New to projectors, please advise

Silver Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Pine hill, Nj US

Post Number: 723
Ok. This section of Ecoustics gets about as much attention as grass gets in the desert, but we'll see. I currently own a 48" widescreen Mitsubishi HDTV. I am looking into replacing it with a projector setup. I know NOTHING about projectors or screens. All I know is that I would like to increase my screen size and a projector SEEMS to be the cheapest way to go. My questions are as follows: 1)Is a screen really required or can I use a flat white wall as a screen with similar results? 2) How large of a screen size can I get if the projector is mounted approximately 12' from projected wall? 3) How much difference in quality is there between a projected image as opposed to conventional tv? 4) What are some trusted brands and who should I stay away from? 5) Are projectors mainly for sports bars and auditoriums or can they have impressive results in a home theater?
This area of home theater is very interesting to me and something I would like to pursue, as long as my expectations are met. I've been browsing and it looks like there are many directions I could go. I've seen them as cheap as $600 and as high as $3000. I don't watch tv 10 hours a day but would like something reliable. Also, what about gaming? Do video game systems put any undo punishment on projectors?
As you can see I'm at a crossroads here. I'm just salivating at the thought of a 7' screen size and getting it under $1200 or so. Is this worth it? Thanks!

Username: Haffiz_abdul

Toronto, Ontario

Post Number: 6
ok so:
1 - You can your wall but a screen is better.
2 - YOu can get probably a 100-106" screen, those are fairly cheap. about 120$.
3 - the quality really depends on the projector but you can get really close to hdtv.
4 - I like optomax projectors...
5 - They have great results as home theater.

Here is a really good combo that will round up to 1200, but if you contact the store you can get 10% off:
Projector: http://www.ezelectronixshop.authsafe.com/product_info.php?products_id=19876&osCs id=540d034caed08564f113c385e829e66c

Screen: http://www.ezelectronixshop.authsafe.com/product_info.php?products_id=20263&osCs id=540d034caed08564f113c385e829e66c
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us