New DVD Universal Player - $400 to $600 Maybe More and Would Consider Blu-Ray - Suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1060
OK guys, and I use that term generically.

I have an Outlaw Pre/Pro 770 (7.1 Surround) working with an Adcom 7.1 amp at 125 wpc.

The outlaw has DVI and not HDMI so I'm looking for a compatible 7.1 Universal DVD player with good video and audio. It's all connected to a Panasonic 50" Plasma that's 1080I (possibly 1080p compatible and has 2 HDMI ins).

Suggestions in the $400 to $600 range or higher if I can sell my Denon 2200 for $200 or so?

Also, I wouldn't rule out Blu-Ray if someone can make a good case for it's quality of video and sound over a Universal player. Thanks, Dave.

Bronze Member
Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 97
Hi Dave:
I would take a look at the latest member of the Oppo family. Their new DV-981HD upconverter is the sucessor to their award winning line composed of the DV-970HD and DV-971. The new 981 is an HDMI upconverter (even does 1080P !) and also has SACD audio, coax and optical connections. The onboard Farouja chipset will certainly place it at the top of the food chain in video performance. This will be perhaps the best player for the buck that you can find anywhere. It also comes with an HDMI cable.

visit oppo at www.oppodigital.com

They are a small company with huge customer support and a very loyal following. They sell direct or via Amazon and one or two outlets.

In addition the Denon DVD-2930 is a consistant high performing DVD player with universal and upconverting capabilities. It also has the Farouja chipset and is always at the top of DVD tests and bake-offs. It is rather expensive however but probably worthy of a gander.

Art
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us