How to convert SDTV to HDTV

Username: Harsha

Post Number: 1
I have 40 SDTV and I want to convert to convert them to HDTV. I cannot afford to throw away the SDTV that I have. Is there any option ?

Can I add an encoder to convert the SDTV outputs to make it HDTV ?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1321
­
"Can I add an encoder to convert the SDTV outputs to make it HDTV ?"

Sorry, that cannot be done.

Post Number: 2
Can I can get the inputs to the SDTV, make it compatible with HDTV signals - get new hdtv - will that work?
Or should I change the entire connection?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1323
­
You need to buy an new HDTV.
Your SDTV will always be an SDTV---no matter how you hook it up.

Post Number: 3
yeah , I will buy new HDTV. I need to convert the old connection (with sdtv) to new HDTV. I will buy new HDTV, will the input for SDTV be readily compatible with HDTV or should I do anything before connecting to HDTV?

Thanks for all of your replies

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1324
There's an excellent article on C-Net.

See Three Ways To Get HDTV Programming.

Username: Electrictroy

Post Number: 7
Here's my opinion for what it's worth:

- An SDTV, fed with a HDTV signal, will look really, really good!!! We're talking DVD quality.

- That's why, at least initially, I'll be using a HDTV-to-SDTV converter on all my old sets. When they burn-out then I will upgrade.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1326
­
An SDTV, fed with a HDTV signal, will look really, really good!!! We're talking DVD quality.

And just how do you feed an SDTV with an HD signal, specifically?

I'll be using a HDTV-to-SDTV converter on all my old sets.

Can we have the model number of that HDTV-to-SDTV converter, please?

Thank you
­

Post Number: 10
LINK (I searched for "hdtv tuner" at amazon.com):

http://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=hdtv+tuner

Another source for HD signals is to buy a Bluray or HD-DVD player, and feed it into your SDTV. You will get a picture that looks like standard DVD quality (720x480).

IMHO it looks beautiful.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for all the information .

I will buy HD-DVD player or a Bluray to convert the signals going into my SDTV and convert it into Standard DVD quality

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1329
­
Troy, the only reason those stand-alone HD tuners exist is because early (and some monitors today) HDTVs lacked an ATSC HD tuner for over the air HD broadcasts. Using them on an SDTV will gain very little in picture quality over a good SD broadcast signal yielded by a good antenna. That's because an SDTVs are not nor will they ever be an HDTV. The resolution is not there to display a true HD picture. [These ATSC tuners could be useful when all TV stations turn off their standard analog broadcast signals in a couple years. At least your old-fashioned SDTV wouldn't stop working overnight.]

Buying an HD-DVD or Blu-ray player before the purchase of a high quality HDTV is crazy.
"You will get a picture that looks like standard DVD quality (720x480)."
Isn't that what you have your standard DVD player for?
­

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
>>>Using them on an SDTV will gain very little in picture quality over a good SD broadcast signal yielded by a good antenna. <<<

I've never seen a flawless picture on an NTSC tuner. Never. Certainly nothing that looked like DVD (which is how HDTV would appear when down-converted to the SDTV's s-video input).

>>>Isn't that what you have your standard DVD player for?<<<

DVD players can receive the latest new episodes of Heroes or 24 or Smallville? No. Only a DTV tuner can do that.

-Please don't misunderstand me.
-I would love to buy a HDTV.
-But I'm not rich.

- Therefore, my answer is aimed towards people (like me) who want excellent-quality but might not have the thousands needed to buy a big-screen HDTV. My answer is aimed towards the Frugal worker who wants to save money (keep the 4 or 5 SDTVs) but still get a great-looking picture. Adding a DTV tuner

- I'll buy the DTV tuner in 2009.
- And gradually replace the SDTV sets as they burn out.

- RICH: Perhaps it was not intentional, but I feel as if you are talking down to me. Please don't. I'm an electrical engineer with not 1, but 2 degrees, so I'm capable of understanding the technical aspects behind the technolgy. Thanks. :-)

Username: Ninjamurf

San Diego , Ca USA

Post Number: 7
>>>>DVD players can receive the latest new episodes of Heroes or 24 or Smallville? No. Only a DTV tuner can do that. <<<<

Then why do you propose he buy a Blu-Ray or HD DVD player? They can't "receive" those either can they? Buying an HD DVD or Blu-Ray player before buying an HDTV is a ridiculous waste of money and therefore is not relevant "towards people like you". In fact, unless you are going to throw down the cash for a 1080p TV you could argue that HD DVD and Blu-Ray is unnecessary. If you just have a "regular old" HDTV a nice upscaling DVD player will save you a bundle and get you to the same point. In either case, if all you have is a SDTV then a plain old, $50 DVD player is all you'll need.

And regardless of whether or not you have a DTV tuner or a regular old analog tuner, you can still turn on your SDTV and watch 24, Heroes, and Smallville. Not sure what that has to do with the DVD player?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us