Dishes for FTA

Username: Vicgtr

Post Number: 1
Hey all, I am very new to the world of FTA and I have some questions that I can't get a definite answer to. The most important one is, do I need to purchase a new dish or can I use my existing starchoice dish. I know that the bell ones work but no one around here can tell me if starchoice will?

Thx for your time.

Silver Member
Username: Juancho

Superior Lake, ON Canada

Post Number: 239
Victor. with that dish, you will getting only a few TP. The EX Vu dish or DT dishs and LNB's are OK.

Post Number: 2
Thx for the quick response juan. As I mentioned earlier,I am very new to this, so could you plz dummy it down for me, lol. TP, EX Vu.... what do they stand for. I tried to look them up but their was no results.
Also I am looking at possibly getting the 8000 HD, is this a bad choice for a beginer?

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 6789
U can use that starchoice dish...a dish is just a hunk of metal that reflects the signals to the LNB's...U will have to change the LNB's though..

BTW...go to www.dsscomminity.c*om or any REPUTABLE DSS site (List of Reputable Dss sites) thread posted here...they ALL have the info U will need and all your answers..along with definitions , terminology, and "Getting Started with FTA" sections for newbies like yourself!

That info is NOT available here, since NO files and manulas are allowed here..

Gold Member

Post Number: 6791
Thread: List of Reputable DSS Sites

LK
Gold Member

Post Number: 4652
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 10:24 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Final Solution Free To Air:
[link removed] (C00LSAT and All receivers)
DSS Newbies:
[link removed] (Pantecs,all clones and all receivers)
[link removed]

Gold Member

Post Number: 6793
I firmly believe that every man and women at age 18-23, should be required to enter the military for a minimum 2 years and spend at least 1 year in a 3rd world country..then come home and U will appreciate what U have and try to improve on it as well..

Bronze Member
Username: Elgalloepiza

Post Number: 32
does any body knows how to add the canadian satelite to the 110 and 119? thanks

Gold Member
Username: Prfrmnj

Post Number: 1044
I agree with you on that LK. The military has a way of opening ones eyes to what otherwise they would be blinded to. And yes, a third world country will definitively do the job. People don't realize how good they have it and unless they've been there never will.

Now to get on the subject of the thread. As LK said, a dish is a dish is a dish. The metal itself all it does is reflect a signal that is then picked up by the LNB. Conclusion - It's the LNB what matters here and what we've been preaching for the longest. This is where most people run into problems setting up their systems. Read up a little on the different types of LNB's and what type of LNB will work with your system. Depending on what you are setting up will be the type of LNB you will want to use.

Silver Member
Username: Crazy_greek

Post Number: 335

Which Canadian Satellite?
And do you mean to add with Echo Star 110 & 119?

Post Number: 3
LK, why did you post about the military, it wasn't relative to my post? I'm not dissing or anything like that, I'm just curious.

BTW thx for the info on the sites. I got alotta reading to do, lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 6798
simple answer...I screwed up and posted that military opinion in the wrong thread here..it was intended for another thread....good luck Victor

Username: Dssrookie

Post Number: 1
LK, how are you?

Listen I mean you no disrespect, and I wish you a Happy New Year... but

Why do you always refer to 'reputable DSS sites' if this site is so inferior why are you here? You are VERY smug, and I understand you've come under attack here often.. why are you here? Lately you've been NO help, just belittle the newbies.

ok, now since I asked you why you are here, i'll tell you why I am.

I came here late July, the ecoustics site was the first site i came up with that contained a 'keys' thread. Eventually I READ a lot, got a key grabber, kept reading and joined many of those 'reputable' sites. I kept reading like any good newbie would and 90% of my questions were answered by other peoples same questions. I got my setup up and running finally, and have read and experimented with my own setup to the point I'm going to try and start helping others. When or IF I should say get to be smug and belittling to the newbs asking legit questions, I shall remain quiet.

You LK strut around here like you've been everywhere and done everything, it's quite annoying. If all you want to contribute now is masked insult to boost your ego, why not lurk, stop posting. I still check in here, there is still an occasional thread on something new, and that i appreciate... your smug commentary, not so much.

Cheers all the same, but cmon guy, lighten up in 07, some of us still have Newb questions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6800
DssRookie stated...LK,why are you here? Lately you've been NO help"

yeah U are right...my info in this thread is no help and the guys below didn't get any either..

LK
Gold Member

Post Number: 6797
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 04:40 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neusat definitely over the Fortec!...and the Captiveworks over the Neusat....or if its a money issue, buy "used" from the "For sale" sections at many Dss sites..can buy "used" VS for $50..

LK
Gold Member

Post Number: 6785
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 11:33 am:

If U KNOW 100%,

the dish has NOT moved slightly by wind or weather elements..

or cable not eaten by a squirel or bird, or is weather beaten...

the connections are NOT loose or corroded

and your switch has NOT just gone bad (because they are so cheap and cheaply made) and is not weatherproofed...

that U have rechecked your antenna/dish receiver settings and ARE in fact currently correct for Bev and/or DN sats and LNB's..

Then U may want to upload the factory bin, do a new scan, load the latest bin, recheck the antenna/dish settings again, wait and let keys autoroll or manually input them, and reboot the receiver..

LK
Gold Member

Post Number: 6782
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 10:54 am:

Latest VS Extreme bin/file 061220X 20 Dec

http://www.dsscommunity.c*om/forums/download.php?id=532

Vs Extreme 061213X 13 Dec Complete Package with Bin, loader, and channel lists for 91-110-119 sats..

http://www.dsscommunity.c*om/forums/download.php?id=503

c/p into browser amd remove the * in links

Sam
Silver Member
Username: Pathfinder191

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 02:57 pm:

LK,
Thank you very much for your kind info. Yes, I have been waiting for long to get this information for rainy days when my SonicView would not auto roll. I am glad you have responded my question.

Thanks again. You have a Merry Xmas and wonderful holidays.
Sam.

Post Number: 4
please guys, I didn't want to start any arguments, I just wanted some questions answered. I have been doing some reading and it seems the the viewsat's are the better of the lot(beginner friendly and the quickest at getting you up and running again. As I mentioned earlier I was looking at the CS8000 HD but I also seen that viewsat is coming out with a HD reciever. Anybody have any idea of it's name, when, priceing, etc?

Username: Dssrookie

Post Number: 2
Ah, LK gotcha.

You're here because you love it when newbs PRAISE you. it's just too bad you have to be a pr*ck about it so often. I've never questioned your ABILITY to help others, i've read your posts. It's your attitude, i'm curious now what you have to say in that military discussion you so carefully xposted here.

You come across as one of those assh*les with the attitude "if you haven't done things my way, you're just wrong" Tell me why I would need to be in the 3rd world cesspool to appreciate what I have in my own country? I love where I live, my country is great, my government is full of assh*les, yes I vote those assh*les in, do i serve in the military ? no? why? it's not for me. That doesn't make me appreciate my country any less. You sound like the ramblings of a bitter man. "argh, young b*stards don't appreciate sh*t."

Look guy i'm not here to be a new bbs sparring partner, i've seen you have enough people here not liking you. I just get tired of your BS sometimes. I've not checked the settings having just signed up, perhaps I can filter you out.

I'm sure you're quite smart LK, its unfortunate you need the constant external validation.

Cheers, pat yourself on your back for me. GREAT JOB GUY!

Post Number: 5
ENOUGH PLZ, stop using my post to insult. I've joined other forum sites and it always end up people aren't answering the questions of the thread, it's just for people to bash each other. That's why I left those sites, I was hoping this site might be different(maybe not). How 'bout we all put differences aside and try to help one another out, in the new year.
Anyone just want to help a guy out with some questions.

Thx

Silver Member
Username: Juancho

Superior Lake, ONTARIO Canada

Post Number: 249
Victor. If you look at the starchoise dish, The old or the new elliptical dish that looks like it has breasth won't be of much use unless you like a lot of hard work trying to align it.The starchoise's LNB are bigger and you have to use hockey tape. Nobody use them here in this town, no even free I will have it.Remember we have more choise here .

Gold Member
Username: Prfrmnj

Post Number: 1052
DSS Rookie - Just to answer one of your questions (I have no intentions in getting into your fewd with LK), but the reason LK and most of us refer other people to read from the list of "Reputable Sites" is because and any of those sites you will find how to manuals and files. You will not find them here because this sites does not allow for file posting. That is the reason for that list and why we tell others to go there. You will find that most simple questions are answered around here by a lot of us. But we always start or close our posts by refering people to those site. Again, because you find more information there then you will here. A lot of newbies come here to learn but when you try to teach them or direct them, they get their pant1es in a wad because they didn't get spoon fed.

"Give a Man a fish, you feed him for the day... Teach him how to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime"

Post Number: 6
Thx Juan and LK, for the useful info ('nough said)

Gold Member

Post Number: 6803
Victor ...come to dsstester.c*om or Dsscommunity.c*om...U will enjoy good friendly people, and much more info than here...and I don't allow BS and bashing , so U won't encounter the childish behavior that U see here..

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 1122
If you have dish which is scanning both 110 and 119 with one or two LNB.s it is easy to convert it to scan the Canadian channels, i.e. Nimiq2 (82) and Nimiq 1(91) - notice the 9 degree spread? Standing behind the Dish, you turn it a little to left (18 degrees to be precise) and you will get the two satellites. The LNB that brings in DN will more than likely bring in BEV.

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 288
Victor
The VUSat 8000 HD I don't recommend to anyone at the present time over $450.00
You may want to start with dish 500 with a twin LNB one wire to Receiver
VUSat Xtreme less than $180

DSS Community sell it and you can get free download PGM files
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help