How To Load with No Signal

Bronze Member
Username: Vivid

Post Number: 57
Hello There

Can anyone out there answer this question? I have done alot of research this afternoon, and yet, I still can't find the answer to this?

When you are trying to locate a new satellite, I keep reading that the only way to see if you have located the satellite is to watch the Level & Quality Meter. That makes sense.

However, if you don't already have the channels downloaded for the new satellite you are wanting, then you won't be able to get a signal reading.

Without a signal reading, I can't tell if I have located the satellite or not? This is driving me crazy. Five different sites thus far have said if you haven't loaded the new satellite you are looking for, do that first before you start trying to find it. Well how can I load the new satellite if I can't find it?

I am looking for Galaxy 10R, which is 123W. I have already located 121W, so I feel good about that. But I just don't get how I can see a reading on signal strength if I don't have the channels already loaded?

Any Idea's out there?

Sincerely,

Silver Member
Username: Nikk

Post Number: 930
John....

The first thing of all is getting signal...your receiver must have a option or place you can access to check for the signal & quality, after getting the signal & quality then you can do a blindscan to get the channels..that's the order you must follow...Signal & Quality first, then the channels...which receiver do you have???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
Hello There

The reciver I am running for this 33" dish and search of Galaxy 10R is a 2700 Clone. Works beautiful, brand new. Now I know all about watching the Quality & Signal Meter while searching.

I am just wondering how can you see the signal strength, if, the channels aren't already there?

Let me try and explain why I say that? When I open a new receiver, and go to set it up, I select let's say 110, make sure everything is right, correct, and the level is 99%. There is no signal strength though. Since I already know I am in the right spot, it doesn't matter that I don't see a siganl strength. I then click scan, the channels come through, and we are in business. After that, if I ever have to check anything, the signal strength meter is always there with a reading.

THat's my problem. I am looking for something I have never had before. Galaxy 10R. I am using the 33" dish. My level is between 80-90. No signal strength. I just keep stopping every few minutes and running a scan. It turns up nothing. I am just wondering if there is a way to see signal strength when you are searching, though I have never been on that satellite before?

Gold Member
Username: Prfrmnj

Post Number: 1479
You don't need channel data to see either signal strenght or quality level. Once you have properly alinged your dish and lock the signal it will tell you. In the Pasnats you can go to the antena setup and select the sat you are trying to get. Once you lock into the sat you will see both. If you only see signal strenght, that's normally an indication that you have not locked into the sat and are probably alinged on a diferent sat.

Personally I use BirdDog which allows me to target a specific sat and only when I aling on that sat do I get a signal.

There are other tools you can use, but you never know what sat you are aligned on, but once you hit the sat, these tools are great for fine tuning.

Silver Member
Username: Nikk

Post Number: 931
The Signal Strenght is the whole satelite signal with all Tp's included, that's why when searching for a Sat you look for the higer strenght on signal, quality is a measure in % against the ideal level of reception for each frecuency or TP, the information come when you do a scan because included in that scan is the info regarding each TP, while aligning the dish you must be sure where are you pointing at and also if the signal you are receiving is polarized circular or linear, that will define which kind of LNB you have to use, if the sat you are pointing to is transmitting the channels using linear polarization and let's say your LNB is for circular, then you will get signal strenght but no quality at all because your LNB is not capable of transform that kind of signal into something that your receiver can understand, some times you can get just half of the channels if the skew at the LNB is enough to catch and interpret those signals....

Silver Member
Username: Ke5aqn

Shawnee, OK USA

Post Number: 395
Go to lingsat and get the transponder info for one or two channels on the sat you are trying to find. Manualy put in the transponders and then you will have a transponder to put in your receiver to use the sig meter for sig and quality. That is how I found the 5 sat's I have. I kept getting a false signal and then no sig untell I got the receiver set right re:lbb freq, transponder freq, ect......Sorry I was out most of the day wish I could come over and help ya!! Not too sure you can get that bird with a small dish ('33) may need a BUD

please let us know

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Hello There

Thanks everyone for the info. There is lot's to go on. I still do have (2) questions based on what info was supplied for me.

1.) Is the 33" dish not big enough for Galaxy 10R? I was told by so many last week that I would need a 33" to catch Galaxy. That is why I bought the 33".

2.) I understand to go to lyngsat and find a transponder or two for one or two of the channels from the satellite I am trying to locate. However, I don't know how to put in a transponder? How do you put a transponder in?

Sorry again for the questions, but thanks for the info and advice.

Sincerely,

Silver Member
Username: Ke5aqn

Shawnee, OK USA

Post Number: 397
on my pansat 3500 its in the edit channel menu to add a transponder..or you can add it in the scan transponder menu. I am going now to find you more info on getting that bird with a 33" I saw a thread someware.........got to find it

Bronze Member
Username: Rogybe

Post Number: 26
I had 24 inch dish on Galaxy 10R and the signal was good I don't have any dish on Galaxy any more but I think signal is still good enough on 24 or 30 inch dish

Silver Member
Username: Big_fat_j

POTTSVILLE, STONEYTOWN GREEN-LAND

Post Number: 277
A good way to locate 123w g10r is to...

Menu-instalation-antenna setup-g10r-press ok-scroll to TP-select 11720 v or 12114 v.Both are strong TPs.

Now point your dish using one of the tps suggested and the signal meter and beeper will work.

The correct lnb skew is also critical when dealing with KU LINEAR birds.(specialy that one)The 33" dish is perfect.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us