ECM, EMM and Signals for both Plastic and FTA explained

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 6497
ECM, EMM and Signals for both Plastic and FTA explained...

copy/paste by Dipper

I have to answer this one once and for all...

First of all, satellite signals do no harm to any equipment. It's physically impossible. Even receivers made by Dish and BEV cannot be destroyed with a signal. It just doesn't happen.

The software on Dish/BEV receivers is designed to do certain things when it receives data from the satellite: Send and deliver messages, process payments, order ppv movies....or....shut down when it is told to look for certain coding on the card. That's right-- even the card itself cannot be destroyed by the satellite signal.

Simple logic applies:

If A = B, then C. In this case, A= A certain offset in the bin file on the card, B= a ppv string, blocker, or anything else that a normal sub would not have, and C= loop the card or write a string of code on the firmware that causes it to not function.

FTA receivers do not have software designed to interact with the data stream in that way. They do not process Charlie's "If A=B then C" commands. FTA receiver software cannot be updated through the data stream. It only gets updated through the RS-232 port by your computer. That's why key changes, map calls, algorithm changes, and other things that cause FTA receivers to lose Dish/BEV channels are not ECMs.

Charlie can change the way the keys are processed. He can also change certain areas of the MAPROM to serve different functions. Keys change on a routine basis as well. The FTA software contains a card image that operates just like a smart card and it is designed to accept these changes. The firmware bin outside of the card image cannot be touched through the stream. When these changes occur, sometimes screens go dark and channels disappear. Many people call this an ECM but that is not technically true.

Since a True FTA receiver that doesn't use a third-party bin doesn't have a card image, there is nothing on the firmware that is designed to be altered through the data stream. As another pointed out, that makes as much sense as the radio station sending out a signal to change the station on your radio dial.

In order for Dish or BEV to truly ECM an FTA receiver, it would be necessary for them to have in their possession the source code for all 20-30 different FTA receiver brands. You and I don't have the source code, so you can bet Charlie doesn't either-- even if he has a room full of Viewsats and Sonicviews.

Next, after having the source code for every receiver, he would need to stream this code in the data stream. Satellites do not have unlimited bandwidth. He'd have to drop about 100 channels or so just to fit all of that firmware in the data stream-- on all 7 satellite locations.

Then, he would have to post a hacked bin on all of the sites and hope that people are dumb enough to load it to their receivers. Remember, Dish receivers interact with Charlie because they are programmed to. FTA receivers would have to be programmed to do so as well. Currently, they are not.

After all of the dumb mofos out there loaded Charlie's bin to their receiver, then Charlie could indeed wreak all sorts of havok on them with his update from the stream. Of course, with 100 channels chopped off of the lineup not many people would still be watching anyway. Those who were smart enough not to fall for such a thing would be sitting here laughing at all of the idiots who fell for Charlie's trap.

So you see, as it stands now, Charlie...

1) does not have the source code necessary to cause FTA receivers not to function.

2) does not have the bandwidth on the satellites to accomodate all of the firmware that would be necessary to launch such an attack.

3) does not have the legions of idiots foolish enough to fall for such a trick that it would take to make such an ECM effective.

In other words, I repeat:

DISH CANNOT &$%! WITH YOUR RECEIVER!

Silver Member
Username: Prfrmnj

Post Number: 912
Good Post LK! Not sure if you recall the discussion I had with the two fools that argued the same thing when I told them that what he called ECM was not an ECM, but just the way everyone came to know it. You hit that one on the botton!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6499
yes I remember that VERY well...in fact I "flashed back" to your discussion when I read this article..yours was a "heavy" discussion, but fairly brief as I recall, and also "heated" on a few posts, and it involved some "regulars' here whose name I cannot remember now..getting CRS, but thats how I remember it..LOL

I found this very interesting and the TRUE workings of how all this software,hardware, and signals all interreact or do not interreact...I "loosely' use the term ECM myself, which is technically wrong with FTA..

Silver Member

Post Number: 914
Once again, this was a heck of a post and really good info. I've had a lot of people ask me if DN fried their receivers because they stopped working. My answer has always been the same "it's either something they did or it was just time for the receiver to go, but no, DN did not mess it up"...

Gold Member

Post Number: 6511
their rom 102 cards maybe no longer be programmed at this time, but receiver is OK..

Silver Member

Post Number: 922
Opps... I mean to say FTA Receivers. They were asking about Fortecs and Pansats. We all know what the deal is with Fortecs

Gold Member

Post Number: 6522
is yours a door stopper now ...or in just hanging around in a spare room?....LOL

Silver Member
Username: Lebrimal

Post Number: 105
thank you LK, good stuff

Silver Member

Post Number: 926
spare room

Gold Member

Post Number: 6558
bump....good info in first post here

Username: Nash04

Post Number: 5
Does this means we should not try to flash files on DN receiver to make it FTA receiver?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6564
U cannot do that!...OK, I get it, Its a joke....LOL

Username: Webspyder01

Post Number: 4
What is the deal about fortec? should I not buy one?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6565
CM...do NOT Hijack (STEAL) this thread..is about EMM and ECM, not about what or if U should buy , or Fortec!

That why peoplehave such diificult times fimnding info here , because people like U just wrire and babble anything U want, anywhere U want....be considerate of others who are looking for help and answers...

Post in a fortec thread at least!...or start a new one.nd don't even try suggesting your question has even 1 iota relationship to this thread/subject..

Username: Vette86pc

Post Number: 1
"That's right-- even the card itself cannot be destroyed by the satellite signal."

Not trying to be a smart @55 here but I was wondering how did Dave hit the H cards on black sunday that caused everyone to get one of the bootloaders? I thought that he wrote something to the card to make it un usable and it couldn't be erased. Maybe I was missinformed or is that because it is a different system then what Charlie uses? Please don't take this the wrong way. I am no expert on this stuff and I just want to learn as much about it as I can.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6723
bump..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us