Best DVD Player for regular DVD's on Olevia LCD TV?

Username: Dvdwatcher

Post Number: 9
I'm getting a new Olevia LCD TV on Friday. Still deciding which one, but I will need a new DVD player to go with it. I know it might be hard to recommend without knowing which model of Olevia tv, but are there any recommendations? Something that will help make DVD viewing more enjoyable?

Anything specific I should look for or stay away from in a DVD player?

Post Number: 10
Never mind... did my research by reading the older threads. (I found the time to do it.) Thanks Arty-G. I've read a lot of your posts and have taken a lot of your information to heart. You've made this LCD TV and DVD player process easier and very informative!

I'm going with your recommendation (after checking it out on CNet and another site) with Sony DVP-NS75H. Great value and picture from what I read.}

Bronze Member
Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 87
Yup, you should be fine to go with that player. Will you connect it via HDMI cable?

I am now running an Oppo DV-970HD. A very nice single disk DVD player that upconverts on par with some very expensive DVD players. It comes with a high quality HDMI cable.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Arty-G,

I went to a brick and mortar store last night to compare LCD TV's. It's hard for me to get to them. I was too impressed with the Sony Bravia 40S2010 model, so I'm buying that one. I figured the Sony DVD Player I mentioned would mesh well with the Sony TV. I planned on using an HDMI cable, yes.

I never heard of the Oppo DV-970HD. Impressive to come with the cable. I'll look into that online before I buy the TV. I know cords are so expensive...

Bronze Member
Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 88
Hi Jack:
Yes that is a nice TV for sure. I just wish it would have fit into our entertainment cabinet. The "other half" demanded that whatever I get had to fit into that cabinet and the Samsung 40" just fit in with 1/2 inch to spare. The glass surround of the Sony made it too big for me... sigh....

The Oppo is a super DVD player. I have recently had three, buy and sell and so forth to test. I had the NS75H and the Samsung 850 and now the Oppo. By far, the Oppo is best according to the two test DVDs that I have put it thru the paces with. You can purchase this direct from Oppo or on Amazon.COM If you look at the reviews of it, you will see that folks are quite amazed at the price performance point. It does come with the HDMI cable which is a BIG plus and it comes with other cables too. ITs setup menue system and persistant settings make it my hands down favorite. It has worked flawlessly and their tech support is just fantastic, to say the least.

BTW, there is actually no logic that a brand X DVD player will work best with a Brand X TV. One would imagine that there would be some convergence, but I see that not to be the case.

Let me know how that TV works out. I am envious amigo.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Arty-G,

I was going to buy the Sony KDL-40S2010 40" Bravia for $1699, the lowest price I could find. Then JUST found out that Crct Cty is having an unadvertised Black Friday sale of this model for only $1199!

I called them to ask if they had it on hand and they said yes. I asked them to put one on hold to me and I'd be in tonight to pick it up (for $1699) along with the 3 year ext warranty for $339.39 and the Sony DVD Player for $129. Then I asked her, "In case you put this on sale in the next 30 days, can I just bring in the receipt and be refunded the difference?" She then pretty much admitted that it will be on sale Friday but didn't have to stand in a cold line all night and fight the crazy people grabbing everything inside the store!

By the way, someone told me there is an LG upconverting DVD player that cleans DVD's as the same time that works great. Ever hear of it?

Also looking for Surround Sound speakers. Heard Yamaha packs the most punch for the money. Any recommendations?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us