Loop Out?

Username: Pepsicola

Post Number: 3
Can anyone explain what the use of the 'Loop Out' is on the Viewsat Extreme. I currently have a single LNB and 2 receivers. Thanks

Username: Ajtech

Post Number: 5
Run a cable from it to the input of the second receiver. Since you only have have a single LNB, this will work in place of a splitter.

Andy

Username: Pepsicola

Post Number: 4
AJ, will that mean if I have 2 receivers that I can watch different shows on each tv or just one receiver can work at one time?

Silver Member
Username: Woofy

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 302
one at a time only.

Bronze Member
Username: Pep

Post Number: 38
not one at a time.You can watch different show.

Silver Member
Username: Woofy

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 304
nope

Silver Member
Username: Hawaiian_time

Hawaii

Post Number: 668
ok, so if you can only watch the same show as the other receiver, you still need another receiver for the other tv? You can't run the cable straight to the second tv?

Silver Member
Username: Pannu16

Post Number: 296
yes u can hawaiian,
But this loop concept is not clear . give some more details with picture if possible!!!

Post Number: 9
Hi Hawaiian Time,

Allthough I have never actually tried it, I would assume that it works like a splitter, so if you have only 1 LNB (no switches or motors) then the two boxes will work independently. Adding a switch or a motor will complicate your life if you have more than 1 box. You can make everything work with a dual LNB, and if you have multiple dual LNBs - a dedicated switch for each reciever.

Now Rob states that you can only watch one box as a time (using the loop out), so maybe he has tried it. It seams like a bit of a waste to put the connector there if you couldn't use both boxes at the same time though.

Andy

Silver Member
Username: Albino_midget

Post Number: 262
w/loop out, works best w/one receiver on at a time. yet you can still watch a differnt program on second tv as long its on the same sat and the transponders are close to each other.
hbo echo7 tp 12239 on first tv
sci-fi echo 7 tp 12326 on second tv

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 4916
AJ...a 'splitter" with FTA does NOT allow 2 boxes to work independently...thats what switches are for..splitters only allow the SAME signal to be split and sent to different locations (like 3 TV's)..a switch allows different signals to be combined and then those DIFFERENT signals to be sent to different locations (receivers)also, therefore operating independently..

Post Number: 10
Hi LK,

I think I am lost...

I was under the immpression that the loop out "worked like a splitter" in that if you had one dish with one single LNB, you could daisy chain your boxes together, allowing all boxes access to the single LNB. I have never done this, but that is what my manual led me to believe.

By switches, I am refering to the DiSEqC variety (I am not sure if there any other kinds), which allow me to connect multiple LNB's to a single box and recieve signals from any one of these LNB's at a time. (there are also multi in/out switches like the one I currently use that allows me to attach 2 boxes to 4 LNBs and everything works independently).

So I guess I am lost in the part where the splitter does not work with FTA - keep in mind that I have never tried it - but I would assume that splitting a signal from an LNB and sending that signal to two seperate boxes would give you two independant recievers, as both recievers recieve the full bandwidth from the LNB.

Am I wrong in this? Does the LNB not just send the full bandwidth signal to the box and the box selects and tunes into the selected frequency? Or is the LNB somehow being 'tuned' by the reciever, making the signal not suitable for splitting?

Please set me straight on this, I am not an installer, but I am interested in why the signal cannot be split.

Thanks,

Andy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Hi Lk,

I did some quick research and found the answer - LNB's are active devices - I had no idea!

(you know the drill)

"2. How does an LNB work?
There are 32 transponders on the 101 degree satellite (main satellite) that send channels. They are numbered 1-32. Each transponder sends a group of channels. An LNB on a satellite dish can look at either odd or even transponders at any given time. It cannot see both at the same time. If you change the channel to one that is on an odd transponder, then the LNB switches to look at the odd...if you change to a channel on an even transponder, then the LNB switches to look at the even"

I have 3 recievers, with a 2x4 DiSEqC switch and a relay switch. My son is on one side of the DiSEqC, and my home theater and my bedroom are on the other side of the DiSEqC - the relay selects between the 2 locations. Since I have dual LNB's and I can't watch satellite in my bedroom and livingroom at the same time, I have never run into the issue.

I will have to learn to keep my mouth shut on things I know nothing about.

Thanks,

Andy

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 4919
Dual LNB--receives 1 sat signal but has 2 outputs for 2 receivers..so U can watch 2 TV's using 2 receivers and different channels in different areas but ONLY from 1 satellite, if U have ONLY 1 dual LNB...and if U have 2 or 3 duals LNB's, just use align them to different satellites, and run cables from each LNB to the 4x2 disque switch then to your 2 receivers..each receiver will receive different channels and sats and run independently..BUT U must congigure your receiver installation antenna menu to conform with your LNB's/frequencies/ ports settings etc..

"splitters" are NOT used with FTA, except to split a cable to 2 TV's AFTER the receiver, but both TV's will get both the same sat signal and same channels at same time..when U change the channel on the receiver, it changes both TV channels also..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us