New to the HDMI world

Username: Okisand2000

OkinawaJapan

Post Number: 1
Ok here is the setup:
Sony KL-61HS30 Projection TV: Hi Scan 1080 (1080,720,480p and 480i inputs)
Sabre HDMI capable DVD player (went CHEAP first to see if everything would work)

Im using the component cables (red green blue ones) from the DVD to the TV. I have the DVD set to 1080i and according to the manual, the tv should automatically recognize whatever signal is being input to it.
First off, when the DVD player initially turns on the screen (rolls??) up and down, but when i start a movie its fine.
Secondly, the way i see it, the movie you are watching has to be an HDMI movie in order to get the full 1080 resolution right?? Can't see how you would get that resolution from a regular movie regardless of how its connected or set up to the TV. So i guess my questions are this: Do I have everything hooked up right from the DVD to the TV?? And would getting the HDMI DVD make the difference im looking for?
Not concerned with HDMI sound yet so i havent purchased the HDMI cable that goes from my receiver (audio) to the DVD player. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1195
First off, when the DVD player initially turns on the screen (rolls??) up and down, but when i start a movie its fine.

As long as playback is good, there's no problem.

Secondly, the way i see it, the movie you are watching has to be an HDMI movie in order to get the full 1080 resolution right?? Can't see how you would get that resolution from a regular movie regardless of how its connected or set up to the TV.

Your intuition is correct. The maximum resolution of any regular DVD is 480. "Upconverting" DVD players equipped with HDMI (or DVI) outputs are supposed to give you "near HD" video quality by scaling the video to either 720 or 1080 by repeating lines that exist in the 480 signal. In order to see the benefit, you're supposed to use the player's digital video output.

You can try the HDMI output on this player, but my guess is you'll see very little improvement in video performance. The fact is your Sony is already upscaling all video signals to 1080 anyway, and I can guarantee you the scaler is better in the TV than it is in that cheap DVD player.

By the way, there's no such thing as an "HDMI movie." There are blue laser formats (HD-DVD and Blu-ray) that deliver 1080 resolution. Both formats require HDMI hookup to give best results.

Username: Okisand2000

OkinawaJapan

Post Number: 2
I meant HD,, fingers just added the "MI" part to it,,, well everything was for not,, realized i needed an HD tuner/converter to get the full picture going. I appreciate the response though,, thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Chico

Post Number: 73
are all hdmi cables equal or the brand names better?

Username: Hydraulics

Canada

Post Number: 1
HELP
I cant get my PS3 hooked up with HDMI. I know how to do the set up suing AV cables and selecting HDMI, but when i switch over to the video input that is my HDMI, it wont show anything! I have a Sony Grand Wega 55 inch. Please email me at: flame_razor_92@hotmail.com

Bronze Member
Username: Idrivearocket

Post Number: 24
Jas,
Did you solve your PS3/HDMI issue? I'm also wondering about HDMI compatibility issues.

A friend of mine uses the HDMI cable from PS3 to SXRD, and displays in all resolutions except for 1080p. (screen goes blank in 1080p)

What exactly is your issue?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
from what i have read, first generation 1080p TV like the SXRD you just mentioned have native resolution of 1920x1080p but CANNOT accept 1080p because of the hdmi connector they used( i believe hdmi version 1.0).the ps3 has hdmi version 1.3 which is the latest version. i ran into this same problem too when i tried to use my ps3 on a friends sony(3 lcd rear-projection tv) w/ a hdmi cable. i am not sure what exactly the issue is but i believe hdmi 1.0 does not have hdcp(high-def copyright protection) and w/out this the ps3 will not connect(or handshake between the two devices).

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1286
­
from what i have read, first generation 1080p TV like the SXRD you just mentioned have native resolution of 1920x1080p but CANNOT accept 1080p because of the hdmi connector they used( i believe hdmi version 1.0).the ps3 has hdmi version 1.3 which is the latest version.

"HDMI has always supported 1080p resolution, starting from version 1.0 in 2002. However, as with many functions that HDMI enables (such as DVD-Audio and SACD), it is up to the manufacturer to choose whether to implement 1080p in the device. Some TV and device manufacturers have chosen not to implement 1080p in their products because 1080p content has not been widely available, and because changing the internal electronics of the device to support 1080p would increase cost."

http://www.hdmi.org/about/faq.asp#q6_3

because of the hdmi connector they used

It isn't the connector or the cable itself that determines whether it's 1.1 or 1.3 etc. It is the firmware inside the devices the HDMI cable is used with that determines the operating version that's going to be utilized.

When two devices are connected with HDMI---one with version 1.1 and the other with 1.3---the initial "handshake" or ID establishes that the most that either will do is 1.1.
­

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
john_s thanks for clarification.

but in your opinion concerning the sony tv is it firmware or hardware issue?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1289
­
Chico, I really can't answer that question. One of Sony's video engineers would know of course.

I would guess the answer to your question is "both." Would simply changing a couple of chips in the TV suddenly turn it into a genuine 1040p display? Maybe, but I think it is not that simple and that it is a hardware issue as well.

Bronze Member
Username: Idrivearocket

Post Number: 25
Some tv manufacturers (Sony included) do not seem to post the version of HDMI they have in their TV sets. Sharp clearly post their new 62U sets have 1.2a.

Since PS3 has HDMI ver 1.3, and the new Sony XBR 52" flat panel LCD costs $5000, it is of no surprise to me that Sony might not want to admit the TV has version 1.2 or less, and can't match the firmware of 1.3 inside the PS3. Ver 1.3 was only available since December and PS3 was first to have it. (this, along with shortage of blue laser diodes is rhumored to be the 2 reasons causing the PS3 delays)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us