VCR Recording w/Plasma TV

Matt S
I would like to know how to record television programs with my Plasma TV. My VCR is connected to a reciever and goes out to my Plasma TV from there. My satillite reciever is connected to the central reciever and goes out to the television from there as well. How can I record television programs this way?

Derek
Your Plasma is only a display device. It doen't record. That's what the VCR is for.

What are you recording from? DirecTV, Cable, Digital Cable, HDTV or regular Antenna.

Matt S
I am recording from DirecTV. The way things are setup now with my plasma is much different than my old setup with a rear projection.

Derek
I will assume your VCR is standard VHS and I will also assume your satelite receiver has two sets of A/V outputs.

Leave your Plasma as-is (most likely S-Video) and plug the second set of A/V-outs from your Satelite receiver to the A/V inputs (Red, White and Yellow) of your VCR. Whenever you want to record from Satelite, switch to the A/V inputs - usually the channel bellow channel 2. That will produce the cleanest recordings.

Also see my long posts in Home > Discussions > BBS > Home Video > DVD Players > DVD to VCR to TV to Stereo hook up

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Hello: I would like to know how to record from one vcr to another

Hello, I would also like to know how to record from one vcr to another. Thank you

vidkid
hook up with an a/v cable, out of the (play vcr) into the (record vcr). set the record vcr on line input and start recording. if you are trying to copy movies you will need a video stablizer to hook up between in the video path. this takes out copyprotection. the audio cables will stay as is. the a/v jacks are yellow=video, red=right, white=left. they should be labled "in" or "out". some vcr's have the input on the front. good luck

Unregistered guest
I have a old hitachi vcr. My TV is hooked up to comcast cable. The VCR is hooked up to the TV. (cable not hooked up to VCR) Record goes on, but does not record. Changing the cable to go thru the VCR does not work either.
thanx, maur

Username: Sassy

Post Number: 1
How do i hook a tv up to my vcr. I have no cable so I don't have a receiver?

Bronze Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 38
Debra:
What's your antenna like: outdoor or rabbit ears?

Bronze Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 39
Maureen:
Do you still need help?

Cynthia
Unregistered guest
how do I record from my tv to my VCR, with digital cable setup, everytime I try someting and turn the vcr on, the tv screen turns blue?

Username: Howzer

Mohawk, NY Usa

I have my HDTV all set up and running good. Surround sound is hooked and good, now I bought a Phillips CD and VHS player recorder..I can play both great, but no matter what I do I can not record. Everything is run through the surround sound. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 240
What are you trying to record from and how is everything hooked up? You bought an HDTV and a VCR, no DVD recorder? If it's a Phillips VCR it's a Funai. Funai and Samsung would be the worst that you could have bought.

Username: Howzer

Mohawk, NY Usa

Post Number: 2
I have a Mitsubishi projection tv.wide screen...my surround sound is a sony, The DVD, VHS is a Phillips. No DVD recorder. I want to pick up the movies from my direcTV to the Phillips on record VHS. Everything is running through the Sony. It all works except I can't record off the TV. I get a on screen display that says record..but when I hit the record button on the recorder, it runs the tape, but nothing gets on the tape. OH golly it is hard to explain. Maybe I will have to just not record.

Silver Member

Post Number: 242
If possible run RCA jacks from the Direc TV to the VCR and set the VCR to line. This is the only way to get stereo audio and the picture will be better. You can use coax and set the VCR to channel 3 or 4 whatever the TV is set on, but that will be mono audio and the picture won't be as good. The VCR should be hooked to the TV with RCA jacks too.

Anonymous

i have a comcast digital cable connected to my tv
and my vcris connected to my tv. how do i record onto my vcr

Silver Member

Post Number: 733
Use RCA jacks from the cable box to the VCR if it has them and set the VCR to line. If it doesn't have RCA jacks, use coax and set the VCR on whatever channel you set the TV on to watch cable.

Unregistered guest
I have a toshiba vcr and I have no cable. I only get three channels on tv. I cannot seem to record anything. Any ideas??

Silver Member

Post Number: 751
Connect the antenna to the in on the VCR, then out to the TV. Then in the VCR setup menus set on antenna and autoprogram the channels.

renga
Unregistered guest
I Want to record my sony camcorder tape into my Toshiba VCR. I lost my VCR remote. What is the way to choose the line input in Toshiba VCR using any of the universal remote? Your answer will be very usefull for me

Silver Member

Post Number: 925
You may or may not be able to access line with a universal. Try going through all the channels and see if line comes up. One For All remotes do more functions than other remotes. Which button it will be is unpredictable, it may even be different buttons depending on the code.

Unregistered guest
How do I record VHS tapes from my direct tv sat

Silver Member

Post Number: 963
Connect the satellite to the VCR with RCA jacks and set the VCR to line, look for an input button on the remote.

Username: Atb

hi,
just woundering how i would hook up my panasonic tv up to my phillips vcr ,so i will able to record a channel while watching another channel.
thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 973
Connect whatever you want to record from to the VCR and the VCR to the TV, press the TV/VCR button after you have started recording to watch something else.

Linda Felks
Unregistered guest
How do I record onto the vcr from the tv? It is hooked up already, but when we try to record nothing is showing up?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1012
What are you recording from? If it's cable go into the VCR setup menus and set the cable/antenna to cable, if antenna set to antenna, then autoprogram the channels. When you want to record set the VCR on the channel and record.

schwingle
Unregistered guest
Hi there ...

I used to have cable tv (no cable box). I could set my VCR to record shows on whatever channel I wanted to, and the VCR would change the channel itself. I had a cable box connected to one television, and I needed to change the channel on the cable box to record on that channel.

My question is this: how does it work with satellite (Direct) TV? My understanding is that there is a satellite box connected to every set, and you change the channel on the box, not the tv or the VCR. Does that mean that I would need to set the satellite box to the channel I want to record every time, as with the cable box setup? I suspect this is the case. If so, is there any way to get around this?

Many thanks. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1267
Yes you have to set the satellite channel. You can set timers on the satellite like the VCR, that's the only way around it.

ABQdave
Unregistered guest
We have switched from cable to DirecTV. Previously we could set the VCR to tape a future program at a particular time / channel. Further at that future time, we might watch a different channel.

My question is this: can we do the same with the DirecTV service? The installer did not explain anything about the service, he only installed the hardware and left a mess.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1427
You can time record, but you can't record on one channel and watch another unless you have a dual LNB dish and two receivers.

IAMDESPERATE
Unregistered guest
Hi....our plasma tv is hooked up to the vcr and i'm wondering if there is a way to record one channel while watching another??? Hope u can help! Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1428
Cable or antenna, yes, satellite, no, not without a second receiver. Press the TV/VCR button after starting the recording.

Anonymous

I recently got Directv. Now I can't figure out how to record on my combination Dvd player and vcr. Because it is a combination the Directv installer said I had to do it by pressing the Tv/video button on my tv until is said front. Then I have to leave my receiver on, although I can turn my tv off, in order to record. I did this but all it recorded was a blue screen. Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks

RajeevC
Unregistered guest
We got a samsung plasma TV. we have a comcast cable. I am trying to connect VCR, Cable and TV.
Thank you

Unregistered guest
Have a Panasonic Plasma TV hooked up to incoming cable line (not a cable box). Picture is very clear on all channels. However, when hooking up to a Magnavox MWD2205 DVD Player/VCR combo, upper channels on TV are not clear, and when a VHS tape is played, tiny flashes of white light sparkle on and off on the screen. We have the cable coming from the wall to the antenna in on the DVD/VCR, and then from the antenna out on the DVD/VCR into the TV cable in. Had same problem with Panasonic Omnivision VCR. Can you use a VCR with a Plasma TV and get clear pictures?
Sincerely,
Bill

Gold Member

Post Number: 2000
Connect to the TV with s-video or RCAs from the combo instead of coax. That should help some.

Unregistered guest
I am planning to get a plasma tv. What needs to come out of the wall (electric power receptacle and cable) what else do it need

Gold Member

Post Number: 2227
You may not be too impressed with the picture on a plasma if you're feeding it an SD signal. Remember that probably all the TVs you'll look at in a store will be getting an HDTV signal, not an SD signal.

RobinG
Unregistered guest
Alright im still confused my neighbor has dirctv and a 60inch normal tv like its big from teh back what i would liek to know is how can i record shows that play from directv to the vcr do i hav to go to video output or do i just press record on the vcr and do i hook up the vcr to the tv or somewhere else someone please help me out.

thanks

Unregistered guest
Ihave a panasonic plasma tv 42PHD8Uk very good picture" but no sound when the dvd vcr are turned off" the only way to get sound is to turn vcr on" any help on this problem.

Raaid
Unregistered guest
I have Directv hooked up with a JVC VCR with built in DVD. I just want to know the step by step instruction on how I can record from the TV to VHS?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2362
Connect the sat to the recorder with RCAs and set the recorder to line.

Unregistered guest
What is RCAs?

Unregistered guest
What is RCAs?

Unregistered guest
What is RCAs?

Raaid
Unregistered guest
The problem I have is that I know how to record on VHS but my DIRECTV is connect to VIDEO1 on the TV and not CHANNEL 3 or 4. I just want to know how do I record from VIDEO1?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2373
Connect the cables that go to the TV to the recorder and set the recorder to line. If there isn't an input button on the remote, go through the channels until you get to line.

raaid
Unregistered guest
It still doesnt work.

Username: Dougo510

Have cable tv going into 10 yr old Funai VCR , so I can record off cable. Been doing this for years. Bought a new Phillips Universal remote and now, after putting in correct codes etc..can't record anything at all. Universal remote won't even change channels on the VCR like the previous univ. remote did. Is my 10 yr old Funai VCR too old for the univ. remote I just bought? Thoughts?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2482
Nuke the Philips remote and get a One For All.

Username: Kywillie

I have a Direct TV STB hooked up via RCAs to a fairly old VCR. With the TV input set to the VCR and the VCR in Line position I can watch the TV (sat signal)through the VCR so I assume I have it hooked up correctly.
Pop in a tape, hit record, and the TV still looks fine. Try to play back the tape and I get nothing but static. Salesman at CC says "the record funtion on the VCR is probably dead". Any thoughts?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2729
Do you get audio on playback?

Post Number: 2
No audio playback. It's as if I'm playing a blank tape. Just "static". Thanks for your response.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2730
Have you tried a tape you know has something on it? That would eliminate connection to the TV as a problem.

Post Number: 3
Sorry for the omission, and again thanks for the help.

Yes, the VCR will play pre-recorded tapes just fine. Sound & Picture play fine.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2732
Sounds like the VCR is toast. It's pretty rare for the record to go, but it happens.

Post Number: 4
Not looking good. I hooked it up to an old TV (STB coax out to VCR in / VCR coax out to TV input) and still no go. Thought maybe it had something to do w/ Direct TV is digital, old VCR can't understand the language, but it looks like (as you so aptly put it) the VCR is toast. So the CC guy was right. Huh. Go figure.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us