Basic Cable and Brodcast TV< DIfferent?

Username: Juan_rod

Post Number: 1
ok here's the deal. i was at my gfs condo last night. we were watching tv and i noticed that she no longer had cable, but she was still getting channels such as the Disney channel and Discovery. i asked how this was possible. she said that the man who had come in to get the their box after canceling, said that most ppl don't know they can simply plug their cable feed into their tv and get basic cable for free. what are the details of this and under what circumstances does this work? also i looked frantically around my much older apartment and couldnt find a similar jack, is this because my apt is older or is this something my Girlfriend had installed when she bought timewarner? thanks alot
-Juan

Bronze Member
Username: Stevestar99

Dahlonega, GA

Post Number: 87
Don't get excited. The cable guy didn't do his job. Most cable disconnects are done at the junction box, not just taking the box. Don't be surprised when the day comes and GF doesn't have cable anymore.

Silver Member
Username: Nikk

Post Number: 875
The thing is that if the cable guy doesn't disconnect the cable from the junction box, then you must be able to get the basic cable for free, but again, what this guys normally do is unplug the cable from the junction box, at your apt, look for a coax cable, if you find it just get a multimeter and check for some millivolts, if that's the case, then there is a signal running from that coax....

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 906
"look for a coax cable, if you find it just get a multimeter and check for some millivolts, if that's the case, then there is a signal running from that coax...."

....and if you leave a tooth under your pillow the tooth fairy will leave you money

Silver Member
Username: Stevestar99

Dahlonega, GA

Post Number: 113
PS, don't go looking for the junction box. It takes a special tool for the fittings. And if "cable guy" finds out about it, there are fines and court cost that you'll be slammed with.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us