is perfect..nothing sticking out on this screen as problem-matic
2)SA CP info screen: CP auth received-perfect, No EMM's= not good...usually this indicates they have sent the service codes to your card but did something wrong in the provisioning of the card. If they can revoke the card at the office, have them do so, then re-marry the card. Once they've done this they need to send a refresh command and a normal hit. The refresh command or initialize/reboot command is what sends the EMM's to the card. On a fresh install it usually takes about 43 EMM's to get that card working. Again as you have received CP auth but no EMM's I know your card is being communicated to, but is not getting the information it needs to work.
3-4-5)the only thing valid on the diagnostic screen to look for is the OS build and the current date/time, which are correct with OS build and current date/time (the day you took the screen shots)
6)Host Information screen: shows your Host ID and CC ID and that CP auth was received...nothing out of the ordinary here.
Summary~ No EMM's = Non-working CC...they need to provision it properly and watch those EMM's. If you can call somebody and have them do what was mentioned above, then bounce in and out of that CP info screen (it won't update if you're sitting on the screen) watch to see if any EMM's are being detected. Your signal levels are right where they should be, the fact that CP Auth has been received we know the system is communicating with your TV/CC...hopefully they can get the provisioning right and get you working. Keep us posted.

G Godbout~ do you still have the CC inserted into your TV? If it is and you can't access the CC menu options, do the reset and see if it will let you access them, you need to get to that screen so I can see what is going on (as Ryan did)
I'll be here

Username: Bigchief42

I am continuing to have probelsm with my Sony Wega 50 inch rear projection HDTV. Finally had a Sony Tech out with 2 techs from Cablevision. Sony engineering told the tech that there is no problem with the set, but that if the customer is upeset to replace the B module, which he did. then the cablevision guys put the cablecard in and again the television failed to produce a decent picture, lots of pixelation and sound problems. the cable vision tech shared an e-mail from someone at Sony stating that they have an apparent fix and are masproducing the module. When we asked the Sony tech if he knew if the new module was the fix, he had no clue, he a "platinum" Sony tech. So the Cablevison guys left both the cablecard and box at my house. If Sony comes back with an additional fix, then all i have to do is pop in the card and see if it works, lots of laughs.
The Cablevision guys told me that Sony was the gold standard for cablecards until last summer and now it is their biggest headache! It has something to do with the standard they use in some locations which Sony televisions just don't read correctly. of course Sony just says that their sets are okay and Cablevisions shows you that their signal is okay. There is just something about the two combined which siomply doesn't work.

So much for technology compatability. So much for honesty in dealing with customers. As i see it both Sony and Cablevision are telling the truth and both are really not being truthful. The consumer is stuck in the middle.

Username: Beckeresq

After buying a Sharp Aquos 45LC-45GD5U (Central New Jersey Cablevision) to "avoid" a box and spending about 8 hours with Sharp representatives who indicated "no problem with TV Guide On Screen," the following is Sharp's "unfortunate" response:

"Unfortunately the TVGOS feature is unavailable in the NJ area. The reason behind this is the cable providers in the region (Time Warner, Cablevision
and Comcast) have opted to move their broadcasts to digital only. The TV Guide signal is only carried over analog signal, specifically on the analog PBS station. With the loss of this analog PBS signal in certain areas in the US, TV Guide signal is also lost.
Although some of the Aquos televisions are compatible with the TV Guide feature, Sharp has no way to control whether or not the TV Guide signal is broadcast in specific areas. The cable providers have the final say on what they will broadcast over their lines.
We apologize for any inconvenience this causes.
Thanks!"

"Thanks?" Thanks for nothing. Just fingerpointing.

As I learned (too late) from this and other forums, the cable card and related TV Guide On Screen problems have been around for over a year; they've beem known to the TV manufacturing industry, but have been "hidden" from consumers. Sharp's advertising of the TV's "capabilities" and charging a premium price for them continues without any identification of problems.
We have filed formal complaints with the FTC and the New Jersey Department of Consumer Affairs and have also filed a lawsuit. The more complaints, the sooner these issues will get resolved.

Consumers should get paid to be involved in "Beta Testing." Instead, consumers are paying for this "privilege."

Username: Peter913

MERRICK, NY USA

SONY FIXED CC PIXEL PROBLM! INSTLLED "SHIELD/SHEAF" BEHIND CARD SLOT. LONG ISLAND TECH SAID: THIS ONLY HAPPENS WITH "NDS's" CARD!!!!
AM NOW HAPPY WTH MY 40"BRAVIA. ALL U PEOPLE CITING THE PRBLEM & WHAT U WENT THRU HELPED ALOT. THEY FXED PRBLM IN 8 DAYS. SONY'S CUST SERV#=866-210-6333.

5th dispatch brought out a small Plasma for testing, it was found that my card was bad. He installed a new card, updated the firmware, and everything is good. Hope it stays that way. 3 days no w/no problems

Username: Frewwb

My cable card on my 50" sony sxrd just stopped receiving anything above channel 711, kpbs HD. So none of the encrypted HD stations are coming in. It's a SA cable card with about the same diagnostics as Ryan H had except the power key status is ready. ecm and emm count =0. The decrption status is no ecms detected. SNR is 33 FAT and 27 FDC. I'm thinking I might have caused this somehow.

I confess I'm one of those energy nuts who thinks the CC consumption of 25 watts 24 hrs a day is too much. So I experimented by putting the tv on the light switch. It seemed to work for about 3 weeks until yesterday I could not get the HD stations beyond 711. The cable operator tried a reset, had me pull the card out, etc. If it's not related to what I'm doing then is what I'm doing going to harm the cable card or TV. I always keep the tv plugged in while the lamp fan runs after I turn the tv off before unplugging. The "cable guy" for TW comes out next monday. Thanks

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 740
F Bacher~ Did you try doing the reset through your Sony menu? If you go to the cable card section, you have 2 options Show or Reset. Try the reset and see if that fixes your problem

I too have had a long running problem with Sony and CC. I even had a Sony platinum repair guy and 2 senior Cablevision techs at my house at once and they could not get the tv to work. Sony had the repair guy replace the "B-box" but that did not help. Cablevision showed me an e-mail from Sony stating that they know of the problem, have a solution and pilotted it in Long Island and are mass producing it. That was first week in March. Cablevision gave me a $100 credit and left both a card, not pushed in but set up, and a box. They said that when Sony comes out and fixes the set all I should have to do is push in the card and if it works, return the box. Meanwhile no word from Sony. I then wrote to the president of Sony. I received a call from a national consumer service rep whi stated he had researched the issue and i was the first person in the world to complain of this problem. After drying the tears from my eyes, from laughing so hard, I walked him through a google search and we found 93,000 hits! He said he would find out where the solution was and get back to me, that was over a week ago. No response.

I have several old TV sets in my house which are probably on their last legs. Should one die, I will replace it with a HD set which has no tuner in it, since I will need a box anyway. That seems the best approach at this time. Don't waste the money for a set with built in HD tuners, it isn't worth it!

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 741
Steve~ sorry to hear about your problems, but I'm sure there are plenty of people out there with Sony's that can dispute your claim. Since you didn't indicate what type of cc you have, would you please reply if it is motorola or sa? We use sa in our system and I can attest there are no problems during installation on Sony TV's. There is a chance an error can happen after the fact, which requires Sony to replace the interface (which also assigns a new host ID) You also have a diagnostic screen right above the cc option in the menu, play along for a moment: connect the cable to the proper RF input, insert the cc and let it do it's set-up. Once the host pairing screen clears, go into your menu and write down the data on the tv diagnostic screen, then go into your cc menu and write down the date and time stamp on the cc diagnostic. Lastly go into the cp info screen and write down the information there. If your cc is SA, I can at least point you in a direction. If it's a motorola cc, I can't be of much use in the cc menu, but the tv diagnostic is still useful information. Over 2000 customers in my system can attest they prefer the cc over a box, even with the lack of features a box allows.

I have no idea what card it is. There is a sort of credit card from Cablevision that says NDS on it This in turn slips into a NDS VideoGuard CableCard and then the entire thing slips into the TV. We went through the install and the card is fully read. Cab;evision did the diagnostics and the card is recognized and seems to be just fine, the on;ly problem is that the screen freezes and the sound doesn't work. Cablevision did all the things you suggested and found no error messages and good numbers.

The TV is a Sony Wega rear projection 50 inch set, a KDFE50A1

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 742
ok, it's the NDS card, which I've only heard about in these forums. My strongest recommendation is to contact Sony and request they set up a ticket to have a tech specialist get in contact with you, and then ask them if there is anyway they can coordinate with Cablevision to investigate the problem. As I said, with the SA card there has been no problems with installation and getting your services activated (at least in my system). Also, if you look at this posting from another person, you might find the answer you're looking for (it was posted further up the thread):

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 12:00 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SONY FIXED CC PIXEL PROBLM! INSTLLED "SHIELD/SHEAF" BEHIND CARD SLOT. LONG ISLAND TECH SAID: THIS ONLY HAPPENS WITH "NDS's" CARD!!!!
AM NOW HAPPY WTH MY 40"BRAVIA. ALL U PEOPLE CITING THE PRBLEM & WHAT U WENT THRU HELPED ALOT. THEY FXED PRBLM IN 8 DAYS. SONY'S CUST SERV#=866-210-6333.

I think this is a good testimonial from somebody who has the NDS card and found a solution. He also posted it so others (like yourself) can benefit from his experience. Keep us posted as to your progress please, others will benefit as well.

Username: Cablguyri

I just got off the phone with Sony. I am going to meet a Sony authorized service tech out at a customer's home on Tuesday to troubleshoot problems with our Motorola CCs with a Sony Bravia KDL-V26XBR1 TV. I will post back with findings. :-)

Cableguy. Yes the reset was the first thing I tried. It knows about the encrypted stations, discovery, etd. But when I select any of them it first says tuning, then no signal and a black screen. It worked fine for 3 weeks, except for one night after about 2 weekswhere all the HD stations pixelated on me (especially kpbs). But it was fine for at least a week after that. Could I have lost the set up by unplugging the tv for almost 24 hrs at a time? I'm will to just keep it plugged in and absorb the extra energy. I'm going solar very soon and it will take almost an entire solar panel to offset the cable cards standby power. So that's why I've made an hard effort to conserve first, it limits the number of panels you need and the overall cost of going solar. Thanks again

Just to get it out there if I didn't before. I had both a Sony platinum repair tech and 2 senior techs from Cablevision in my house at once. Sony replaced the B-box and Cablevision tried 2 cards, no dice! I wrote to Sony after trying to get satisfaction on the telephone and then got a telephone call from a national customer service person who had no clue. I sent him a copy of the above Sony fix and have heard NOTHING! Now I am totally frustrated!

Cableguy. The TW tech came out and fixed the CC with a call to the office to get a reset. He said the person I called should have been able to do the same for me. A local reset did not work. So my question is this....did my unplugging the TV cause this. I typically would only watch an hr or two in the evening and then unplug it until the next night. This worked fine for about 3 weeks until this problem. I'm leaving it plugged in for now until I know otherwise. Thanks

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 746
F Bacher~ First off, glad to hear they got it working again. Secondly, I can't say for certain if leaving it unplugged for a short period of time caused the problems in the first place. What I can offer is that the card needs key refreshes on a constant basis, and I know people who kill their power and don't have this problem so the jury will remain out. It is quite possible that it did time out, but you'll know if by leaving it connected to power and the problem happens again that it wasn't the loss of power that caused it in the first place. I personally would suggest to not remove power, but it's your call.

steven m.~ Since I've never seen anything on the NDS cards, I'd be curious as to what they have to say about the posting by Peter McBrien on March 24 2006 at 12:00pm? Obviously he has the same card, and although his TV model may be different from yours, it's still a Sony and they found a way to get his up and working, one can only assume they should be able to get yours working with the same type of card.
Hang in there brother, but stand firm and demand answers. Don't let this go by the wayside because it's too easy to throw the towel in, and if you do they win. Your voice carries some weight, use it to the fullest extent possible and you will get this resolved.

Post Number: 6
Thanks cableguy. For now I'll leave it plugged in. With increasing numbers of cablecards, STB, and satellite boxes, the standby consumption in the US alone is huge. Australia has managed to get their cable companies to cooperate in getting the boxes to go into sleep mode when not in use. They then activate from a signal sent by the cable company to refresh themselves. But there's no benefit for the cable companies since they don't pay the bills so a big change like this has to be mandated I think. The EPA has tried but tabled their efforts in late 2005 for now. You know how you need to pick your battles? I think this is going to be mine, as a conservationist who thinks little things like this can make a huge difference. And I obviously enjoy swimming upstream, lol. I've heard by 2008 we're going to need about 8 additional power plants in the US just for these "boxes and cards". Thanks for your help and keep up the good work.

To bring everyone up to date with Sony. Last night I was on the telephone with customer service for over an hour. They had the record on file that Somy and Cablevison were out to my home and could not get the set working. They continue to deny that they know anything about any problem with any of their sets and Cablecards. I gave them this site and they said they never read these forums and do not believe anything that is on them. The first person tried to explain that the set needed a firmware upgrade. I said at that point that I received a letter on February 8, 2006 abut a firmware upgrad and went to their website to see if my set was effected and was told no. He stated he knew nothing about the February 8, 2006 letter and acted as if he thought that I was making that up. I then read the enitre letter to him. After he heard the contents of the letter, he then put me on hold (no music on hold by the way so I was really worried he hung up). After about 5 minutes, which seemed like an hour, he said he was passing me up to a second level. The second level person then said he knew nothing about the problem. I quoted the message from this forum about the Sony solution on Long Island and he said he would go to a senior Sony technician. I was promised a call back today. I explained that I work and that it would be better to call me at the office.
Guess what happened. John from Sony customer service, left a message on my home telephone answering machine telling me that they had decided it was definitely not a problem with the television and that it was a cable problem. He then stated that the local Sony rep, Town Vision told Sony that he had been trying to call Cablevision and no one returned his call. In fact, Cablevision told Sony that when the solution is available they should call me. In fact Town Vision called me in the office 2 weeks ago and asked if I had heard anything from, guess who, Sony! I just left a message for Cable and sent an e-mail to Sony's national customer service representative who had called me last month and promised to follow-up. I have yet to hear from him. I plan on filing a complaint with the FCC, with the FTC and with the Public Utilities Board in my state. Some higher power will have to determine who is to blame. In the mean time, this is the end of my ever purchasing a Sony product. The next TV that goes and I have to replave it, I will look for one without a tuner so that I can save money since it is obvious that I will need a cable box. I will definitiely not consider a Sony, under virtually no circumstances. What a shame, what a way to ruin a brand's reputation!

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 748
steven~ sorry to hear they haven't been able to resolve your problem yet. Contacting your local Utility Board will help a little, but you might want to find out if there is a local or state branch of the FCC as well. I know I've seen it somewhere, be it this forum or a different one, but somebody contacted the FCC and they were able to get the two parties involved together to work on the issue. I can assure you if the FCC is investigating something both your cable provider and Sony are going to listen to what they have to say. Others in this forum that have the Sony can attest to the operational status of their TV's, and I'm beginning to wonder why you are still having problems. If you still have the card and access to any diagnostic screens concerning the cable card, including the TV diagnostic screen (while a card is installed) I'd like to see what information it is telling you. Although it's not the same card, there may be something in the diagnostic that might help point as to what the problem is. Your option if you can provide the information, I can't make promises but I can offer what I can for what's it's worth.

Well, I met the repair tech out at a customer's home today. He is ordering a new tuner from sony, so we'll have to wait and see. Strangely, he did not question the cable or the card while I was standing there with the customer. I'll keep you posted!

After having Customer Service hang up on me, I sent an e-mail to a contact at National Sony Customer Service who left a message for me to call. Of course when I called him I had to leave a message for him, twice. Tonight I just received a call from Town Vision, the local Sony authorized repair service who says he was told by Sony that they have the solution, that he needs to replace the B-Box again, but this time a different B-Box than last time and they assured him that doing this will make the TV work with the cable card (now where have I heard that before?).

I asked him to see if the new B-box contains the "Shield/Sheaf" and he stated that he can't change anything that Sony tells him to do and that he will try the Sony solution next. He said that Sony sounded very confident that this will solve the problem. He will call me when the part comes in and we try again. Now Sony says there is a problem but only in parts of NJ. We know for a fact that that is a lot of BS, since there are reports here from other states. I will keep everyone informed. Do you think Sony will give me something for all of my efforts, Cablevison at least gave me a $100 credit. I won't hold my breath!

Username: Indbiz

Hunter and others,

I think you will want to request Motorola CableCards with at least 4.05 firmware, next release is 4.21. Both are good, 4.21 is better.
From your capture, looks like your cable operator has enabled copy protection on some channels while improperly configuring their side (CP server). Have you asked your TV manufacturer whether they support copy protection when enabled for "copy never" mode. Your attachement shows that you were tuned to analog not digital, please confirm.

Username: Macdraco

Del Rio, Texas US

Joe, and CableGuy,
I have given up on the CC; I was waiting for my DVR to come in anyway and it has. When I bought the Sony I got it for its beautiful picture not its CC feature. I have come to the conclusion that it is my local TWC affiliate that cannot get the card configured correctly. plus there are only 3 other user in my town with TV's that are CC equipped. Also my proximity to the plant is on its outermost edge I know that TWC has said they are going to have to upgrade the plant in order for me to receive their phone service. I'm happy with the TV. When you live off on the edge of civilization (Del Rio, Texas) like I do that is one of the hits you have to take and the TWC affiliate here is not really customer orientated as far as services are concerned. But for that I can walk out on my back porch in the morning and look out over one of the most beautiful lakes in the country. HD is absolutely beautiful; it just can't be compared to any other broadcast! The other night watching Constantine on HBOHD was AWSOME!!!!

Thanks for all your help it was not wasted, I had the local TWC engineer reading and checking up on things, all the info I got from this forum.

Hunter

Username: Mikepage

Port saint lucie, FL United States

cableguy , you have the all knowing info ..can you help me...have a tosh 32hlx95...adelphia sa cc...tosh sent out rep 4/16 and installed 1.3.1 firmware..b4 firmware 1.2.3. froze up cc..after installing cc and numerous hits ..no digital pics...removed card did a full reset, and full program to see what i got.. all analog , 40 music channels {400-436}, hd local and discovery...installed cc back in and called dispatch to hit.only thing changed was digital numbers showed up on screen and channel markings{ hbo-201, 222-shoce, 752 stzhd} example...but no vid or sound...i contract with adelphia and have a lot of contacts...dispatch triple checked to verify cc was coded correct {ok}..sent hits 1/2 for 24hrs straight, been waiting for tosh to call me back for 2 days..all snr are excellent as well as db signal..ran temp rg6 from tap to tv just to eliminate all poosibilities...i think it is cc, but hoping to get some input.also tried cc diag on hd and digital..these #s did not change...also went to cc diag at least 100 times , only twice did a 10 second screen roll thru with everything posted {denied} that i could see... i have tried to get this diag screen again , but when highlighting {diag} all i get is the {heap, rf id boot date}i have seen other posts with this page and my page looks pretty identical...but will not .thanks..after ist 12hrs emm on cc , ca screen went to {2} from zero..Program Num: 102
CCI Byte: 0x00
ECM: 0
EMM: 2
Decryption Status: OK
Power Key: not Ready ,waiting for emms
EID: 0xffffff
MKS Period: 2000sec
KSE Ct: 0

Bronze Member
Username: Wanabtech

Post Number: 19
I'm a serv tech for Adelphia, our system also uses SA. From what I've been told by our data center that it takes an EMM count of 39 to trigger at least 1 ECM. If this doesn't happen, you won't receive any channels. Ask your warehouse rep, when the cards were put into billing. CC's can timeout just like a box can. In fact, I have done my own little study and have noticed that they start flaking out after 20 days of activation. I assume you have the number to Adelphia's data center? Call them ask for an EMM hit. It's a differnt kind of hit then what dispatch has the ability to send. If you notice the power key status, it tells you it's waiting for EMM's.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 750
Michael~ One of the things you didn't mention is whether or not your received CP authorization? From what data you did provide, 2 EMM's might be sufficient if the card had previously been working, but more then likely the card needs to be divorced, remarried, and then proper hits sent. Usually CC's require 2 seperate hits, one to send the EMM's and another to send services. The CP auth status received usually indicates the "services hit" has been sent, and the EMM count indicates when it's provisioning hit has been sent. I agree with wanabtech in theory about the card timing out, but that usually takes at least 30 days in our system and to be honest I've never seen one do that. Bosephus I need to do a better job of reading what others post to not sound like an echo...wanabtech stated the obvious about the hits...anyway...ask them to un-marry the pairing, re-marry it then send both types of hits and see if you receive CP authorization and more then 2 EMM's. If you don't, have them bring you a new card.

cp was auth...cc was removed from acct and reinstalled ...all coding was correct per warehouse and dispatch....did bring new card home...also talked to friend in headend...he took acct info and cc # ,than said he would make some calls and try and do what forum posts said to do..i should say that Toshiba did call and said same about other hit, they called it a cold initializition hit...no one seemed to understand what everyone was saying about 2 types of hits...showed EVERYONE at adelphia office forum posts and diag screen..been a ug contractor 20 yrs , i know everyone..i believe florida office has dropped the ball on cc training..no one knew how to read any of the cc diag info other than host and cc #,s....gave cc # and acct info to a friend at head in and he would look into it and see what he could find out.. i came home with new cc to install... i turned on tv, all channels are up and running ..i called dispatch ,they said someone was into acct 3 times around 2 pm..my friend at head in must of done something to get cc up...will find out 2morrow and post results ...thanks everyone, yeah!!!but it was not cc or software like everyone at work said...they started given me quips like " here comes mr cc engineer"...i guess they won,t look so great now... mr ug ditch digger did there job for them...this is what they get paid for...if my new 2006 corvette breaks down , i expect gm to know how to fix the car...if cable cards are to be used and supplied by cable companies , i expect them to know how to install them and send the correct hits...this is there job ..to stay up on technology and train...can,t be old school mechanic and expect to keep your job without updating your training...not bashing my friends at adelphia. but they need more training and need to learn not to blame tv manufaturers and cc manufactureers for there inability to learn the cc diag screens .thanks everone

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Seeing as how you're employed by Adelphia (directly or contractor), I can give you a number that you can call to verify that the CC has been properly entered into the DNCS for your system. I'll have to do it by email as I'm sure you're aware that the numbers arent' available to the general public.

email brn2bow@yahoo.com, and I'll reply.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 753
Michael~ what a great posting, and you hit upon some things I've been saying for over a year now. Yes the company should do a better job of training it's employees but don't think for one moment that I was trained other then "here's the card, any questions call this number". There is some responsibility I put on the installers or techs to learn about the product before it goes out, and most people run rather then dig. The nice thing is that you took the time to research, and fortunately you found a place to help you. If it helps in your case, the diagnostic screen is useless, other then to show you the current date and time and what firmware version the card is running on. The most important screen on the SA card is the CP info screen, EMM's and CP auth: without them you have problems, with them you should be working. Great job on getting it working, and we'll be lurking should you run across any problems in the future.

i agree , but what i see , is that the techs are boxed into such a tight time route , it leaves no spare time.they really can,t even do what they know because of time frame windows....on top of trying to learn modem set up and trouble shooting...i believe they should designate 2-3 guys in each system who do nothing but cc.someone like you that knows what to look for....then they can pass it on an slowly train others...but instead they give ALL that techs a 20 page training manual and a couple cc,s ..i looked at it last night...got it from maintance supervisor,,,it was a joke.. each page had a picture and 2 sentences...2 sentences was devoted to cc screens but nowhere did they mention what to look for ...i ahve passed on this website to 2 of the main cc techs , but there knowledge of what a ecm, emm ...they have no idea what these mean or what to look for...they know that if the cc freezes up on install that it is a firmware issue ...but that is about it..thanks again

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 755
Michael~ if you or anybody else you work for needs help I'm usually lurking about checking this forum on a daily basis. It would help if they register (not that I'm promoting membership here), more so that if they provide a valid email with their registration I can reply in private instead of posting in public between technicians. One thing you can pass on is the SA CP screen is your lifeline. It tells you when the CP auth has been sent, and if the card has received EMM's. As I said earlier without either of them the card will not work. The EMM (entitlement management messages)provides general information about the subscriber and the status of the subscription.
The ECM, is a data unit that contains the key for decrypting the transmitted programs. You will find that if you have received EMM's that the ECM count will start going up, but until CP authorization is received the channel will not be viewable. If you get the CP authorization, the channel is waiting for the EMM's and ECM's to verify the services and decrypt channels the customer is subscribed to.
I agree there really isn't any good troubleshooting information out there, but once you learn what to look for the picture starts coming into focus. I highly commend you for taking the time to learn, and I'm sure your customers will be thankful there is somebody in your system that knows something about this technology. I'll be here should you need further assistance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Michael,

I agree with cableguy, you hit on some key issues. It took me a couple of months to finally convince our mgmt to take away the cc installs from our contractors. They had a 100% repeat ratio on the CC's. Mainly there are just 2 of us here that do them. Sometimes tho, they do give them to others but mostly due to the workload demand. I much the same as cableguy, have dug & dug to learn what I know. I still have along way to go. I try to share what I've learned with the other tech and vice versa. The only printout that I've seen from Adelphia, is how to enter the card into the computer system. Which, you don't do anyway. The knowledge is helpful, but definitely not what you need.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 756
it's a shame techs have to come here for answers, but on the same breath it's good techs have at least one place to go.

Username: Bhoefer

Cableguy, or anyone, I realize this is slightly off-topic of this thread but do you know if there are any CRT/Tube TVs being sold that have a Cable Card slot?

Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
i haven't ran across any in my cc installs.

well i gave the 2 lead install techs this forum site, i don,t know how involved after hrs they learn, but thats all i can do...just out of curiousity , do they have a page with the latest firmware per manufacturer...i mention this to lead techs , that if they had up to date knowledge of most manufacturers firmware, this would help them tremendously...[ex. tosh latest firmware is 1.3.1.} the other day they had 6 cc,s that were tosh,not one had updated firmware... if csr or installer would ask a couple questions b4 cc install.. get software info b4 truck roll. can u imagine how much time and customer satisfaction...what is current software on your tv, you will find this info in your menu guide mr, or mrs customer?..oh , i,m sorry you have very old and outdated software , you will need to contact you tv manufacturer or service dept to get u latest software so that we can get you installed...please call us when you have update and we will send you a tech to complete installation...back to subject, does anyone keep tabs on this info..??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
When you install the card, disp asks for make and model # off of the tv (in adelphia systems - dst). I've asked where that data goes. Has anyone went back to the data to get an idea of what TV's the cards are working in. For instance, I've never been able to get a Samsung to work with the card properly. In fact, none of the techs in our system, has been able to accomplish this. It would be interesting to see, if other systems have been successful off of our DNCS, as it serves a pretty large area.

I've even suggested having study groups comprised of engineers and techs to try and sort through this. Best reply that I got, is that all providers are struggling not just Adelphia.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 757
Bill Hoefer~ "do you know if there are any CRT/Tube TVs being sold that have a Cable Card slot?"
Yes, Sony makes one, I don't have the model number handy, but I know they do. There may be others, but I have only seen Sony with one.

michael page~ Somebody at your company should be keeping track of that type of data. I can't say who that person is, but somebody (probably somebody way up the food chain that is not sharing) should have access. I have the data but I'm not allowed to disclose that to anybody outside my company. Keep pushing the buttons at your office and get the answers, as a tech/installer demand them.

Wanabtech~ Samsung TV's you need to make sure you set the clock before you attempt to insert the cc into the TV. Both your and michael page are trying to better understand this product and maybe you can work something out with your supervisors to be the go to guys when it comes to these types of calls, but along with being the go to - you need to get access to the information you seek.

Bill Hoefer: I agree with cableguy. I've seen one before, but I don't remember exactly what brand it was. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a sony though.

Wanabtech: sometimes this works on samsungs in our system when channels aren't coming in...

1. Go to menu
2. Set up
3. Cable Card section
4. Select Channel re-organization (this will run like auto-programming) once this is done the issue will be corrected.

Username: Bhoefer

Thanks for the input on CRT TVs. I realized what I should have asked is if anyone knows of any CRTs that have an integrated HD tuner AND Cable Card slot? Thanks again

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 758
Bill~ unless I'm mistaken all cc tv's should have an integrated HD tuner. As for the specific model you were asking about, I don't know if this is still the correct model number that is available, but I ran into one of these yesterday on a call Sony KD-34XBR960=CRT/CC/Integrated tuner.
enjoy

So is it common for cable cards to loose the ability to get channels. I just had another similar problem to the one I posted recently. This time I lost the ability to get any of the broadcast HD stations. The encrypted ones were fine. And I've kept the TV plugged in. I probably should just have done a reset in the diagnostics menu but instead called it in. The operator had me pull the card out and re-insert it. I did then have to the the reset to re-fine ALL of the stations. Next time I'll just try the reset. But is this common....two issues in about 2 months now, all with the HD stations?

Username: Sanstrike

Miami, Fl US

Hi, im new on this of the hd tv, i just got a new hdtv, its a sony 32" model: KD-30XS955 with cable box integrated, it has the slot for the cc. I just want to know if any one knows where can i get a cc, because me cable service (comcast) told me that the don't have any card till next month, so i would like to know if somebody knows where can i maybe find a cc to buy, maybe a card with all the channels open anda ready to watch, thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
The only place you can get a card is through your cable provider.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 759
F Bacher~ On the Sony models it usually is common and should be reported to Sony as such. Usually they come out and replace the interface, in some cases they install a heat shield and replace the lamp, and I believe some of the Bravia line they are installing updated software but don't quote me on that.

Post Number: 8
So the Sony guy called stating he HAS to get into my house immediately to replace the B-box with a newer and better B-box which will finally cure my problem. He said he can't keep it longer than a day or two. I will call him in the AM and see if I can get Cablevision to also be there. They left both the card and the box and said if Sony got there all that i have to do is push it in and see if it works. I really have no confidence that it has even a slight chance, since Sony still won'tadmit that there is a problem with their sets andCablevision won't admit they have a problem. Stay tuned.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 760
steven~ just "pushing it in to see if it works" won't give you any answers. I've mentioned this before that when they replace the interface, it assigns a new host id and the card will need to be paired. So I doubt you'll just be able to plug it in and verify anything without somebody being able to pair the new data.

Post Number: 9
So, Sony guy and cable guy were out yesterday, spent 4 hours complaining but DID actually get the set working. I now have no cablebox and everything seems to be working just great. He installed a new and improved B-Box over the last replaced B-Box. Sony guy admitted that he heard now that this was a wide spread problem in Nj and LI and that newer sets made by Sony will be delivered with the updated "firmware."

It wasn't easy, and I am not sure i will ever feel good about buying another Sony product! An apology from Sony would be nice, but I will not hold my breath. There attitude all along was that they made no mistakes and that I was nuts and that it was the cable company's problemnot theirs.

Miami, Fl US

Finally i get my cable card with my service provider but now the problem is that the cable guy came to set up the cc and he forgot to connect one cable and the cc was detecting the channels but then he cancel that and told me to conect the cable that was missing, after hat i cant make that the tv detect the cc is there any specific way to put the card, i mean do i have to follow some specific steps to do that?, any help will be apreciate. Oh and i fogot y have a sony 32" model: KD-30XS955.

Miami, Fl US

Another question, is there a code or some kind of programing the cc to get all the chanels, without contacting my cable provider?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 765
steven~ glad to hear your nightmare is finally over.

santiago~ On a Sony there is only 1 input that is designated for Cable and the other for UHF/VHF so I can't imagine why he would have forgotten to connect one? There's only one needed, the Cable input. As for it not detecting the cable card, on the back of all Sony's it clearly indicates which side the top should be facing when you insert the card. Best recommendation is to remove the card, let the TV auto-program without the card in so it can find all the channels without the card inserted. Once it is done learning the channels, put the card back in and it should indicate the card was inserted and begin to verify the number of analog and digital channels. If it does not recognize the card is inserted, I'd be on the phone with Sony asking them why it does not detect the card. It's possible a pin may have gotten bent, but you can shine a flashlight in the slot and see if the pins look good or not. If you have any problems contact Sony and see what they have to say about it not recognizing the card.

Miami, Fl US

Hi again, first i want to thank everybody for everything, great help.
In the other hand, i fixed my problem with the card and is working fine, but now i want to buy the wires to see hd in dvd, anybody nows what excatly wires are the model or something like that, and i still wondering if any body knows if theres any code to get all the chanels?

Miami, Fl US

After a lot of thinking i realized, why not buy a cable to read and retrive infromation from de cc of comcast and copying to my computer, then buy a pcmcia on ebay for example and put that information (the cc from comcast that im gona have in my computer) and copy it to the new pcmcia card and then try to use it in my tv, and forget about paying 5 extra bucks for month to comcast and get hd for free, is that possible?

Username: Magredc5

Southern New Hampshire

Post Number: 8
Santiago: You are obviously trolling to try to find a way to get free services. Since CC uses several security protocols and requires your cable company to authenticate your device your really wasting your time.

Username: Shaner1

Hello all,

I didn't think I should start another cablecard thread so I thought I'd post my question here.

First a little background. I have a Toshiba 52HMX94 DLP TV with the latest firmware 1.6.3. After I installed the firmware a month or so ago everything worked great with my cable service. Prior to that I was losing channels (digital) and sometimes just losing the audio.
A week ago my cable company, Wide Open West in Detroit, had trouble and some of the channels were out. Ever since then I have had nothing but trouble with my cable service. The same problems have started up again with me losing channels.

I'm going to call them to have a 4th cablecard brought out just in case something happened to this one as the power went out during that time as well.

On to my question, which is related to the problem but not directly...

When you pull your cablecard out of your TV (in my case when I lose the channels I have to take the card out and put it back in to set things right) do you shut the TV off, pull the card, turn the TV back on and then put the card in?

Ok, 2 questions...

Would taking the card out while the TV is on hurt the card?

Thanks,
Shane

Username: Magredc5

Southern New Hampshire

Post Number: 9
Shane:

I have a Toshiba 62MX195 on Comcast with a Motorola CableCard.

To answer your CC questions, there is no need to turn your TV OFF to remove your CC, so there is no damage. In fact, even though your TV is OFF, the CC slot is always powered ON which is a requirement of the CC standard. This ensures that the authentication of your HOST/CC pair is maintained on the cable network while the TV is off, otherwise it would have to authenticate everytime you turned the TV ON. So pulling the card with the TV OFF in reality is still pulling it from a live (powered) CC slot. That's why you won't find a warning in the TV's manual either about requiring the TV to be OFF.

If you don't want to pull the CC, you can also just pull the power cord (power reset) on the TV which will reinitialize the CC.

Now for your channel problems, can you post which brand of CableCard and Firmware you have? i.e Motorola or SA. The firmware is listed in one of the Cablecard Menus in the TV.

I've been having an occasional problem (roughly once a month) where all my channels with COPY PROTECTION ENABLED in the CC menu become corrupt, and after reading how this feature is enabled in the CC standard I believe the problem is due to some mismatch between the CC and the TV's encryption key - whether it's triggered by a change in the cable network or the card/TV interaction is still to be determined, but I just had Comcast out this weekend to replace my Motorola CC with one with the latest 4.21 F/W (the previous one was at 4.05). The fact that they couldn't update the F/W over the cable network raises some questions, and the new card definitely has different info displayed on the CC menus. My TV is also on the lastest Toshiba S/W for my model.

If you have an SA card, someone here should be able to verify if you have the latest F/W. It may not be the cause of the problem, but is definitely something to look at.

I know it's a SA card but I'll have to wait till I get home to check the firmware version.

Thanks for the info about the power with the cablecard, I wasn't sure if that hurt it or not. I didn't think it would because Toshiba's customer service actually told me to put the card in when the TV was on.

This problem is such a pain because if it happens when I'm not home (kids or wife using the TV) then anything I have set to record with my DVR gets hosed.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
If memory serves me correctly, I don't think SA cards show a firmware ID on the card itself. However anything with a date after September 05 is the most current. I'm off to school this week, so I'm not able to check at the LO. If I get a chance to call in, I'll verify though.

Ok, I looked at the cablecard and there weren't any numbers on it.

I went through the cablecard menu and found that it said f/w version 1796-0-253.
Before the numbers though there are a bunch of characters that look like code. A weird font f and then some box characters.

That's all I could find on it, hope that helps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
the card should have a date on the back of it. You don't have to try to view any info through your TV's CC menu. This date can be referenced back to a f/w version. As I stated I believe anything with a date of September 2005 and newer has the latest SA f/w.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us