Samsung S5687W - Turns off by itself

Username: S5687

Post Number: 1
Samsung S5687W - Purchased mid Nov 2006
Has started to turn itself off every now and then.
Most of the time when it turns itself off, two lights flash that according to the manual indicates that the lamp door isn't shut properly. Haven't opened anything on the TV. Sometimes no lights flash. It's not predictable when it turns itself off. Sometimes very often, sometimes very infrequently. If you turn it on again soon after it turns off, you hear a whirring noise (color wheel?). Started a week before the playoffs. Stayed on during the playoff weekends thankfully :-) But on days between turned itself off frequently - sort of a magic "I like football" kind of TV :-)

Called Samsung and the service rep that came in obviously could not replicate the problem and then since I mentioned the noise, ended up ordering a replacement light engine without even bothering to open up the TV. The part is due to arrive tomorrow.

Anybody else experience anything like this - any suggestions?

Username: Big10indc

S5687:

I'll appreciate any info you get. Our set has started turning itself off, and it's getting progressively more frequent.

It's odd, when I turn it off, there's the little chime doo-da-lootle-loo. When it shuts itself off, no chime.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Sit and Look pretty

Post Number: 3435
your house its hunted move from your house quick..

Post Number: 3
Patrick:

Samsung replaced the light engine last week and I have not had any problems since. Keeping my fingers crossed.

The bit about the chime is interesting. I do not know if that was happening in my case since I had the TV on "Internal Mute".

Username: Meluvtv

Post Number: 2
Exact same problem with my hlp5663wx. I'm awaiting a service call. I too don't get the chime on these spontaneous shutdowns but I think the chime is independent from the "internal mute"...which I have turned on.

Post Number: 4
@robert

Are you saying that you normally hear the chime even when internal mute is "On"? That is interesting. The chime was never being fed to my amplifier ever. I have not heard the chime since I turned internal mute "On". If I turn internal mute "Off" - I can hear the chime.

Post Number: 4
S5687-
On my P series it seems to be independant of internal mute. I have a seperate option to turn the chime on/off. By the way...I followed the advice of "FYI" who posts to these boards often and removed the back of the set and cleaned the two cooling fans. So far no shutdowns in two evenings of viewing.

Post Number: 5
Also...
On my set the chime comes straight from the TV, even with internal muting.

Post Number: 5
Robert

Thanks for the tip about the cooling fans. Will try that first if it happens again. Also, interesting that the two models behave differently with respect to internal mute and chime.

Username: Piccard

Santa Ana, CA U.S.A.

I'm having the same probler with the S5086W that I bought about a month ago.
I haven't noticed the part about the chime when it shuts itself off, but I will pay more attention.
I would really like to know if anyone figures out the problem as well.

Username: Big10indc

Post Number: 2
Just to let you all know: we had a technician come out and he couldn't find anything wrong. We decided to go ahead and change the bulb/lamp since we already had to pay for a service call. That was $375 -- but it seems to have worked.

If I were more technically inclined, I might think it was a combo of an older lamp (about 2.5 years) and the fans needing cleaning. I bet if we had cleaned the fans it might have lasted longer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us