Analogue tv signal future

Username: Rleescott

Post Number: 3
Hello:
Comcast has acquired twc in my area, but I don't think it affects this generic question. Once airwave signals become digital, around y2009, will my old cable ready tv's and VCR's still receive a usable analogue signal from the single coaxial cable that comes from the outside cable box into my home? In other words, will those people who exclusively use cable into cable ready analogue products know anything has changed when the air becomes exclusively digital?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1188
What is Comcast's answer to your question?

Post Number: 4
Once again, this is a generic question that likely is not specific to cable suppliers, but rather will be legislated. I would never take the word of a customer service rep on something this important, but,rather I hope a truly knowledgable person would be kind enough to reply with their thoughts, even though the situation may evolve as we approach the deadline. Do you, John, have any thoughts or preliminary info beyond responding to a question with a question?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1191
I would never take the word of a customer service rep on something this important

I would agree that most cable companies have wretched customer service reps who have no idea what they're talking about. I have personal experience with this myself. However, this government mandated conversion to digital in 2009 raises many unanswered questions and is just as new to members on this forum as it is to you. For now, the FCC is telling cable subscribers to contact their cable co. for answers to questions like yours:

If you are a cable or satellite subscriber,
contact your provider about whether you will
need a converter box for your analog TV.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.pdf

And this:

Cable subscribers may need new DTV equipment to view DTV programming in digital format. You should ask your cable provider what you will need and when.

Cable subscribers may buy a "Digital Cable Ready" (DCR) or "Plug-and-Play" television that plugs directly into the cable jack and does not require a separate set-top box. In order to receive scrambled programming and premium one-way services, cable subscribers with a DCR TV will need to obtain a CableCARD from their cable company.

Alternatively, cable subscribers may lease a separate set-top box from their cable provider or buy one at a retail outlet.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html

There's obviously a lot to be resolved in the next three years. I believe the gov't will not turn everybody's old analogue TVs into giant paper weights overnight. I also believe that cable companies are not going to downconvert the digital TV signals they receive to analogue for your convenience. You will probably have to rent or buy a converter box to attach to your TV for this purpose.

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 876
John~ Very good posting on this subject! Things like the tivo series 3 recorder, sony's pvr, panasonics pvr, cable card tv's are already available, and *thank god*, expect some really neat gadgets coming out early next year that are 2 way compatible *look up the samsung SMT-H3050 if you get the chance*
The FCC has already allocated funding for purchasing digital converters for all of those analog tv's, so when the deadline hits and the signal goes black, there are devices available for the public to adapt with.
You can read this link if you have questions:
http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#coupon

Post Number: 5
Hey cableguy and John:
Thanks for the input. Cableguy, I reviewed the link to the coupon site and found this statement:

"On February 18, 2009, full power television stations will stop analog broadcasting and transition to digital broadcasting. Households that do not subscribe to cable or satellite services will need either a television set capable of receiving DTV programming, or a digital-to-analog converter box."

Notice where they say that those who do not subscribe to cable will need a digital tv or converter. To me, this means an analogue signal will be provided on the coaxial cable in addition to the new digital signal. However, other fcc info says you may still need a converter and to contact the supplier. If there is no legislation to mandate both signals be provided, then all analogue tv's will, indeed become instant paperweights, even if you have cable. I have several tv's, each with its own analogue vcr, some tvs with 2 vcrs. It is not uncommon for me to tape 4 shows while watching a fifth. If an analogue signal will be on the coaxial cable, I will be fine untill all my equipment is gradually replaced. If not, then I need many dig/analogue converters to maintain my same setup. This then brings up another question. Will the converters have 1 input and 1 output, or 1 input and 2 or more outputs. If only 1 output, then I lose the ability to watch 1 program and tape another simultaneously, or I have at least 2 if not 3 converters at some locations. Don't suggest tivo, which requires a subscription and extra internet access with extra cost that I would not incur if only the cable carries both analogue and digital signals.

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 877
Most major cable operators are switching over to digital, and although while many like the one I work for offer both analog and digital, at some point in life...I'm sure they will be dropping analog all together, but don't have any specific dates on when they will be doing so. The market is leaning towards digital/HD, you factor in the average lifespan of a TV or VCR, you would expect that within 15 years max, most everybody would be up to speed with equipment in their homes and this issue would be no more.

You are, however, correct in noticing that the ruling only applies to OTA or broadcasting signals. This is a key point to use for educating the public in that any customer without access to cable tv, or satellite for their analog TV's, would need to have a digital converter in order to receive OTA locally broadcast stations.

Nice thread!

Post Number: 6
Thanks again for the reply.
Has your cable co specifically committed to downconverting the digital airwave signal come Y2009? Is it costly? Do you think it will be legislated for a transition period? Is this being discussed and info provided to cable co employees? Offering it after Y2009 is a different issue than offering both analogue and digital now, since analogue is already OTA, and digital is a new product which is not going to be obsolete as analogue will be.

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 878
Way beyond my knowledge base. Analog channels in our system are converted to digital already, if a customer has a cable box, they get all channels in HD or digital. If they don't have a cable box, they still get them in analog format. I really don't know of any plans for 2009 other than the FCC mandate for OTA broadcast.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1200
The other day I e-mailed my cable co. this question:

"When the government mandated analog to digital broadcast conversion takes place in 2009, will there be any analog channels on basic cable (no STB)? Will a converter box be absolutely necessary for an analog TV to receive digital channels?"

Their answer:

Thank you for contacting WOW! Internet and Cable.

Unfortunately, the mandate is 2 years from now, and WOW! does not have any information regarding the changes we will make. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you,

[D.L.] ID# WFQ
Tech Support
WOW! Internet, Cable, and Phone

Well maybe it is a bit early to get worked up about this issue. I don't believe that a smooth overlap between digital and analog will be legislated. We don't seem to be living in an age where the government has any great deal of interest in protecting the little guy. Once they get the extra bandwidth the transition to digital yields, the FCC and all the other bureaucrats are going to be content to let the cable/sat industry and market forces take care of the details. I'm not saying that basic cable subscribers are going to be out in the cold but, as I said earlier, they may be inconvenienced with an external box.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us