Best DVD player for around $150?

Username: Ravenb

Post Number: 1
Any suggestions on the best dvd player for $150?
I am considering Oppo DV-970HD, Philips DVP5960/37, Sony DVP-NS75H, Yamaha DV-S5950BL, TOSHIBA SD6980

Silver Member
Username: Tommyv

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 101
I would deffinately say go for the yamaha you have listed over the others. Alot of people on the internet seem to like that Oppo player so i guess its one to consider as well.

Bronze Member
Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 51
The Oppo DV-970HD gets my vote.

Post Number: 2
I think from the reviews I have read the oppo is the one. But do you think I should go with the DV-970HD or DV-971HD?

I have a sony 34xbr910
it has a dvi connection

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
If your Sony 34" has no HDMI connection and you are buying the DVD player for viewing DVDs then I would go with the 971HD.

However, if you have a HDMI connection, and seeing that your TV is less than 50" then the 970 would be a good choice because of the HDMI.

I have the Oppo 970 now connected to a 40" Samsung LCD and it looks spectacular connected via HDMI. I have never had a 971 but the lack of HDMI output kept me away from that. I hear Oppo will be coming out with a new version of the 971 with HDMI.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
John:
Suggestion, download both user manuals for the 970 and 971 from the Oppo website. Also notice there is a setup guide published for the 970 as well. The Oppo FAQ is also very informative.

Post Number: 3
Arty G
The TV does not have an HDMI connection but a DVI. I was thinking of going with the 970 since my screen is less then 50 inches. but I will need to buy a hmdi to dvi adapter

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
John:
The Oppo 971 has the native DVI output standard and the unit comes with a DVI cable to boot! I would go that route, were I you.

Post Number: 4
Thanks Arty G. That is what I have decided to do
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us