Fta dishnet help

Username: Proguy

Post Number: 1
so i have a dishnet reciever which i have hooked to 2 satellites and are connected to a switch (sw21). I recently got an fta reciever, and i used a splitter, and tapped into the satellite signal coming in after the switch. My only problem is i can only watch satellite 110 or 119, depending on the the dishnet reciever and the position of the switch. So i have an idea and i drew a pic to help understand it better.
go here to see it http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c216/timpropeg/satjpg.jpg to see it.

i have asked this question in a few places, but nobody has responded.

My question is, will my new idea work?
My lnb's dont have dual output, only single, and i dont have money to buy new ones.

Silver Member
Username: Donnie1973

Tennessee

Post Number: 505
is ur lnb a DP lnbf? if so, 1 cable to 1 reciever, 1 cable to the other.

Silver Member

Tennessee

Post Number: 506
oh, sry. i see that its not now...looks like thats the way to do it. I never had to do that. Try it. Someone will say that the sw switches wont work with fta...

Post Number: 2
yea i was reading that they dont work well, and that you need the diseqc switch. So i was trying to get info to see if this would actually work before i go out and buy the switch, and go up on the roof (since theres about 1 foot of snow on the roof).

Gold Member
Username: Prfrmnj

Post Number: 1106
SW switches are not FTA Friendly and using a splitter is never recommended. However, this is something I have never done, so the only way to find out if it works is to test it. Test this theory out and let us know, but I don't think is not going to work because splitters are not FTA compatible...

Post Number: 3
splitters are fta compatable because its working fine for me. its just the sw21 switch that isnt.

Silver Member
Username: Crazy_greek

Post Number: 351

Hey Tim
It will work, just change the switch.
How long , I don't know ,but the man at the Radio Shack knows.Look, PR didn't say that the splitters won't work, he said that they are not recommended, and I will have to agree with him.
They are used for VHF UHF FM Master Antenna Systems.These splitters are rated 5-900 MHz,
standard Ku-band reception is 10.750 GHz and
11,250 GHz for Pay TV recetion.Just like coaxial cable RG-59 will work, but not as good as the RG-6/U.The right installation & equipment, a better system. BTW Nice Drawing.LOL to you.
}

Gold Member

Post Number: 1129
Tim - I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the SW21 is not working! Do you mean you tried the new idea and the FTA receiver worked, but your DN didn't? Please clarify what you said.

Kevin - Thanks for clarifying my post. Here I thought I made it very clear that I had not done this and this was just a thought and not a fact! Thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1130
Tim - By the way, one of the reasons Spliters aren't recommended is because when you tune into a channel on one receiver and try to tune to the same on the other, the channel will not come in. But again, I REPEAT, I have not done this so I really don't know how factual that statement really is. So please if it worked for you, let others know how. I thinks that would be good info to share with others.

Post Number: 4
the splitters i have are rated for satellite systems, and are around 2.4ghz i believe. And thanks for the compliment on the drawing lol, ms paint has always been my friend.

To clarify some things, no i have not tried this new idea.
I have had no problems with the splitter i am using. If someone is watching a certain channel on the DN receiver, i can easily tune into it on my FTA receiver no problem.

But, i am having some thoughts, and I am wondering if its better for me to just find some cheap dual output lnb's instead of going through all this mess. Does anyone have any they want to get rid of? Or know of a cheap place to order from? I need 2 of them. lol

OR should I stick with my idea and try it out?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1133
Tim - I'm completely lost! (but then again, that's not hard for me) LOL

Are you having problems with this or not? I do know that the SW21 (based on your first drawing) will give you problems with your FTA receiver when changing from one sat to another. Is that the problem you are having?

I would first test out your theory (second drawing) to see if this works before buying LNB's. I think you may be able to get them from EBay for about 10 or 15 bucks. That's what I used to pay for them when I was installing.

Post Number: 5
okay. i was under my deck and i found a direct tv dish. and it just happened to have a dual otupuit lnb on it. Now my question: it says "compatible with direct tv multi-satellite, direct tv para todos, and direct tv dish antennas" Will this work for dish network??

Gold Member

Post Number: 1134
Last question - Do you have ONE dish with TWO LNB's? Or two separate dish's one for each sat?

Post Number: 6
prfmnj, that is EXACTLY my problem. finally someone understands! lol.

Post Number: 7
I have 2 dishes for dish network. one is aimed on satellite 119, the other is 110. and i have the switch between for the dn receiver to switch between them.

Silver Member

Tennessee

Post Number: 510
what pj is saying is that because the splitters are "rated" for sat systems, doesnt mean they r rated for fta. theres a passing power issue.right?

Post Number: 8
lol forget everything i said about my issue up top. it has nothing to do with that splitter, never did. the splitter works, i was just wondering how my idea on the setup would work. Now. will that lnb i found work for dish net?

Silver Member

Tennessee

Post Number: 511
yes.ur "splitter" may not though. the dtv lnb will only look at 1 sat. 110 OR 119.

Silver Member

Tennessee

Post Number: 512
have u watched tv with this "old" setup?? on the fta? i cant see how...

Post Number: 9
i know it will. i have 2 dishes on my roof. i already have 1 dual output lnb, and now i need another. when i get another, i will switch the lnbs that are on the dishes already (because they are single output) and then i will have one output from either lnb going to sw21 for the dn receiver, and the other outputs going to the diseqc switch and then to my fta receiver. sounds like a plan stan? :p

Gold Member

Post Number: 1135
Tim - To go back to the original issue. You will need to try your theory (second drawing) to see if you are able to split the signal between the DN receiver and the FTA receiver while using the SW21 for your DN receiver and the DISEcQ for your FTA Receiver. My problem with this is again, I don't think the Splitters will work when you try to run a DISEcQ switch, but this is just my personal opinion based on what I've read and not what I've attempted. Dantetn is right, FTA is different, but the only way to find out is to try it! (My original post about testing). I still think it is worth trying and may be beneficial to a lot of people here to share what you find.

As far as the DTV Dish and LNB. While the dish is nothing more then a piece of metal (or plastic depending on where you are located) the LNB itself is a mistery to me. I've never used them, so I can't answer that.

Silver Member

Tennessee

Post Number: 513
if u have 2 duals, 1 cable from each into diseqc then to fta box. 1 cable from each into ur sw21 then to ur subscription box. that will work.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1136
Let me requalify that statement (DTV LNB) - In Puerto Rico DTV LNB's are Linear polarization because they point to the DTV South America (61.5). So I never tried them for DN since that's Circular polarization. But it is my understanding that DTV in the US is Circular polarization which leads me to think the LNB should work. Again, this is one of those you'll need to test...

Silver Member

Tennessee

Post Number: 514
tim, if u had time to try it the way u showed in ur drawing, would love to know if that worked. but, u said a foot of snow outside... yeah, i'd just try it the right way. maybe test in the spring.lol

Silver Member

Tennessee

Post Number: 515
yeah. dtv lnb's work fine, but only look to the 1 sat. where dn lnb looks at 2. (110 and 119)
Lk has a picture of a poor mans dish. 2 dtv lnb's strapped together with a hose clamp thats works great.

Post Number: 10
yea. i use to have dtv. and my uncle switched it over to dn. he just through up a second dish. one looks at 110, the other looks at 119. Both dishes have the single output lnbs. All i need to do is change those out to dual output lnbs, and then all is good. right?

Silver Member

Tennessee

Post Number: 516
yep. just like u said earlier... 1 cable from each to the diseqc to fta. same from each to sw21 to sub.

Username: Sideone

Post Number: 4
I just tried to load a new bin on Fortec LTU, I have a new computer with no serial port so I used an adapter. Anyhow now I just get the scrolling green lights (red eye) how do I fix?

Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us