HDMI ver 1.3

Bronze Member
Username: Idrivearocket

Post Number: 17
Does anyone know if the Sony KDL52XBR2 has version 1.3 HDMI inputs? They have 3 HDMI inputs, but I can't find where the version is stated anywhere. PS3 is one of the latest devices to use ver 1.3 which supports high color and it would be a shame for sony to release their flagship LCD panel which can not support PS3's full capabilities. The sharp LC52D62U has version 1.2a and can not utilize the best display features of PS3. I'm not sure if any TV's have ver 1.3? anyone know...?

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 82
What is high color?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
HDMI ver 1.2 is capable of 24 bit color max. Ver.1.3 is capable of 30,36 and 48 bit colour. It is debateable if the human eye can detect over 24 bit colour, but one of the rhumored delays of PS3 was to wait for HDMI version 1.3 which is available only from this December. PS3 is said to be capable of taking advantage of colour better than 24 bit.

Basically the single link bandwidth has been increased from 165MHz to 340MHz, going from ver 1.2 (and under) to the 1.3.

HDMI ver 1.3 is also capable of carrying DTS-HD audio and possible higher frame rates...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
The actual Sony PS3 HDMI cable costs $50 and is version 1.3. Other cables at the home electronics stores are tyring to hose you for over $150 just for gold plated ver 1.2.

Bronze Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 83
So are you saying that there are different versions of HDMI cables? Like a 1.3 HDMI cable and a1.2 HDMI cable and a 1.1 HDMI cable?

Username: Hodedofome

TX USA

Post Number: 1
Check out this link here http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/2006/08/hdmi_part_8_-_cables_for_13.php

There is a different spec for the new 1.3 cables, however if a cable passed the previous spec, it *should* pass the 1.3 spec. Very few people have submitted their cables to get certified for 1.3 so far, so don't get upset if only a few companies sell 1.3 cables for way more money than they are worth.

Peter: I too can't find anywhere what the HDMI spec for the tv is. I would call Sony and ask them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
I think the 1.3 upgrade lies more in the tv/source hardware/software, but perhaps some cheaper HDMI cables won't be capable of carrying the full bandwidth which 1.3 can manage. I don't really understand the details, but I'd like to have 1.3 on everything if I was making a buying decision right now... I can't wait for Blue Ray and PS3.... and I'll be darn angry if I spent $6000 without making sure I've maximized the full capability of BD disc and PS3 games.

My concern is if Sony are selling their flagship LCD screen without having the true display capabilities of PS3.

TX USA

Post Number: 5
Peter, are you planning on having a receiver/surround sound setup? I know there are no 1.3 receivers as of now and Denon is the only one that has announced a mid-2007 HDMI 1.3 release.

To me it's really the latest and greatest upgrade game. If you buy HDMI 1.3 spec now, in a year or two a new spec will be out that will be fancier, and soon after that 1080P will be not the best anymore. 1.3 sounds great but if I was to buy now I would go cheaper and get something older, it's too expensive to stay ahead of the pack. That's just me.

Bronze Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 84
OK Guys. Just been funnin with you all. 1.1 carries the hi def 1920 x 1080 video signal. 1.2a adds hi def audio, and 1.3 adds functionality like interactive menus, online interviews with movie directors, putting your self in a movie scene, alternate ending switches and other items Sony Demonstrated last year at CES.

I have also not seen a 1.3 capable receiver yet, but some receivers are 1.2a capable, which means they can pass the video signal and decode the hi def audio, which all I really need.

That being said, I'd still be sure to be at 1.3 if I was buying a new erceiver or at least be upgradable to 1.3. HDMI will be the video spec for a long time as far as connectivity, although there will be two different physical HDMI plugs on the cables and in fact, there already are.

Happy New Year and be safe

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Aaron,
I agree with you that there could always be something better.. and you've gotta pull the trigger sometime, but I'm banking on 1080p type video and DTS-HD type audio being pretty much everything you need (and then some) for at least the next 5 years.

2 years ago DLP was the bomb... now it's passe... I think if you can fully utilize PS3 and BD discs in your home theater, your setup will outlast what some previous technologies could offer. 2007 may be a great year to buy, from both a value and technological standpoint.

That's my guess, as 2006 is just a fraction too early for 1080p screens (with rare exception) I don't think anyting will out do 1080p for at least 5 years.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Marc,
It seems the 1.2 adds SACD capability but not DTS-HD. DTS-HD will have high transfer rates. (but now I need a new receiver... ahhhh!) 1.3 adds the DTS-HD and hi color, which seems to be the only step remaining to allow for all of BD disc and PS3's capabilities.

I heard 1.2 is pin compatable with 1.3, which will allow manufacturers to convert when they choose to do so.... but what does that mean? Does that mean that manufacturers can upgrade existing sets already in homes accross the US...., or does that mean that they can use the same hardware they have in their stock room for building the TV's, but need to impleiment totally new software when they build the TV set? (meaning that existing sets are not upgradeable...)

Bronze Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 86
I'm looking at 2008 as the year to buy a 1080P, HDMI 1.3 full set up as far as display, receiver, HiDef DVD player etc. I think it will be another year for the compatibility issues to shake out, receivers to be 1.3 up to speed, and 1080P displays to reach some semblance of a stable price point.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
My buddy got the PS3 yesterday and connected it to his 60" SXRD. The PS3 with HDMI ver 1.3 cable will not display on his TV in 1080p. (screen goes blank) All other resolutions work ok. So far it seems 1080i/720p is the best he can get.

The sony store at the time of purchase said that TV can handle 1080p, but the TV will first downconvert and then re-upconvert the signal.

We aren't sure of the reason yet, but either that TV can not display 1080p signals or the HDMI ports can not communicate properly for 1080p....

Graphics look awesome on the PS3...

(he has last years SXRD, the first year they came out)

TX USA

Post Number: 7
I believe the first-gen SXRD could not accept a 1080p input, hence your problem getting 1080p to display. I believe the newest SXRD's will accept a 1080p input.

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

New York, NY

Post Number: 937
bump
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us