Diseqc woes

Bronze Member
Username: Ajtech

Post Number: 12
Hi Everyone,

If anyone out there can help me with this problem that just came up I would appreciate it.

I have just set up a Pansat 2700a (not a clone) at my secondary residence. I have one here with a similar setup and it works fine, here is the situation:

I flashed with the latest bin (284) and set up 3 dishes one at a time, individually. I am pointed at:

119 , 82 and 97.

I connect the 3 dishes in the order above to the 4 port Diseqc switch leaving port 4 open. I reset the reciever to factory defaults and begin to set up my satelites again, this time using setting the diseqc assignment for each of the three satellites. This is where my trouble began.

I get no signal from any satellite when I am in the installation screen. However, if I select the "SIG" button on the remote and scroll down to (TP?) 2, I get a lock and a strong signal. The satellite is set to the proper Diseqc channel.

I can do this for all three satellites, however when I do a blind scan I only get 119, no matter which satellite I select.

I have tried resetting the reciever a few times and reflashing it, but the same thing keeps happening. In fact, no matter what I do if I do a blind scan (or any scan for that matter), I get 119's channels being detected.

At first I thought I may have had a bad diseqc switch, but I replaced it today, and verified for the umpteenth time that it is plugged in correctly and I still have the same issue.

I have disconnected the diseqc and plugged the satellites in again, one at a time and each satellite works individually (after disabling diseqc on the sat profile of course).

I have a similar setup at home with 4 LNB's (with the 'standard' satellites) and I have never had this problem. Is it possible that I have had 2 bad diseqc switches? It doesn't seem very likely.

I searched for any feature on the stb that would disable or enable diseqc globally but I could not find anything. In short, I only get what is connected to port 1 on the diseqc switch.

Thanks for any suggestions

Username: Dnvrguy

Post Number: 9
help with diseqc plz.
i have a pansat 2500a which means i got only 4 lnbs could be used.
how about if i wanna used 6 lnbs . which diseqc do i need . ty

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Still having this problem.

I have opened up the reciever to look to see if there is maybe a diseqc fuse that may have blown or something, but of course there is not. I have replaced all of the cabling, tried a third diseqc switch and still no joy.

I tried reseting the box, going back to the factory firmware and still nada.

Any suggestions?

Bronze Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 41
You have to start with the basics:
1- Correct size dish (97 requires 30" dish)
2- Pointing each dish to correct SAT
3- Use Correct LNB (Circular for 82,91,110,119& Linear for 97)
4- Try each SAT one at a time like you did)
5- Correct DISEQC Switch
6- Use quad shield cables (you will be thanking me)
7- Assign each SAT to a unique port (i.e. Port 1,2,3 or4)
8- Scan one SAT at a time
YOU CAN EVEN GET 6 SATS with only 2 dishes

Bronze Member
Username: Themangod

Post Number: 93
Listen to King and do as he said and you will be on your way, it is also a good idea to use quad shield cables like he suggested.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Hi King Tape,

I was originally using RG-59u and I switched to RG6. It makes no difference with the Diseqc switch or with the individual signal levels in my case. But since you are supposed to use RG6, I swapped out all of the cabling.

I searched and found an article that the fix was to move the diseqc switch closer to the reciever, so I cut off all excess slack from the cables, and it made no difference.

All satellites work fine individually (without the switch), but I only get 119 (on all 4 ports) with a switch connected.

The switch is about 60' away from the reciever, which I can't see being a problem as if I had a diseq motor it would be at the dish end as well.

I have three individual dishes that are mounted on top of a wooden garage. The first two are BEV dishes and the third (pointed at 97) is a Starband dish (75cm eliptical), which has a linear LNB. Individually everything works.

I have been turning off the reciever while connecting and disconnecting the dishes and switches, but no matter what I do the diseqc does not work.

I will try another brand of switch and if that does not work, I will build a relay switch and be done with it.

Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
- Well it looks like you eliminated many possibilitis
This is a typical Multiplexing problem
MUX= converting multi-inputs to a single output
But what is happening is you are converting 1-input to 1-output. SO EITHER YOU ARE USING WRONG SWITCH OR You are not DeMUXing in your set-up

ARE YOU SETTING EACH SAT to a unique port? like step4 above?

So either wrong DISEqC or wrong set-up

I'm not talking about Blind scan I'm talking about Channel Scan in Antenna set-up when you load all channels

Give me the name of your DISEqC Switch or Frequencies listed on the Swich I will look it up or give me your port assignment when you set-up LNB TP freq DISEqC etc.

Also if you have a different installition that is working you can tell if it is the switch or not

I think it is your Antenna setup as an educated guess but it could be either or

Let me know (this is a very simple problem)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Hi King Tape,

I tried all kinds of scans. I have also tried moving 119 to port 2, and I still only get that signal - I guess because it is the strongest one.

I added a Terk Antenna to 119 to see if it would 'auto-magically' fix my problem, but of course it did not.

My last try, I reset the box, powered it off and back on again, set up the satellites one at a time (using their proper Diseqc channels) and did a channel scan. 119 works, but all other satellites give me the same channels as 119 - regardless of the diseqc setting. I get no quality when the diseqc switch is connected unless I change the TP on the satellite profile. When I connect each Satellite direct and turn off the Diseqc channel, I can see the signal of each sat without changing the TP (ie: leave it on 1)

My last 2 Diseqc switches were the following model:

EagleSTAR 4x1 Diseqc switch
Diseqc 1.2 900-2400MHZ

I did notice, however, that when I connect the Turk antenna, I get no channels (from the Antenna that is) unless I lift the ground (sheild on the antenna line) on the RG6 cable into the stb. I had previously had my cable TV plugged into the antenna input. Perhaps I have a ground loop somewhere...

Thanks for you efforts

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Not that it matters, but here are my dishes:
Upload
I am looking for a multi LNB holder for the Starband Dish so I can get rid of the transmitter and the other dishes (18 and 20").
The Starband LNB is linear, but it does not switch between h & v signals.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Wait a Minute
According to the photo it looks like each dish is pointing to same SAT. you need 1 LNB for each SAT Why don't start with the following:
- One dish 2 LNBs pointing to (82) to get both BEV 82 and 91.
- Second dish with 2 or 3 LNBs you can get 110, 119 pointed to (119)
- Third dish to 97
-You can even do a lot more with these 3 dishes
Just keep in mind one LNB for each SAT
Why don't you start with 82, 91
Previously you said you got each SAT seperatly what I think was happening is all along you were getting 119 even if there is a signal on 82, 91, 110, 119. SIGNAL DOES NOT MEAN YOU GOT THE CHANNELS.
- So put 2 LNBs strapped together with a tie wrap or get a bracket that holds two LNBs to get 2 SATs with one dish, start by moving one of YOUR dishes about 15 degrees twoards east and away from 119 to get the CENTER OF CORRECT BEAM
-Set one SAT to port-1 and the other to port-2
Do Blind scan followed by Channel Scan
You have to make sure you get correct channels before you step and repeat to other SATs
Your DISEqC switch sounds fine but limited to 4 SATs. Hold on to your TEREK antenna IT can go straight to your TV tuner get your HD if that is what it is for.
I MAY NOT BE ABLE TO GET TO MY COMPUETR TILL MONDAY. But I will try to check forum over weekend.
Good Luck

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
You don't have to put 2 LNBs on one dish
This is just a suggestion
- 82, 91 (Must be circular LNBs)
- 110, 119 (must be circular LNBs)
- 97 must be Linear with 30" dish

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Hi King Tape,

The dishes are pointed in different directions, the picture is taken from below and on a bit of an angle, but I agree - it does look like they are all pointed in the same direction, but they are not. If you look at the feed arms, you can see how they are off center from the middle of the reflectors, it is also hard to judge the size of the dishes as they are stagered in distance as well, the midle is the closest, the top is 2nd furthest and the starband dish is actually back a couple of feet. The picture makes the top two dishes look like they are the same size, and the starband not being much bigger even though it really does dwarf the other 2 dishes. The 20" BEV dish has a dual LNB holder on it, but I have only one LNB installed - it also looks like it is on the tree, but that's another feild of depth issue - the tree is a few meters behind it. The yellow house is actually pretty far back as well as they have a large swimming pool, but you would never know it from this picture.

The top (20" BEV dish) is pointed at 119, the 18" dish is pointed at 82, and the Starband is aimed at 97. They all work individually on the chosen sats, and I do get all of the channels individually (except 97 - as I only get the horizontal due to the current LNB setup)

I intend to get rid of the top two dishes completely, and just use the 30" eliptical dish with 4 LNB's, but I will have to modify the feedarm a bit first. This is just a dry run.

I quickly set up a relay switch, and it works, but since the dishes are on the garage I don't want to have DC Controll cables strung between the two buildings, and it is annoying to have to switch between sats to watch different channels, as I have to get up and push a button (no remote).

I am going to bite the bullet and try running a single line from each LNB into the house, and putting the diseqc switch much closer to the receiver. I did not want to do this because I plan on using 4 dual LNB's(maybe more if I leave the 18 & 20" dishes up) which is going to be a bundle of at least 8 RG6 cables into the house - It is going to be ugly - not to mention the mamouth hole I will need to put in the house to pass all of these cables through.

Maybe I'll try dragging a TV and the Pansat out to the garage first....

Thanks Again.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
- I really do think your dishes need to be re-aligned I can clearly see they are pointing to 119 (Trust me)
- Your Starband 30" is also pointing to 110
- Don't use starband original LNB, it cost $20 for a good sensitive LNB you can buy that from WWW-wsdigital-com 770.420.5272
- You don't have to move DISEqC switches closer to your receiver this will be waste of cables
- Did you get Bell on your DISEqC switch with nothing else connected. I'm talking about LNB to switch-1 out to your receiver. If you get this your 22k need to be off. Step and repeat for each SAT seperately.
- When it is time to put all 3, dishnet need to be in SW-1
- EVERY TIME YOU TRY ANY COMBINATION YOUR RECEIVER NEED TO BE OFF. So you don't damage coil inside. They can get damaged easily
- Also you can get a twin Circular LNB this will allow you to get both 110, 119 with one wire
Give me your town name and state I will calculate angles for you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Hi King Tape,

I am 100% positive that my dishes are pointed correctly as I get all of my channels individually without the diseqc switch, otherwise it would not work at all.

I'll get out there and take another pic tomorrow from a better angle.

I have been turning the reciever off when unplugging cables, and I still need to modify the feedarm to get the starband to accept any other LNB.

Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
- Ok doesn't hurt to be careful
- You still didn't answer me did you try BEV to DISEqC switch as the only input on the switch?
The reason for this is to see if it works at all on switch

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Hi King Tape,

I have found that the problem is only when I add 119 into the mix, with out it everything works. Once I enable 119 on the switch that's all I get. I just have it unplugged for now, I will repoint it to something else to see if it is the LNB. I also tie wrapped a new linear LNB to the starband dish and removed the existing linear 'fixed' LNB, so now I get both vertical and horizontal signals.

Thanks again

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
DN need to be at DISEqC sw-1 & 2 BEV on 3
You also need to asign them in your antenna set-up respectively.
Change LNB type in Antenna set-up
I will look it up for you
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us