Charlie Sub and FTA?

Bronze Member
Username: Tariqic

Post Number: 89
I planning on signing up for a sub with Charlie. Do I need to signup for a premium package or will the cheapest package available work for me to get all channels on my FTA box? Also, do I need to change any setups after the technician has installed everything? Seems like I should just be able to use one of the outputs from their switch that they install and plug in my FTA. Thanx in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 4981
HUH?...Your Charlie sub package will NOT have ANY relationship to FTA!...and a DN install might totally screw up your FTA capabilities..U have MUCH reading to do!

your question is no different than asking...If I buy a bigger boat will the airplane fly faster!...and can I use the same fuel in my boat to power my airplane?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
I was going to have my sub when FTA goes down.

I guess my question is Can I use the same dish(s) for FTA?

Bronze Member
Username: Tinfish

Post Number: 70
T..You can set it up where the cable from the dish goes to your FTA receiver and the Satellite Output from the FTA receiver can be connected to your subscribed dish receiver. When the FTA receiver is off the Dish Receiver will work with no hitch. The only problem is when you have the FTA receiver and the dish receiver on at the same time (for example you are recording something on ur Dish DVR). If the channel you are recording happens to be received on the same LNB as the show you are watching on your FTA everything is fine. If they are not your Dish receiver will run into trouble. It cannot record since it doesnt see a satellite signal. If you can live with managing between the two receivers this way, then you can have both.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
Thanx Tin Fish. Much appreciated with your response. Have a good day!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4988
T...U may and may not be able to use the same dish and hardware....it all depends on which LNB's and switches the DN installer uses!...and they all use differnt setups too..U must wait until after the DN installer is done, then ask the question with specfic LNB and switch info...many FTA's will NOT work with DN hardware,such as a SW 21 switch or Legacy twin LNB's...and DPP LNB's are a real pain if he installs those ..its not as simple as just disconnecting one receiver and plugging into the other..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
Thanx LK, your great knowledge is always appreciated. I'll post the information once I get it installed. Have a good one!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4995
NP...hope it works out for U..good luck

BTW...U can ask the installer if he would use Dish Pro (DP) hardware (NOT Dish Pro Plus-DPP)...then U would have NO problems...also tell him U plan on adding nore receivers in the future , and he could install a DP multiswitch and U can watch BOTH DN receiver and FTA Pansat receiver at same time in different rooms, which will also be interchangeable....No harm in asking the installer..

Silver Member
Username: Crazy_greek

Post Number: 128
Hey Mr. T
If you are looking for a backup here is what you will have to do.
First sign up for the $19.99 a month.
After they have installed your system go out to Radio Shack buy (1) two (2) way splitter and(1) A B Switch.Also five (5) short cable pigtails if you don't have them.
Now you should be ready to go to work.
1.Take the cable off Charlie's receiver coming from the Dish and connect it to the (IN) of the two way splitter.
2.Connect one (1) cable pigtail from the splitter to Charlie's receiver and the other pigtail to your FTA receiver.
3.Next now take a pigtail from each receiver to the A & B Switch.
4.Now the center of the switch is mark TV should I say more.

Ask the installer if you want to upgrade your system will he or she have to come back and make any changes? Anyway when you switch to FTA you will know what channels you will receive with the equipment he or she has installed.LOL

PS Good idea you have come up with.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
I'd just like to thank everyone that answered this thread with detailed information. If I can't follow these instructions, I shouldn't be testing FTA, :-) Anyways, have a great weekend and this by far is the best forums to get answers from reliable sources. Cyyyaaa

Username: Palikeroako

Post Number: 2
is there n e 1 here that has a coolsat5000 that is not scrambled? Have the codes come out yet? If they have please let me know... Thanx to all who reply....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us