Picking up local HD channels

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 502
Right now i am subscribed to a 'Digital Basic' package through my local cable company, which comes with too many channels + about 10 HD channels which i prefer to watch through my 50" Pannasonic.
Due to my college budget I cannot afford the $90/month charge and need to figure a way to cut costs.
My cable company has a 'basic cable' setup for much cheaper, but it is not "digital." How much difference would this make in the resolution? Noticable? Is it worth saving $50/month to downgrade to basic cable?

ALso, my last question is that since I enjoy the HD channels so much i was wondering if it is possible to pick up certain local HD channels without subscribing to them, possibly using bunny ears. Please let me know if this is possible, and if it is ill downgrade to basic cable and invest in an antennae.
Which antennaes should i look at, and does anyone know the website that tells what local HD channels are available?

thanks everyone

Silver Member
Username: Albino_midget

Post Number: 400
http://bbauer.gomen.org/ota.htm

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 431
I would recommend anyone to get TERK outdoor amplified Antenna
You can find on www-frysoutpost-com
$80 will get you superior HD reciption locals ch-2 to 69 nothing to pay per month 100% legal

Also check e-bay many dealrs sell on line as well

Silver Member

Post Number: 505
so if my pannasonic HDTV has a ATSC tuner in it, all i need to do is run an antenna to the tv and i will pick up channels for free?
Do i need to somehow connect this to my current cable or is the antenna a seperate deal that connects directly to the tv? im a little confused guys, thanks for all the explanations.

is it possible to receive certain hd channels through the antenna and not have to subscribe to any type of cable company per month?
if so, is this legal?

Silver Member

Post Number: 506
i do not have a satellite also if this makes a difference. i currently subscribe to cable, but if i understand correctly all i need is to connect the antenna to my tv and i will pick up the channels, right? thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 509
bump

Silver Member
Username: Albino_midget

Post Number: 401
that seems to be the case
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=613771#POST613771

Silver Member

Post Number: 435
db-bass
Panasonc got great HD tuners it is all you need
The only thing to keep in mind you have to be within 50 mile radius from your local broadcast stations

You'll get local NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, UPN, as well as more of UHF in HD broadcast better than cable and you can cancel cable. You won't get ESPN, CNN, Fox Sports. just basic local in HD

Go to e-bay and read product description even if you don't buy from e-bay. FRYS is the place to buy new electronics
Good luck
Feel free to ask me anything you want
King

Silver Member

Post Number: 510
i appreciate the help. i think i am going to order an antenna, i went on antenna.org and they recommended me to get a medium directional outdoor antenna even though all the possible channels are within 11 miles.
so i need to figure how i am going to get the cable running from my roof to my tv (through the back patio door) without making holes--as i live in an appartment.

after i get an antenna and cable i want to figure out how to hook up a DVR myself since downgrading to "basic cable" does not include a DVR.

Silver Member

Post Number: 438
If you want to record to DVR
You either have to use DVR tuner

You won't be able to record HD to DVR
You can do so using Digital Decoder DVR from cable company

Why don't you get a Satellite and cancel cable completely?

Silver Member

Post Number: 512
well im trying to get the basic channels for as cheap as possible, and dish' and cables lowest packages cost about the same. so to save myself time and switching companies i just want to downgrade to analog cable (ch.2-62) while hooking up an antenna so i can watch an occasional hd program. i guess i can do without the dvr
if i completely cancel my cable company, will i still be able to watch the few channels i pick up through my antenna?

Silver Member

Post Number: 439
- I would try to get antenna first
- If you got the DVR already there is a way to send 2 signals 1- Signal to DVR (and use DVR tuner) 2- second signal to Panasonic HD TV. Will allow you to watch HD and record SD
- If DVR is capable to record HD then you got no problem at all then use DVR as a main tuner

- There are simple ways around recording HD as an MPEG-2
- In this same forum but under HD& LCD TV dozens of people will give you many creative ideas. In this section of the forum here for Free TV via Satellite no HD.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us