Very new to the HD world and need some basic help...

Username: Jowall

Post Number: 1
Wow, I wish I had found this website before I ordered my new Samsung LN-S2651 last night, but hopefully, I have made the correct choice in TVs.

I have several questions that are going to make me seem extremely stupid, but I need help, and just couldn't get straight answers from the people that helped me at Best Buy and other places. So here we go:

1) As I understand it, there is no way to get actual HD picture on my TV unless I rent an HD cablebox from comcast. I subscribe to basic cable through Comcast. Just by getting the box from Comcast will I be able to watch HD programming on the basic package. I see all the time on various channels, that "this program is broadcast in HD." But I also know that they have a bunch of special channels like ESPNHD, NBCHD, etc... Will I be able to get an HD picture on my regular old ESPN in my basic package, if in fact it is being broadcast in HD, or will I have to sign up for a bigger cable package?

2)I have an old school Yamaha stereo amp from probably 97 or so with two simple but nice B&W speakers for it. Will I be able to plug the sound from the TV into this Amp and use this equipment, or will I have to get a special amp with digital inputs etc?

3) I currently subscribe to Comcast's limited basic cable, but through their mistake, I actually receive the full basic cable package. Obviously this is a good situation for me. If I get the HD set top box installed, what are the chances that Comcast will discover the discrepancy and make me pay the full amount for the package? Ideally I would like to pay the $12 I'm paying now along with the additional $5-7 for the HD box and still get the full complement of cable channels. Will they find me out?

4) Did I make a good purchase in the Samsung LN-S2651?

5) Is HDTV worth all of this hassle?

Thanks for your help.

Bronze Member
Username: Wanabtech

Post Number: 58
You will receive some HD channels with no equipment from your provider.

As far as keeping your current package, any call generting them to come out will catch it. If you want a box, pick it up at the LO. If you want a cable card, they have to install them.

As far as audio, the box will have various outputs, but to take advantage of the sound, you will want an optical output to the receiver.

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 183
) Is HDTV worth all of this hassle? YES

BUT UPGRADING TO DIGITAL CABLE DOSEN'T GET YOU HD, IT IS AN ADDITIONAL 5 BUCKS FOR THE HD CHANNELS. IF YOU WANT LOCAL HD GET A ANTENNA AND HOOK IT TO A DIFFERMT INPUT. THEN SELECT WHCIH CHANNEL YOU WANT.

Username: Torbanac

Post Number: 3
I just went through this very scenario, I had basic analog cable, I was required to upgrade to
Basic digital cable $14.95/mo and then HD programming $5.00/mo and there was a $17.00 install charge for the guy to bring out the box ,hook it up and have them turn it on. Bought a TV at CompUsa and got $100.00 credit for Comcast bill. PS Compusa guy said it would only be the $5.00.Picture is amazing)The other 3 tvs still plain old cable ready analog.

Username: Rehosmon

Post Number: 1
How do I make my HD channels fill the screen rather than having a widescreen view with grey bars at the top and bottom? I am a Samsung 46" DLP TV.

Username: Torbanac

Post Number: 5
On mine there is a VIEW button that changes the screen size and has a zoom function. Not familiar with the Samsung but I would look for something similar on your remote
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us