TV - Cable Box - DVD Recorder

Username: Davidi

Post Number: 1
can someone please advise on the basic way to do the following:

Attach my TV, and cable box to a dvd recorder, and is it possible to record when tv on standby.

My cable channel is EXT1.

Bronze Member
Username: Tipstir

Post Number: 81
Who do you have for cable?
What model of cable box do you have?

See the problem you might have if you have basic or standard cable box without Digital Cable box features.

Analog Video
Analog Audio
S-Video
Component Video (Red/Green/Blue)
Digtal Coax (Audio)
Digital Optical (Audio)
HDMI (Both Digital Video and Digital Audio)
RF Coax

If you don't have one of those Digital Cable Boxes with DVR, you can now record OnDEMAND using your DVD Recorder.

Username: Dfh2

Antigua, Sacatepqequez Guatemala

Hi -
I am thinking of purchasing the new LG 42" plasma with time machine HD DVR. I currently have a basic Directv satellite sydtem (no dvr or tivo dvr) Is it possible to record directv programming directly to a dvr or dvd-r wihout signal interference?
Thanks

Username: Maggiedann

Bloomfield Hills, Mi. United States

How would I hook up a Comcast DVR box to record to a DVD recorder? I don't have to record directly to the DVD from the TV. I am willing to record from the DVR to the DVD. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 215
Use an S-Video cable Margaret.

xvxvxvx

Username: Bock

Storrs, Ct USA

I cannot do timed recordings because the DVDR only recognizes the channel I am tuned to. During SETUP for timed recordings, it does not find any other channels. The TV cable connection feeds into the digital Cable box IN, then from the digital cable box RF it feeds into the DVDR IN connection. From the DVDR TV-out connection it feeds into the TV. The audio video cables connect from the digital cable box Out to the DVDR IN and from the DVDR OUT to the video and audio IN. I believe the problem lies with Charter digital cable, they want to sell their own DVR support. Any ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3307
If you want to record digital channels, leave the box on whatever channel you want to record and set the timer record for whatever input the A/V cables are connected to. To record analog channels, split the incoming cable to the box and recorder.

Username: Casroj

Abbeville, Sc Usa

can someone please help me hookup a directv plus receiver, rca vcr/dvd combo player, dvd recorder, and an old rca tv? make directions as simple as possible, please.

Username: Bock

Storrs, Ct USA

Post Number: 2
Thank you, David, for your response. I ended up using the TV as a splitter. The TV has two antenna inputs and one split output. With the new setup, I am able to record digital and analog channels while watching analog channels or turning the TV off. It is not the most elegant solution, but it does the job. Thank you again for your help. If anybody is interested in getting the details, please send me an email and I will send you the details of the hookup.
I hooked up a new DVDR, existing older TV and digital cable box. I can hook a camera or other recorders / players to the front input of the DVDR.

Username: Tilia

I'm having problems getting my DVDR to record the channel reflected on the digital HDTV box. It will only record channel 3 when input is on component. I have a Samsung HDTV, a Pace DC551P digital HDTV box and a Pioneer DVDR. I'm using HDMI and component cables. The digital HDTV box does not have a cable out. No idea what else to do. Need connections help!!}

Username: Moltoparticolare

In connecting HD cable box, HDTV, and Panasonic DVR, will I lose picture quality if the box is connected to the TV THROUGH the DVR, or directly? If I connect directly, then I have to connect the DVR directly into the TV too.
In order to record, however, the DVR has only S-video or composite inputs. Is S-Video any better than composites?
Thank you very much

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3346
S-video is better than composite in most situations. Once in awhile, depending on components, composite can be better.

Username: Galaxie2

I just upgraded from basic RCN cable to digital RCN cable. I had been using a Panasonic DMR-EH50 DVD recorder with no problems at all.

Now, however, the DVD recorder will not recognize the Motorola digital cable box that RCN installed. I can view some of the digital channels through the DVD recorder but not all, and some of the channels available through basic cable have disappeared.

I also cannot record on one channel and watch a program on another like I used to before. Is there a way to fix this? All the connections are correct, and I have run the set-up feature on the DVD recorder three times with no luck.

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 242
Mary,

All DVD recorders record only analog channels. You need to install a splitter from the cable before it enters your cable box and run one line to your box and the other to your recorder.

xvxvxvx

Username: Sunlover331

Post Number: 2
i have a tv with a built in dvd player only/ i want to hook up a dvd player/recorder to tv/ i do not have a cable box to go thru, only direct cable from outside

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1182
Mary
I'm not sure if yo R 2 different Mary or same

Yo can't record from another DVD player that doesn't have RCA (Y/W/R) outputs

Those combos got built in connections to TV
If your recoder got a hard drive yo might B able 2 do it.

Username: Sleezy10truck

Hello,
I know this is somewhat repetitive, but not very good with this sort of thing. Looking to get my dad a simple DVD recorder from best buy, just to hook into his comcast cable DVR box and burn saved programs. Again, I am not fluent in this, so if someone could simply explain it to me. I would like to also keep a simple set up for my dad. Thanks!

Username: Ella

Post Number: 9
Take a look here:
http://www.xdimax.com/grex_faq/faq_howto.html#stbdvd
Whether or not you will use Grex you can use this connection.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us