Help Hooking Up My DVD Recorder!

Username: Lacharron

PalmerUnited States

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone,
I am new to this board but am hoping that someone can help... I have included pictrues of the problem I am having..

I am trying to hookup my comcast DVR box to my DVD-Recorder/Player,Through my tv. I have had this done before and it worked great. but we had a small power outage and I had to disconnect everything.. Then I forgot how it was hooked up before.. So I am hoping someone can help me..

this is what I have:
comcast DVR Box and this connected to my tv through the video out on the Cable box:

Upload

Then to the video in on the tv:

Upload

My Question is how do I hook up the DVD-Recorder- Pictured Here:

Upload

To record movies from comcast Dvr-Box,
I have several more cables other than the ones in this picture as well..but I believe that these were the ones used when it was hooked up correctly( Except the S-video cable)

Upload

Thank you so much in advance for your help..

sincerely
Lisa

Username: Esegal

Post Number: 1
Hi Lisa, unfortunately I do not have a answer for you, but I do have a similiar question and your posting is one of the few postings I have found regarding comcast cable boxes. I just received a DVR as a present and am trying to hook up the DVR to my comcast (motorola) and TV. I currently have the incoming cable signal connected through a coaxial cable to the comcast cable box. I then have a coaxial cable leaving the cable box coming into the DVR. From the DVR I have the three (red, yellow, white) audio/video cords connected from the AV output on the DVR to the TV. I can watch cable stations by putting the TV on input 2 and the DVR to channel 3, and then I can use the cable box to change channels. But my question is, is there a better way? With this set up, if I want to record anything, I need to set the cable box to the channel I want to record. Is there a way to hook up everything so that the DVR will be able to recognize the cable channels so that I do not have to leave the cable box on the channel I want to record? I have heard rumors that comcast is not compatible with many DVR's, does anyone know if this is true. Also, I have read that I might need an IR blaster cord. What is an IR blaster and will this solve my problems?

Username: Dougo13

Post Number: 5
An IR Blaster is an extension to a device that allows it to use the IR codes from a remote control to control another external device like a VCR. They are not very common. The problem with DVD Recorders is that they are made in China and Japan and (in many cases) are really meant for the market there. They are mostly incompatible with our cable boxes, satellite TV receivers, etc. I am not on Comcast so I can't really help you there. All my devices are hooked up with direct video and audio in and out to satellite TV equipment. I can't control the equipment at all and must rely on timers on the receivers and on the DVD Recorders.

From the pictures the progression is:

Audio and Video outputs to Audio and Video Inputs on the DVD Recorder and then Audio and Video Outputs of the DVD Recorder to the Audio and Video Inputs of the TV. Of course, you will only be able to record and watch whatever is playing from the DVR Comcast box unless the DVD Recorder allows pass through if it is turned off. Very few do (the Polaroid 2100G does). My Liteons and Panasonic do not allow this. Everything must be "live" for things to work....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us