LG DR6921W DVD Recorder

Username: Nicdan

Post Number: 1
Hi All, I have LG DR6921W DVD Recorder, which i am having dramas with burning to disk. I can watch original dvd's in player with no problems at all, but recording to disk is a problem. It burns to disk but it freezes and jumps around when you play it. I have tried various brands of re writable disk with the same problem. I'm thinking it is proberly the burner inside the unit which could be at fault. Oh yeah when you look at the burnt part of the disk it is not a solid block it looks like rings that get bigger and bigger. Of course the warrenty has just run out. Any help would be fantastic. Nicdan

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3083
Skipping/pausing is usually poor quality media. I use Verbatim 2x RWs daily without any problems. I do a full erase on the PC each time I use them, probably don't have to, but never had any problems that way.

Post Number: 3
Thanks Dave, i have tried various types of media, sony, imation. Might try Verdatim's and see how i go. fingers crossed

Gold Member

Post Number: 3090
Sony doesn't make their own discs. If you have a PC burner or DVD-ROM, you can use DVDInfoPro or DVD Decrypter or IMGburn to see who actually makes the discs. I don't know if Imation makes their own discs or not. I had an LG burner once, first one I ever had, I returned it because even with high quality discs, some players would choke on the discs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3091
Sony doesn't make their own discs. If you have a PC burner or DVD-ROM, you can use DVDInfoPro or DVD Decrypter or IMGburn to see who actually makes the discs. I don't know if Imation makes their own discs or not. I had an LG burner once, first one I ever had, I returned it because even with high quality discs, some players would choke on the discs.

Username: Grouville

Dunedin, Otago New Zealand

Post Number: 2
Hi,
RE: Lg6821W
I'm having same problems as David F.
Last week or so things have been going from bad to worse with burning DVD's. I've even had after recording the disc being Reintialised without my intervention. Machine 'locks up' and can only be got back by pulling the mains plug. There does not seem to be a logical pattern. At first I suspected a faulty disc or the fact that I decided to try DVD+RW discs because I had
problems obtaining DVD-RW types. Going to see if I can pick up a couple of -RW's today and see if thats got anything to do with it.
My description of the problem is the recorder is a behaving a bit like HAL (2001) has a faulty memory and is loosing it's mind... whatever, and seems to be getting worse. Alzheimers!
Don W.

Post Number: 3
HI..... More thoughts on the LG6821W DVD recording problems.
Seems we users are experienceing problems after about 12 months or so. Deterioration/reliability seems to be a gradually 'worsening' situation.
I gather there are 2 lasers in DVD rec/play devices. One does the burning the other playback.
1: Is the burner laser wearing out? Does it have
a limited life? etc
2: Has environment got anything to do with it?
(I notice that we have fan cooling onboard and this drags over a period of time a lot of air thru the machine, (Its unfiltered air) and therefore a lot of dust smog etc is pulled thru
the machine.
Maybe the laser beam is being effected and getting 'gummed-up'?
Has anybody thought of running a lens cleaner disc in the LG? (I gather there are cleaning systems on the market to do this.)
Cheers Don W.

Post Number: 5
HI.
RE: LG6821W
I took the bull by the horns and purchased a Pudney
DVD lens cleaning disc.
RESULT: It worked 105%.... 105% as it now lookes confirmed
that my LG6821W was never 100% since purchase!
I spent some hours recording, going over most of the
functions and it never failed once. This I did on discs that
I thought may have been faulty. They obviously were not!
I tried a new disc and it cam up with a couple of 'glitches'
that would have proved fatal before the application of the lens
clean disc. The machine managed to correct which is something it
has never done before with such glitches.
It seems a good idea to do a DVD lens clean say once a month or
when glitches or problems appear. Simple really!

I did a bit of study on DVD technology and came up with this theory.
New DVD discs (RW types) perhaps need to be 'run in'. This is done
by recording a full disc and then <re> them before serious
use.
As for the problem it is for certain the cooling system, with that fan
is the culprit. (If a convection cooling system was able to be used the problem
would take probably years to manifest itself.)
The fan sucks the air thru the machine bringing with it dust and other
polution which can deposit on the lens effecting the laser beam.
To obviate this the fan should be pushing air thru the machine via a simple
relaceable filter which would extract 99% of the crap in the air. Manufacturers take note!

The 'crap' or polution comes generally in two forms:
1: Dust and other fine airborne particles.
2: Environmental contaminants such as spraycan residues, body fluids, cooking
residues, smoke, fire dust etc, etc etc, ever present wherever we may be.
In the first case (1) the DVD lens cleaner can deal with realively easily but
in case (2) this is an accumulative problem that in time, maybe over some years,
will inevitably coat the laser lens with a scum or coating that will defract/block
or disperse the laser beam and have to be cleaned off physically.
All such devices, regardless of manufacturer/quality will be prone to this problem I'd
imagine.
It is anybodys guess as to how our machines got became 'faulty' so soon after
purchase but it is still something of a mystery to me that the 'technology' works
at all! Where do they store all those moving pictures and the fab sound on that
little shinny disc!
Hope this helps.
Don W.

Post Number: 5
Hi Don.
Good to hear you you have sorted your problem. I have tried a "fellows" brand dvd cleaner but it didn't fix my problem, not sure how good it is but it has six brushes. Pudney brand is a New Zealand base company, which does not help me unless i can find a dealer. I have tried a couple of companys here in Adelaide but no luck. Can i ask you how much you paid for your cleaner and does it have brushes or rubbers on the disk. A store is recomending a Philips brand which they still cant guarantee to fix the problem. Regards Dave

Post Number: 6
Hi David,
I purchased my DVD lens cleaner from Harvey Norman, gather they are based in Australia. The Pudney DVD lens cleaner cost $30 NZ and has 6 micro brushes emnbedded in the disc.
I only used it once and as I said it worked 105%.
Recorded a test full 2hrs last evening and a quick glance looks like everything is as it should be.
Cheers Don W.

Post Number: 6
Hi Don,
Hows the DVD Recorder going? What type of disks do you use, i have tried Laser, TDK and Sony. I have tried the "fellows " brand of lens cleaner again about 15 times and still no go.
We have a Harvey Norman here that is the place i purchased the unit from. They only carry fellows and philips brands.
Maybe i have to take the bull by the horns and buy the Philips brand. lol
Sorry for all these questions but you may be my last hope....thanks

Regards David

Post Number: 7
Hi Again,
well......i bought another lens cleaner, no go after i used it it totaly finished it off. Unit would not recognise any disk i put in there. Unit is being repaired and found out today the hole laser mechanism was the fault. $70.00 labour. Parts.....i dont have to pay for!!!!
Hope you dont have anymore problems.
regards Dave

Post Number: 7
RE: RC6821W
Hi david,
Looks like in your case the DVD Rec/play
was faulty.
I was at the point of thinking mine had the same problem but mine is still functioning after just a lens clean.
If things do go wrong again and a lens clean fails it will certainly be returned. I got mine under a 3 yr warranty so still have about 18 mths to go. Hopefully this shan't happen!
Merry xmas etc...
Don.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us