Sammy HLP5085, need help please???

Username: Dellbie

Post Number: 1
I was watching it one day and it just went black...After turning it off and on. The little light buld sign came up where the happy face usualy is...I found this site, looked into all i could read and orderd a new lamp...The Lamp arrived today, popped it in, and nothing....Still shows the litte light bulb error....I pulled the lamp back out and noticed the lens on the color wheel was cracked (pic below).....Will that make the tv act like the lamp is blown?..Do they sell a new lens...Or do i need a whole new wheel?...If you buy a new wheel do you get that whole unit?

..Really appreciate any info..I'm about ready to smash this thing and give up....Just plain deppresing. Thanks!!.Upload

Post Number: 2
Sooo, All i know about DLPs is from reading here.Please excuse the ignorence..

..At first i thought this little piece of glass was dam near irrelevent....I was thinking "light bulb" as in ambient light. A crack would mess with the picture but not stop it

..The more i look at everything, I'm thinking "laser" type light....Could that crack cause enough light refraction to throw off the beam, missing that "eye" type part it shines threw?.......Seems plausable to me.

........When the tv turns on, It shows the happy face....I'm Guessing the tv "thinks" all is fine...It can't know if the glass is cracked....Until after a few reboots, Still no light comes threw. (refraction due to crack) So it figures the lamp is blown?...Then i get the "light bulb" error..

Does any of this sound right, wrong?? Am i grabbin at straws???.....Any opinions would be great....Thanks for anyones time!

Post Number: 3
Hmmm? I'll keep talking to myself, I'm easily entertained, haha!.....I realize i should have asked in the DLP thread....It was so long though i thought it was dead.

Still have no clue about this...Guess i'm gonna call 1-800 Samsung....See if they sell that piece of glass...Don't know if that's the prob? Or if it's even replaceble?

......Nobody has ever seen this issue????...Anybody with advice or opinions would be a great help...I'm going at this blindly...As with anybody with a dead big screen..I just want my TV back!!!, Haahaha!

Thanks for any help!!

Post Number: 4
Shameless Bump....Is this thing on?? (hehehe)

Post Number: 5
Somebody, Anybody...Hook a stranger up???....I'm watchin a 13inch screen here...Oh the horror!!, haha!

Bronze Member
Username: Mrage

Post Number: 15
hey i dont think that glass has anything to do with why your pic is blank when you say happy face does that mean standby temp and bulb blinking? does your bulb light up but just not project the screen give me some more info?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
a 13 in is ruff at least i got a 27

Post Number: 7
Thanks for the help M......I say happy face, like it's going to work like normal...Then after a few tries with no succes, it pops up the Light bulb icon. The screen never changes from black.

Bought the new lamp, cuz that's what it said was the prob....that's when i noticed the broke glass.....I don't know if the lamps working?...Once you slide it in it's housing, i can't tell. Just assuming one of the two i have work.

I still say, that crack could throw off the beam of light, causing it to miss the "eye" or whatever it is, on the other side of the color wheel. Ya ever see that "eye"?..it's like the size of a small Camera lens.....I think that crack is diffusing the light enough to make the tv think the lamp is blown..

But as i mentioned..what the hell do i know?? i'm just guessing..Regardless,i'm gonna need a new piece of glass..Gotta be there for a reason??...Still don't know how to get one???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
i think if you removed the piece of glass from the wheel houseing it would not make any difference if you put a brand new lamp in it it shouldnt be the lamp i would look into the ballest and the color wheel itself if the color wheel isnt spinning right your lamp will not fire up. is your tv making a loud noise at all?

Bronze Member
Username: Turbo15479

Post Number: 56
Other people on this board claim you can keep the cover off from where you remove the lamp and tape the switch shut. You can then power up the unit and see f the lamp is lighting. Do not look at it directly, it is ver bright.

Post Number: 8
Thanks guys..I thought of trying it without the glass...But did'nt know if it would harm the color wheel?...I don't know the purpose of that glass, light filter, heat barrier?

I've kept the back off and held the switch..Hear the fans working..I thought i could here the color wheel?,(a dvd drive kind of noise) Hard to tell with the fans going.. No substancial noise at all. Almost silent, as it's always been.

..I don't know a thing about the ballest..Probably no way to tell if it's bad without some kinda conntinuity test?
.... The lamp mounts in a sealed box, I don't know where the light could even escape from? To be able to see if it's working or not...It's a pretty tight fit in there.

Maybe i should try to start it without the little piece of glass in there?..Anyone know if this would harm anything?...Has to be in there for some reason, no??

Thanks for the input

Post Number: 9
Nuther Shameless Bump.......I'm actually getting used to the 13"...Is that sad???

Post Number: 10
Man i've searched for hours for this dam piece of glass.....Anybody know what it's called??...Closest i could come up with is "Condensing Lens"...Could be way off though?...Still can't find it under that name either...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Sweet, Even my friends are getting used to my new 13"..... I'm selling the dead DLP for the price of the new lamp. Hell of a loss but i'm sick of staring at it! It's just an expensive space waster now...I still wanna run it over in the driveway, but might as well get a little coin for it.

...I wasn't expecting a miracle cure from this place just some handy advice perhaps??..Hell the name of that dam piece of glass would be handy?? Nobody knows, or it's a big secret i guess??

.....Thank you to "M" and "bob smith" for the replys. I do appreciate your attempts to help me.

I'll just let this thread die now. Peace!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
hey you should part it out on ebay, there are still good parts in it and you should be able to make a few hundred, thats what im about to do samsucks and i will never own one of these pieces of sh*t again, make sure you spread the word on how bad these tv's suck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us