Computer to hdtv

having problems getting the computer screen to fit my 65" widescreen. any ideas?

Derek
Does your TV have provisions in its menu to move the screen around? Try that 1st.

Your should be able to size and possition the screen in the diplay properties of your computer.

If you have an nVidia or ATI card, There are many utilities for these cards as well (RivaTune, Radeonator, Rage3D).

If you have a different card, try Powerstrip. It can do almost anything.

Hope this helps.

This Mitsubishi 65511 has a vga input, tried that and it only gives me 640X480, so I ordered a vga to rgbhv cord and hooked it to my DTV input and that doesn't help. The icons are huge.
Gary

Derek
Yeah. Most VGA inputs are 640x480 or 800x600. If you keep the refresh down to to 60Hz, your Mitsubishi should go to 800x600. I have the ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 8500-DV and they sell a component adapter for $50 that will do 1080i. I have it and it does work.

What is the maximum component input resolution of your Mitsubishi? If it's higher than 800x600, RCA makes a VGA-component adapter (VHDC300) for $100 and Key Data sells the KD-VTCA2 for about twice that. See http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/interfaces/rgbtocomponenttranscoder.html.

Hope that helps.

ok,i'm looking for a power cord for a optimus stav 3350 digital a/v stereo receiver professional series.#on it are E44656,CAT#31-3030.went into optimus area that one is not liste and of course i'm half hip to the puter...so if you could help me out on locating this item or letting me know if i can i would appreciate it.thanks

Derek
You are definitly in the wrong thread. Optimus is Radio Shack. Call them.

Matthew Purvis
can i hook up my computer that has a s-video output to a 1080i tv and still get a clear picture?

Derek
No, it wont be clear enough. Audio Authority, Key Digital and RCA make VGA to Component adapters starting at around $100. If you have an ATI 8500 video card or above, they sell an adapter for $500. If your TV has DVI, most newer video cards can connect directly to it.

Also see http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/index.htm
or
http://www.digitalconnection.com/

Hope this helps.

Alyssa Vanderberg
Correction - the ATI adapter is only $30 plus $15 shipping. However, there are two varieties of this adapter.

The All-in-Wonder 8500 comes with both DVI-I and VGA interfaces. It uses part "HDTV AIW R8500 US", a DVI-I to component adapter.

The Radeon 8500 comes with a DVI-D interface and VGA interfaces. It uses part "HDTV R8500 US", a VGA to component adapter.

The DVI-I interface differs from the DVI-D in that it has four additional pins arranged like a '+' that handles analog output. If you attempt to force the DVI-I component adapter into a DVI-D port, it won't fit. If you try to force it by removing the extra pins, it still won't work.

You might be able to use the VGA model on non-ATI cards if you can get your video card to drive at the proper frequency... give me 2 to 4 weeks and I'll be able to tell you.

A few HD resolutions are:
1920x1080i 33.75KHz@30Hz/74.184MHz -/- SMPTE 274M
1280x720p 45.00KHz@60Hz/74.160MHz -/- SMPTE 296M
960x540p 33.75KHz@60Hz/37.293MHz +/+
720x483p 31.50KHz@60Hz/27.000MHz -/- ITU-R BT.601-4

* Refresh rates of 60/1 [60Hz] and 60/1.001 [59.94Hz] are valid.

Anonymous
The ATI site says they use overscanning for their HDTV component adaptor. I am wanting to be able to use MS-Word, etc... on my 53 inch HDTV Projection TV. Has anyone gotten such a configuration to work? Is it readable?

Anonymous
I have a 64" pioneer hdtv, it supports 480i/p 720p and 1080i, on my computer I have an ati 9700 pro, the ati HDTV R8500 US VGAtoComponent adapter works fine. it has toggles for almost every config, 480/720/1080, 16:9, ect... and they are adjustable independent, so I can have anything from a 4:3 480i upto a 16:9 1080i. I run most things at 720p in widescreen, a progresive display really helps make text look clean.

Anonymous
Thank you for the reply. My Projector (53") does not support 720, but does support 1080i. Will text be readable on it?

Thanks,
Dustin

GARY!
You've never mentioned what video card or TV your using. The ATI 9*** series work well with RPTV's, the Nvidia's are more troublesome.

Your video card may not support 1920X1080 AT 30 MHZ!

This is like your asking us to tell you how fast your car will go without telling us you make and model!

Derek
My ATI 8500-DV with the Purple adapter shows 1080i on my 4:3 Proscan. It is not the best way to use Word. 1080i is interlaced and on a white background like work it blinks like crazy. Since you can't use 720p, you may be forced to run at 480p. My television also accepts [800x]600p. That is crystal clear and looks just like a 53 inch computer monitor.

Hope this helps.

Hi guys,
I have the ATI All-In-Wonder 8500DV and I've been having hard time connecting it to my 50' Samsung HDTV widescreen DLP (HLM507W).
First I tried the VGA connection that didn't work much for higher resolution than 800x600.
Now, I bought the DVI Cable and connected to the TV DVI connection. Well, I still have problems, my main problem is that the everything on the screen looks like it's stretched sideway. I want to run 1280x720 but that's not available in the display settings. And, if I set it up as 1280x768, the whole desktop is a SCROLL like.
Any help,..
Can I get HD signal from the DVI without using the DVI to component adapter?
Do I need to install a monitor driver to get it to allow the 1280 by 720?p
Can I get rid of the scrolling desktop (this is like the desktop is extended beyond the screen and you have to move the mouse to get to some part of the desktop).

~Ferris

Derek
You need Powerstrip. You should also look into the www.AVSForum.com. They have the custom powerstrip settings you are going to need.

See http://www.entechtaiwan.net/ps.htm. It will also help you create a custom monitor driver.

Hope that helps.

Mitsubishi Computer Hook-up Problems

I have an NVDIA 4200 graphics card and a Mitsu HDTV which has component input, VGA (640 x 480) or so it says and fire wire inputs.

Presently I am running off of svideo, and obvisouly the picture leaves alot to be desired. I tried one of Purple ATI converters to component, and it didnt work.

I have a 25' vga cable on order. My question is will I be able to drive the mitsu at 720 x 483 P at 60 hz or am I going to be stuck at 640 x 480.

I am also wondering about the firewire input. Never seen anything that supplies firewire video out from a PC ideas?

rob
Mark: check Derek's earlier post about POWERSTRIP, that and your VGA cord is a good bet to get you something.

Does your HDTV support anything beyond 480Progressive?

Firewire is a two way protocol like USB, input and output. On a PC I think there are PVR programs you can get.

rob
P.S. ATI component adapters are for select ATI cards only. I would be VERY suprising if it worked on anything Nvidia!

Derek
I have a G-force 4 4200 and an ATI AIW 8500-DV and I can tell you the purple adaptor only works on certain ATI cards (about 6). See ATIs web site at www.ati.com.

Some Mitsubishis can do 800x600. Powerstrip should be able to provide a custom resolution to perfectly fit a DVD on your screen. The AVSforum.com has custom resolutions for your mitsu.

I have a Philips 30IN Digital Prepared Wide SCREEN/MONITOR 30PW9815, hooked up to my pc with a GeForce FX5200 video card through S-Video and the display is well ugly and tough to read, any suggestions on what I can do to make it clear should I consider a ATI card and the converter any help would be appreciated.

Derek
Prox, you must go component, DVI or VGA.

matt
I have a philips 30PW8520 similar to the widescreen mentioned above by Prox, and this tv has a RGB input. Can this input be use to hook up a computer? I have a ATI card with VGA, DVI, and S-video outputs. What do i need to do to connect my computer to this tv? Also how do i change my computer display to widescreen?

Derek
You need a VGA to BNC break-out cable. The computer card produces RGB natively. You MAY need Powerstrip if the ATI doesn't have a resolution that matches your monitor.

Lucas Pine
Is this true that I can plug into my Hitachi HDTV DVI Port directly from the DVI out on the video card I just got for my computer? It's a Mad Dog 440 AGP with DVI output. I don't need a special converter?

Derek
It should work.

I just purchased an Advent 27" HDTV with component inputs. My media center pc (from HP)has Svideo and RGB outs (Nvidia GeForce FX 5200). I bought a cable that converts RGB to component, but I cannot get the screen to sync. Any ideas where to go form here?

Derek
Are you sure the cable converts RGB to component or does it just do VGA to RGB? Here's a hint - any conversion will require power. Does this addapter have a power supply.

Also, most converters leave the signal progressive. Does the Advent support Progressive input or is it simply an interlaced component input.

Try lower resolutions before you switch the cables to your TV - 640x480 and 800x600. Most TVs wont sync to anything higher.

If none of these work, there's always S-Video.

Hope that helps.

Username: Foyboy1983

Post Number: 1
Derek, The TV does support Progressive. I purchased a covertor (with power) and now I can get the signal, but it still has some sync issues, so I dowloaded PowerStrip, but I have no idea how to set the settings. ANy hints?

donnie
Unregistered guest
HELP PLEASE I have a jvc 48" i art pro widescreen with dvi-d connector. I also have a Radeon 8500 with dvi d when i hook it up to the tv and use power strip i cannot get over 640 x 480 resolution. i do not have screen controls on my tv and when i customize the settings for new drivers in powerstrip i get multiple problems with screen blur IF any body has any suggestions let me know thanks

Adam ATI CARD USER
Unregistered guest
I have an ATI 9800 Pro, the ATI DVI-I to component video adapter, and a BenQ HDTV projector capable of displaying up to 1080i. When I display computer images over the projector about 20% of the image is cut off of top,bottom,left and right. I played with many setting on the computer as well as resolution switches on the adapter itself and always end up with the same amount of missing image. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks

Adam

Unregistered guest
1) can a computer connect to a dvi-d hdtv connection and work properly?

2) 720p would be the best source but I think the Toshiba 30HF83 does 1080i to 720p conversion. Will this look good coming from a computer?

THanks

Sammy Sosa
Unregistered guest
going from a pc to an hdtv is a waste of time, all of you are having problems. ati and nvidia don't include hdtv tuners, nor do they allow for 1080p, they are screwing us.

RobW
Unregistered guest
Other companies sell HDTV tuner cards, it's new, they'll get to it. VERY FEW HDTV's support 1080p, nor is it broadcast, so what's the point?

Alot of info on HDTV from computer here:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=94
Sorry I don't have the link to the post about Powerstrip settings, you'll have to search for it.

Glenn J
Unregistered guest
I have a dell laptop with port replicator (for monitor output) and was hoping to hook up the computer to my 51" Hitachi HDTV (it has component, s-video, and DVI-D inputs). I just received a cable that was unfortunately a VGA to DVI-A cable and I broke off the additional pins to jam it into the DVI port. The computer recognized that it was hooked up to a Hitachi television, however, nothing displayed on the TV screen. Any suggestions? I am basically looking for a way to use the hdtv as a monitor (and get good resolution [tv support 480p/i, 720p, and 1080i]) with the limitation of having no PCI slots to install a new video card. PLEASE HELP!!

Rob W
Unregistered guest
Glenn J: I think you need a new cable to start. Try these guys and tell them what your trying to do and exactly what ports you have.
http://www.pacificcable.com/

BMS
Unregistered guest
Can I use the ATI DVI to Component adapter on my gateway 901X with ATI 9800 pro 128 card to connect to my HDTV which does not haave a dvi in. I know you can with the all in wonder but I don'y know about the 9800 PRO ????

Unregistered guest
I have a Radeon 9700 pro that I'm trying to hook up to my Pioneer SD-643HD5 64" HDTV via the VGA to Component video adapter built by ATI. It sounds like basically the same setup that "anonymous" has above, but I'm not able to get the output to work correctly. All I'm getting from my HDTV is a large blue picture set at about a 45 degree angle definetly not legible. Any tips??

Anonymous

Like many others I am suffering the pain of trying to hook up my htpc to my RPTV. I have an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro card with DVI, VGA and SVideo out puts. My TV is 65" Pioneer elite RPTV which has several component inputs and one VGA input that can only accept 1920x1080 @ 60Hz (designed for 1080i)

I read all the stuff about powerstrip and also have the ATI adapter for VGA to component but am disappointed overall.

Basically the only resolutions that work are 640x480 and 800x600. Both give me a clean full desktop on my 16:9 screen using SVideo. I can play DVDs, and use XP media center to watch live TV etc. But its not useful for browsing or text. Its readable but hard on the eyes.

The ATI adapter / powerstrip were basically a waste for the most part. I can get a 1080i signal (1920x1080 @60HZ) but there is a lot of flickering and output overscans nearly 10% contrary to what ATI claims. I can't get the start menu. Tried powerstrip too with many of the custom settings posted by avsforum.com. basically all end up unusable, either virtual desktops or unstable signal. What a waste for most consumers.

Basically you should take your laptop or other PC and walk down to the nearest store and hook it by DVI or VGA to the plasma or LCD you wnt to buy. Then check its live resolution performnce :-)

And forget about struggling on to get a perfect clear PC UI on your projection TV given the current state of affairs.

Bottomline hardly any of this 'really works" ina consumer satisfiable way where you can do a nice desktop, clear text and get to see DVD and TV.

Dubii
Unregistered guest
once you see a DVD scaled up to 1080i by a PC being displayed on a 65" widescreen TV, you'll realize it's worth the hassle.

Anonymous

Advent is true 1080i not converted ... and it is true full scale progressive scan . They have the 4- line comb filters ... not 3 as some . Dynamic mask and super velocity modulation. Run one on an ATI 9800 video card and do winxp ... on your tv!! I do and it's fabulous ! 1080 horizontal lines and 1920 pixels .... and they are steel armor dependable. It blows my Samsung hdtv away ...

Anonymous

Okay... Mits 65711... ATI 9700 AIW PRO... I have played DVDs on the Mits in 1080i Looks great. I want to have the Mits as a "clone" instead of a primary, And keep my Viewsonic as the main. Any thoughts?

RobW
Unregistered guest
I think you can use ATI's Hydravision program to set up cloned screens.

GJ
Unregistered guest
I have a laptop that I want to hook up to my hdtv (has component and dvi inputs) and play dvd's in 1080i along with be able to browse the web in 1080i.
Any suggestions of the hardware I need to purchase to make this work seemlessly?

GJ
Unregistered guest
Also...
If I get my laptop to display in 1080i on my hdtv using a signal convertor (for VGA to DVI/Component and PowerStrip), how much better will dvd's look than my current setup which uses a Progressive Scan player and component video connection?

RobW
Unregistered guest
GJ,
DVD's should look significantly better (1080 lines vs. 530 from most DVDplayers) BUT it is influenced by the program you use to watch DVD's, some are better upscaling than others I hear.
As far as seemless, I'm certainly not there yet. So far it's a pain in the butt. Check out www.AVSforums.com, i'm finding some tricks for my 60"Sony there.

RobW
Unregistered guest
For anyone needing a quick "fix"
I've heard the S-video from ATI cards looks pretty darned good at 800x600.
(but I know you all want 1920x1080!)

Bronze Member
Username: Jags

Raleigh, Nc Us

Post Number: 15
Just to let you know hooking your computer up to a 65 inch big screen is a very bad idea if you don't get image burn within the first month i would be very suprised it happens all the time. but good luck if you try it.

GJ
Unregistered guest
I found a good cheap fix for those sharing my problem. I have a laptop (standard dell--no fancy video card add ons or anything). I wanted to hook it up to my 51' rp hdtv with good enough resolution to browse the web from the couch. For $94.99 at radio shack, get the xp pro pc-tv convertor. http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=25-3085
It has a vga input and s-video, component video, rgb, and composite video output. All the signal conversion is hardware based and it comes with the vga cable, component video cable and draws is power through the usb or keyboard port.
Takes like 4 seconds to set up and definitely gets the job done. All I need now is a new wireless keyboard (my last one didn't survive college in working condition!)

SQUEB
Unregistered guest
I have a GeForce FX 5200 card and a 50" Sony LCD KF-50WE610. I get the S-video output to work well enough to play movies and browse the web if you don't mind blurry words. I bought a 50' VGA to Component cable from Cablewholesale.com ( http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/10h1-50150.htm). With this cable, I get blurry and flickering signals on my TV. Can anyone help me get HDTV signal from my computer to my LCD TV? The DVI input is an EIA-816 standard, and not intended for use with personal computers (as stated in the manual).

RobW
Unregistered guest
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=362324

Everything you've need to learn to get a nice signal to a Sony RPLCD

RobertoBaggio
Unregistered guest
I have an ATI 9000 Pro video card with vga, tv-out and dvi-i out. I want to hook up my video card directly to my Hitachi 51S500 HDTV via a DVI cable, but my tv's DVI input is DVI-D format. Does anyone know if there is an adapter for DVI-I to DVI-D and if this will even work? And if I will get good resolution and picture quality? Thanks.

Username: P01nt

Chesterfield, Missouri United States

I have some general questions regarding computer input, specifically to a rear-projection HDTV (of any size).
Let me preface this by saying that I work at a large credit card company that employs computer input to 100" rear projection screens with a 4:3 ratio, and computer input to 16:9 plasma (and I think) LCD large screen monitors.
Admittedly I am not an expert in video, but I'm a new consumer with an interest in purchasing a rear projection HDTV WITH the ability to input my computer to this. I have seen images burned into some screens because of redundant displays, however I don't believe that is a concern for me since my display is dynamic most of the time and shut off when I'm not using it.

I'm looking at buying a 55" to 60" screen HDTV, rear projection monitor. I see that some of these come with SVGA inputs. I would like to know concerns and comments from those of you who have attempted computer input to a HDTV. What do I need? What do I need to look out for? Is this a good solution? I know that Windows 2000 and Windows XP will adjust to the 16:9 format, and I've seen it work really well on plasmas. I'm looking for pratfalls here....stuff I'm not thinking of. Rest assured whoever I buy this from will be hooking up a computer to it and running some programs before I buy. Let me know guys....I'm looking for you're expert input here.

Username: Boulagr

GJ I tried the xp pro didn't have the luck you are having. the picture was overscan and very fuzzy, could not read the text at all. Can you give me a idea on how I can get the XP pro to work correctly. My video card came with the PC nothing special, my hdtv is a 54" projection tv made by Akai. Thanks

GJ
Unregistered guest
gary-
The text will not be as crisp as a computer monitor as the xp pro is not an analog to digital convertor--as I said it's a cheap fix and definitely good for those who are using a laptop where it's not that simple to replace the video card. If I have the computer on full screen, I can read the text. Make sure you are doing the following:
1) using the component video connection
2) play with the 'fine tuning'---on the remote, hit menu until 'fine tuning' appears...then hit up and down until you find a level you are satisfied with.
All in all though, if you have a desktop that you're using for this purpose, instead of spending $100 some odd on the xp pro, you should probably invest another $75 or so and get a true digital video card with a DVI out--that's get you really crisp text.

Anonymous

ask the experts, can anyone guide me with some assistence. Looking for a good scan converter, one that will allow me to view text, surf the web, while not loosing so much clarity has I have found with some of the one's I've tried. My HDTV has component inputs. Does the video card play a roll when trying to scan from VGR to HDTV? Powerstrip would this be the way to go using a unformatted scan converter. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Unregistered guest
Hi all, I've been trolling for info here, and y'all seem to know alot, so here's my situation:

I'm using a 20" CRT monitor and a GF4200 on my computer for both games and text, but I want something bigger than 22" yet still with good resolution. There seem to be nice 30" CRT-based HDTVs with 16:9 format, which would be perfect for my desk (I've got a big desk!)

Is it possible to buy any CRT-based HDTV (I can't afford plasma, and don't like projection or LCD) that would, with the new video cards with DVI, support good enough displays for gaming AND text (like the equivilent of 1024X768 on my current set-up)? Or is this impossible with current tech?

Thanks for any input!

Shaun091382
Unregistered guest
Hi anyone have information about connecting a computer with ATI Radeon 9000Pro with DVI out to a 40" RCA D40W20 projection tv with DVI input? also is connecting a computer to a projection a good idea burn in problems? suggestions thanks

Anonymous

I have a ATI All-in-Wonder 8500 (DVI-I) and a Toshiba 57HX83 HDTV (DVI-D). Everyone here suggests buying the ATI converter to connect to the TV using component cables. Why wouldn't it be better use the DVI connection? It seems that there would be less conversion that way (digital to digital).
Also, my toshiba manual says the DVI connector should not be connected to a computer. Why not? I don't understand.

--Quizboy

Stix66
Unregistered guest
Quizboy,

Are you using DVI to DVI now, and if so, how is the image quality for different computer apps (DVDs, text, web, games)?

I'd be really interested in knowing whether you can get high-res computer games to work on that HDTV

muriel sartre
Unregistered guest
I want to use my Sony 32XBR400 HDTV as my PC monitor, and currently run it through a Pioneer VSX-D711 A/V receiver. My progressive scan DVD player and set top HD cable box also go through this receiver. Will I be able to run a VGA/HDTV transcoder through the receiver or must I connect it directly to my TV? I have one port for component video left on the receiver's back panel.

Username: Shadow

Hello,

I have a quick question - and YES, I've read most of the above posts, but I'll ask anyway, since my equipment is slightly different. I have a GeForce FX 5200 graphics card for my PC that has an S-Video out, in my office. I am trying to connect this to my television, which is a old Samsung with only a set of RCA inputs, located 25 feet away. I've checked online, and seen adaptors which convert S-Video to RCA video (yellow), for about $14.00 or so, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00007KJUK

What I would LIKE to do is just use the video card from the PC to connect to my TV and watch videos (DiVX or XVid formats) - the desktop text, icons, etc, I could care less about, since I won't be using it to browse the net or any other purpose - this is only for video watching from my couch instead of having to sit in front of the PC.

I was going to buy an S-video to RCA adapter (like above), a minijack to RCA stereo adapter (to connect via the soundcard minijack output on the PC to the receiver) and then a 25 foot RCA cable to connect stereo to my receiver (which does NOT do S-Video input - only RCA, by the way). In essence, I'd take both, video and audio from the PC to the TV and Receiver, respectively.

What I want to know, before I go out and blow $40 or so for this gear, is: will this type of connection be good enough to watch videos, or will I be sorely dissapointed here? I'm NOT expecting DVD-quality video (not even close), but perhaps comparable to a VHS cassette. What I DON'T want is ridiculously grainy video and blurry picture (like when you're watching a DVD with scratches and smudges on it and the screen scrambles) - just something that's somewhat clear.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks!

Unregistered guest
I haven't figured out this PC -> HDTV game either. But I did realize something I thought I would share.

A computer's video output, no matter what connection you have, is going to be ANALOG (yes, DVI, VGA, SVIDEO: all analog from a computer). That means that your television also has to have an ANALOG DVI connection. Most HDTV's I have seen have the DVI-DIGITAL connections.

If you want to use DVI, this is a problem. If you're using S-Video or composite video, you will have no problem at all. It just isn't as clear as you want.

There are actually 3 different types of DVI connections. DVI-ANALOG, DVI-DIGITAL, and DVI-I(i forget wha the I stands for). Anyway,
DVI-A is the connections that comes out of your computer; DVI-D will be used from a DVD or HDTV box into an HDTV; and DVI-I will accept either connection.

I don't see any end to this at all... I'm going to stick with my 12' S-Video cable and say the hell with it. No matter what I do, the connection is going to be just as analog as my S-Video cable. I say just use a real computer display when you want to surf the web and stuff, and reserve your giant tv for gaming and movies, where the quality is not AS important. Hope I helped. If not, someone tell me how to end this catastrophe for under $50 US!

Unregistered guest
A. Patel, you won't have any problem using an S-Video -> RCA connection. I ran my computer like that on an old tv for a long time. videos look great, but not text - but that's not important. RCA looked really good for me, and given, that was when all I had was an old Commodore 64 monitor. Go ahead and blow that $40.

Unregistered guest
My PC is an MSI Hermes 845GV. The video uses the Intel 845G chipset. It has VGA, S-video & DVI outputs. I'd like to hook it to my Hitachi HDTV via component input (has no DVI), as the s-video connection stinks.
Am I correct in assuming that the ATI DVI to Component adapter will not work with my system?
The machine is a mini format, and has no capability of adding a different video card.
Suggestions?
Thanks!

Unregistered guest
Anyone had any experience with the GHV-1000 from Grandtec?
http://www.grandtec.com/hivision.htm
Looks like it might fit the bill...

Unregistered guest
colorado Al, that's the same kind of device that Radioshack offers, called the XP Pro something-or-other. refer to this post by GJ about the radioshack model. It looks like it might be identical.

Justin9800
Unregistered guest
Ok heres my slightly different problem on the same theme... I have an all-in-wonder 9800 pro running 1080i to my hitachi projection.... I set the card to Time Sync which seams to me that It keeps my tv in 1080i no matter what resalution I am using. so that it does not jump out/ So heres the Deal I want to play games but if I run them at 1024x768 they apear in a small square and If I run them any higher the text becomes illegible has anyone found away to "ZOOM" in on the screen? without changeing the resoltion

BuffaloBill
Unregistered guest
All-in-Wonder 128 PCI card (Rage 128GL).... is it possible to get this card to do 1280x768 resolution (to drive a Dell W2300 LCD TV)? Either through the card's VGA or component outputs is fine.

The video adapter does not do 1280x768 natively. Is this something that Powerstrip can force it to do?

Anonymous

1)colorado al, i believe you are right about the ghv-1000. It is made for hdtv monitors, while the radio shack xp-pro is for standard tv's.
2)i'm confused about the above thread on pc's outputting analog. I thought they outputted digital using a dvi and analog using vga?

Ephram
Unregistered guest
The information inside a computer is indeed in digital form. The following excerpt is from How Things Work.com. "Because VGA technology requires that the signal be converted from digital to analog for transmission to the monitor, a certain amount of degradation occurs. DVI keeps data in digital form from the computer to the monitor, virtually eliminating signal loss.
The DVI specification is based on Silicon Image's Transition Minimized Differential Signaling (TMDS) and provides a high-speed digital interface. TMDS takes the signal from the graphics adapter, determines the resolution and refresh rate that the monitor is using and spreads the signal out over the available bandwidth to optimize the data transfer from computer to monitor. DVI is technology-independent. Essentially, this means that DVI is going to perform properly with any display and graphics card that is DVI compliant. If you buy a DVI monitor, make sure that you have a video adapter card that can connect to it." This is why a dvi enabled device is desired. An hdtv must be optimized for both tv and computer signals such as the Samsung 40" LTN406W.

Dustin R
Unregistered guest
I've been reading a lot of BS in these about DVI. There is no such thing as DVI-A. DVI-D is strictly digital and does not support analog. DVI-I has a group of pins that shaped in a +. Those transmit analog signals (it's actually 5 pins, not 4). So DVI-I transmits analog and digital. Someone was saying that DVI is acutally analog and that is BS. It is digital, there is no analog conversion. DVI's on tv's look the same as on computers, but they are not. You can connect them, but you can very easily burn your tv. There are very few tv's with DVI inputs that are designed for computers (the only ones that I have noticed are the Samsung DLP tv's). Those are the facts ladies weather you like them or not.

d

Unregistered guest
I have an ATI 9800 pro and a toshiba 51H83 widescreen 51 inch tv. When i hook up the DVI my screen scrolls slowly upwards and all of the screen does not fit in. Any ideas as to why the scrolling takes place and what i can do in powerstrip to fix this problem?

Unregistered guest
what i mean by scroll is that the whole desktop slowly moves up at a continuous rate...like the credits at the end of the movie. As it scrolls up the part that moves off the screen comes back at the bottom and the cycle keeps going. Any ideas?

Unregistered guest
DVI stands for DIGITAL video interface. The output froma card usung DVI is DIGITAL. The DVI-D and DVI-I are two different standards for transmitting the signal to either an Analog or Digital monitor.

davetech
Unregistered guest
how does one shrink the output using powerstrip to fit a wide screen tv? I get the edges chopped off. SOmeone said powerstrip can fix this, but I haven't seen how, and there's no documentation with it.

Anonymous

I stumbled across this thread as I, too, have been trying to hook up my computer to my hdtv. I just spoke to a representative at www.grandtek.com, the company mentioned above. The currently available converter for VGA to HDTV works ONLY at 640x480 resolution, or some other multiple of that, requiring the use of third party software like Powerstrip. HOWEVER, he told me that they will begin selling a converter that handles the more commonly used resolutions (1024x768 and greater) later this week. He advised me to check the website over the next few days for updates. I'm hoping that this might be a reasonably simple solution...

Anonymous

Sorry for the incorrect website name. It should be www.grandtec.com.

Unregistered guest
I am trying to hook up my laptop to a RCA
HDLP50W151. USing the S-Video out on my laptop makes the picture look horrible! The HDTV doesn't have a VGA imput. Dual Comp video, DVI, S-video, Composite. I was told that the good old VHDC300 should work. But it doesn't. I am trying to use powerpoint for presentations at work. It is a dell latitude laptop. Not too sure about anything else. Any info will help

tulsaman
Unregistered guest
I am thinking of using my PC as a multimedia center and need to know what my options are for displays. I'm wanting to use a RPTV, but from what I'm reading here, there might be problems with reading text while surfing or writing. My video card is an ATI All-in-Wonder 9600 Pro. The processor is a Pentium 4 2.6C HT, and I'm running with 1 GB RAM. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jason

Unregistered guest
Hi, I currently have a SAMSUNG HDTV 22' with a DVI interface and want to use it as a second monitor for my workstation with dual setup.(got a good price for it) The resolution it state to set my primary LCD is 1280 x 720. My master LCD do not have this mode, can anyone recommend a LCD monitor that have this GTF mode of 1280 x 720. I'm trying to keep from having to return the HDTV and find a LCD monitor flat screen that I can purchase with a display mode of 1280 x 720 to allow it to be the master. Any suggestions? Help

Thanks

Thanks

M Garcia
Unregistered guest
like others here, im trying to setup my hdtv to work as a computer monitor. i have an advent 27" 1080i hdtv. using a radeon card, can i just use the ati dvi-to-component adapter without much tweaking? is it possible to get 1920x1080 resolution using a VGA to Component Transcoder? is this, in general, equivilent to using a DVI to Component adapter?

Username: Yoandme

Post Number: 2
I'm trying to setup my hdtv which has an rs232 input as a wireless pc monitor. Is this a good idea or is there a better way to go wireless pc to tv monitor?

Unregistered guest
HI, I have a sony 43" 4:3 hd ready tv, and an older 64 mb nvidia video card. I am currently using the audio authority pc to hdtv converter. The problem that i am having is that i can only do 640x480. It works pretty well but i have some overscan. I have tried to use other resolutions with powerstrip with no luck

Any ideas would be very helpfull

Unregistered guest
Hi, I have a Radeon 9700 pro card and want to connect it via DVI to my projector Panasonic PTAE-500E. The problem is that 1280x720 which is the resolution of my projector is not supported by my video-card. I have tried PowerStrip but can't get it to work, or i got it to work but then I have to boot with the regular TV as default screen and could not use my PC monitor... Anyone that can help me?

robW
Unregistered guest
Jocke,
Do you have the latest ATI drivers installed? Also do you have a driver installed for your projector?
If yes to both:
Open "Display Properties", goto the "Settings" tab, Click "Advanced", click on the "Monitor" tab, and UNSELECT the box that says "hide modes this monitor cannot display"

Unregistered guest
I am having trouble connecting my gateway laptop to my rca 52" hdtv. My laptop has a vga output and my hdtv has two set of component inputs (Y,Pb,and Pr); three sets of rca inputs; an s-video input; and a dvi input. Which input should I try to use and with what connector cable or converter? Any suggestions?

Username: Jusschillin

Whittier, Ca Usa

I need help. I don't know whether to buy a panasonic pt-50lc13 or a sony kf-50we610. The pana one has a hdmi input, while the sony has a dvi input. I have an alienware area 51 and I need to know how i can use the tv as a monitor. Which tv should I get and how would I go about using it as a monitor?

El Charlito
Unregistered guest
I'm using a 65 inch Mitsubishi HDTV and I have an ATI 9600XT with a DVI cable going from the computer straight to the TV. What driver/configuration do I need to use to get a crisp picture that fills the entire screen (without going over)?

El Charlito
Unregistered guest
I'm using a 65 inch Mitsubishi HDTV and I have an ATI 9600XT with a DVI cable going from the computer straight to the TV. What driver/configuration do I need to use to get a crisp picture that fills the entire screen (without going over)?
by the way, just found some good stuff here:
http://www.satellitetvissue.com/Satellite%20TV-Free%20Satellite%20TV.htm

alex_paul
Unregistered guest
I am having trouble connecting my gateway laptop to my new rca 52" hdtv.
My laptop has a vga output and my hdtv has two set of component inputs (Y,Pb,and Pr); three sets of rca inputs; an s-video input; and a dvi input. Which input should I try to use and with what connector cable or converter? Any suggestions?
el,ur link is broken, try this:
www.satellitetvissue.com/freesatellite.htm

Username: The_newb

You guys seem to be up on the game of how shi# works so i ask for help from the all knowing please. i have a 50 inch samsung dlp projector and i want 1080i with my dvi cable but for some reason it is limted to 720p witch looks grest don't get me wrong text is readable and movies dvds look great. I just want 1080i and can get it with vga cord but it does not auto ajust like dvi and if you compare 720p on dvi and vga the dvi cord domantes but 1080i can still keep up with the 720p on dvi so how great would 1080i be. Owe yes when i force the 1080i on the dvi cable it just blows up the 720p and i can check the signal on my tv it does not upgrade. I have a geforce 5600 and would thank any one for help ive been at this for a long time and i even called samsung for a driver they did'nt know what it could be because i could get 1080i on the vga cord no prob. thank you to anyone how responds.

Unregistered guest
Is anyone able to surf the web via computer to RCA Scenium HDTV monitor with good resolution results? How likely is it that the screen will be burned when connected to a computer?

Username: Dragonman777

Sudbury, ON Canada

Hello all,

I have just purchased a D52W19 RCA 52" HDTV Compatible Monitor. I already had a MSI FX5200-TD128 with DVI-I output. I purchased a cable ($70.00) to connect the computer to the TV hoping to watch all of the stuff I have on the computer on the 52 inch TV. The problem is the picture is not all it could be. I have ghosting from text and the video does not fit on the screen properly and I cannot access all of the buttons like (Start). Is there something that I am missing? I am using the latest drivers from Nvidia 61.77_win2kxp and Windows XP Media Centre. Please help the wife is going to kill me soon for buying the TV and not being able to do this which is what we wanted to do. I am also not able to do much adjusting as this makes the screen completely unusable. Gotta fix this and I know someone else must have run into this already.

DJ
Unregistered guest
i have a mitz 55615 with firewire can i hook up my laptop through the firewire port?

ganbare
Unregistered guest
newb, you should be very happy with 720p as text is actually readable, 1080i's text is way too small and is only meant for watching movies. My tv only supports 480p so I envy you :P

LZ5 BOBA FETT
Unregistered guest
Hi, i have a phillips 60PP9363H widescreen, and im running xp pro on a 5600 Ultra Nvidia setup. i can get great picture on the 1280x720 setup, but i lose about an 1/8 of the screen all the way around. ive read all the posts here, and havent tried any of the programs yet, as i was wondering if maybe i dont have something set up right. Ive tried 720x480 also with same issue. any help would be appreciated!!!!

Just Me
Unregistered guest
I have the RCA Scenium running with an ATI 9000 card and DVI-D connection. Suberb quality, no burn-up. It took a little bit of tweaking with Powerstrip but I have it running at its max for DVI input: 540p. My actual screen resolution is custom 944x531 which has barely any overscan at all. Can watch DVDs, browse the web, etc. Very nice result, actually. See Entech's powerstrip forum for more details about my timing settings. You should be able to find it with a search for DLP, RCA Scenium timings.

myName
Unregistered guest
ok... so i have a GeForce FX 5950 ultra agp card with dvi, vga, and svideo and composite outputs.. i want to hook it up to my zenith 32" hdtv monitor through the dvi input... i have and it has picture but it is cut off about 10% around all edges if i have it on some 16:9 resolution, i can put it on a 4:3 or 5:4 res and it won't be cut off on the sides but there will be black bars there because i have it on "fixed aspect ration scaling" ... when it works (its not consistent when i change it from that to something then back again, sometimes it doesn't look the same) it doesn't look very clear at all and it blinks... like the refresh rate is below 30fps or something, that's only for windows and icons etc. as opposed to the desktop wall paper.

all i want to be able to browse and play games and videos but i can't do that if the screen is cut off, its fuzzy and it blinks (hard on eyes)... any help at all would be awesome

Cy

DingB
Unregistered guest
I have a 65 inch Hitachi rear projection t.v. with DVI in input. I have a dell with a FX 5200 card with DVI out --- you would think that getting the right cable would make them work -- but it doesnt. I cannot get any other resolutions besides 640x480 and 800x600 to work. I tried 1280x720 and the picture was bigger than the screen and scrolled. Any help is appreciated.

Anonymous

I am afraid that Dustin R is misinformed. DVI A is indeed an analog DVI output and part of the DVI standard (the A stands for Analog). Maufacturers have abandoned it, but it exists. It is the reason that DVI I exists, for backward compatibility with earlier DVI A LCD monitors (the I stands for Integrated). Otherwise, there is no need for DVI I, since DVI D exists (the D stands for Digital).

Username: Dragonman777

Sudbury, ON Canada

Well after my last post I did alot of research and found a way to get everything working the way that I wanted. I returned the RCA 52 inch tv and bought a Panasonic PT-50LC13. WOW WHAT A TV. It has DVI, RGB, Component, SVideo and coax inputs and my computer looks awesome on it. I can surf with readable text watch all my video content and am super happy. If you are tired of fighting to get yer computer working on a HDTV then this is the way to go.

Unregistered guest
I have a 53" toshiba projection tv( i know your not supposed to use projection) and its hooked up through a dvi to hdmi and is set at 1080i. I can't get my desktop to align with the boundaries of the tv. I'm running a Geforce 6800GT. If it would be easier to use i would put my ATI 9600xt back in. Any solutions you could think of?

Unregistered guest
I am trying to get a picture signal to my Panasonic L500U projector from my PC. I am running an ATI 9000 PRO with DVI out to the DVI in on the projector. I am using DVI-D cable. The projector works fine with the S-video input, but I can't get any picture from the PC through the DVI cable. I have the most current upgrade from the ATI site and have played around with all the settings. I'm surly just doing something wrong.
Any ideas?

Unregistered guest
Upon playing with the set-up a bit more, I finally am getting picture to the projector. Now I have two more questions...
First, is there a set-up with the ATI 9000 that will allow me to have the same picture on both screens? As it stands now if I want to watch a DVD, I have to make the projector my primary monitor.
Secondly, I am getting periodic "green" outs on the projector. The movie will be playing fine, then all of a sudden everything turns to shades of green.

Thanks in advance.

Unregistered guest
Do I need a adapter for hooking up my computer to the TV? i have 1 of the very new vidios cards and just hoping i wont have to pay much :-)

Username: Bdutton

I have a similar problem to those posted prior...

My equipment:

New Mitsubishi 55 inch RP HDTV
Compaq Presario AMD 3400
120GB HD
512MB mem
Windows Xp Home
ATI All in wonder 9800 pro
Using a component video out to HDTV component input.

When I first installed the card and connected to my tv I got 640/480 but the edges ot the desktop were hidden. Also I had the choice to select a better resolution in the display properties including 1080i but I usually ended up with either a screen display that had the same basic resolutionas 640/480 but with a 'virtual' desktop or with 1080i I had a miniature screen in the center of my tv with huge black borders around.

I tried downloading the latest ati catalyst drivers but now the catalyst control panel software does not allow anything but 640/480 or less. Of coarse, the system is much more stable now.

So now I have a windows display at less than 640/480 on a very expensive tv and pc setup I intended to run as a multimedia pc that I do not WANT to use.

Any chance I can get better resolution?

rblk26
Unregistered guest
I too what to hook up my pc to hdtv and see everything in 1080i, but it is a lot of trouble. So right now I am typing this post reclined on my couch onto my 55 inch mitsubishi.
I am using a nvidia G-Force FX 5700LE it has options to hook up through Dvi/Vga/s-video and has dual display. It is a 256mb ddr AGP card. I'm using the s-video from pc to s-video to hdtv, and the picture is just as good as a regular monitor. But since this is 55 inches it's great. Everything from watching media to websearching to word is great, not High def but still pretty good. My screen resolution is 720x480 it can go to 1024x768 but thats to small. I tried the dvi to dvi which was 480p and that was a better picture but the settings menu on the graphic card would not let me adjust the screen position. If someone has an idea on how to improve on my set-up please post or wants to know more about it post as well. If my t.v supported 720p I might have better luck, but really cant complain from what I'm looking at.

computersmakemenuts
Unregistered guest
I only have one simple question. Is dvi(comp) to dvi(tv) going to harm the tv more than if a vga to component is used. becuase i read in my mitsu's owners manual to not hook up a pc to the dvi input. also what is the quality seperation from using component as opposed to dvi? both can produce 1080 and 720.

xxxxxshogunxxxxx
Unregistered guest
I have the top of the line Mitsubishi 65" HDTV and a 9500 128 ATI card. I connected the the DVI and s-video on another component so basically I have 2 monitors only draw back is that I have to constantly switch input. It is confirmed that in the monolink/DVI connection you cant go more than 800 x 600 or your screen will be fuzzy and shaky. However, the s-video hook up turned to be working and you can change your resolution in it. Only problem is that its not 1080i and the quality is not as good as the DVI output. My system setup is powerful but this issues makes my computer hella obsolete. I've compared 2 dvd movies on each output and the DVI is the best but the ICONS are tooooo big and i seem cant to work on adjusting the video settings. I was tweakin with this for hours until 3 AM and I gave up.

In conclusion, its a hassle, your screen burns, and your fingers will hurt for switching inputs.

xxxxshogunxxxxx:

Download powerstrip (do a google search on it) and go to : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=702720bc6cc7b56e4d46235aa2c5b924 &threadid=206854&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

This will explain everything.

Anonymous

I have a Zenith HDTV with a D-sub 15 pins RGB connecotr in the rear panel. The TV allows the setting of 480P/1080i. I was wondering if I can hook up my Dell Laptop computer directly to the HDTV. Can I use the VGA cable to connect the computer's VGA output (15 pin D-sub) to the RGB input connector of the HDTV?

Post Number: 3
Anon:

Thats what it's there for. My Mits only supports 480 from the RGB. You may need to get powerstrip to fool your adapter in order to get higher resolutions. Check your owners manual to determine the actual supported resolutions for RGB.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us