Antenna OTA with Basic Cable (Single Input)

Username: Brianjh

Post Number: 6
I am trying to help my father who has basic cable (no digital box) and would like to use an antenna to receive Digital broadcasts. The HDTV has only one RF input.
If I autoscan with the antenna, I do not get the cable channels until I do an autoscan with cable.

Is there anyway to "save" the channels so that I don't have to autoscan when swithing between antenna and cable?

The TV is a Symphonic 32" LCD with ATSC/QAM tuner.
It also has component and S-video inputs. Can I convert one of the RF inputs to a component input?

Bronze Member
Username: Wanabtech

Post Number: 50
what about using an a/b switch or a diplexer?

Post Number: 7
The a/b switch and diplexer will still have issues with the way the TV does its autoscan. The TV either does an autoscan on the antenna or the cable, not both at the same time. Once the antenna is scanned the cable channels no longer come in and vice versa.

Post Number: 8
I understand the ATSC tuner is used OTA channels and the QAM tuner is used for cable. Is there a way to have both ATSC and QAM tuners "on" at the same time so I don't have to autoscan each time I change from cable channels to OTA channels?

Post Number: 9
Here is what I have come up with so far: Connect the Antenna to the RF input on the TV. Run autoscan to get HD channels. Connect the cable to VCR and use A/V output to component input on the TV. To watch cable, I will have to change to video1 with the TV remote and then change the cable channels using the VCR remote.

Does anyone have a better solution?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us