Light tunnel collapse, should I attempt repair?

Username: Rick_n

Post Number: 1
I have a 2 1/2 year old Samsung HLN5065WX/XAA DLP. Has worked flawlessly from day one. 7000 hrs on original bulb. But now the right edge of the screen has a 2" shaded zone, as if something is blocking the light path. Researching on the web I have concluded that it is probably caused by a mirror that has come unglued. What I've read is that the light passes through a square tunnel that has mirrors glued to the inside. Apparently the glue breaks down and the mirrors can shift position so as to block the light.

The set is out of warranty. Light engines are prohibitively expensive. So right now I'm living with the defect but I think I'm destine to attempt a repair if it gets any worse. But opening a light engine is definitely a scary prospect. I know this repair has been done successfully but I'd like to gather as much info as possible before I consider opening up the patient.

Like, how difficult is the disassembly and reassembly? Will difficult mechanical adjustments be needed to realign things? Are special tools and devices needed? I have a technical background and access to conventional technician tools and a good work area. Am I crazy to consider doing this? Can anyone lend any advice?

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 878
If you haven't had the back off for 2.5 years it's absolutely filthy inside. You are extremely lucky that the fans haven't clogged and caused the lamp or DMD to heat up and fail. Take the back off and use a brush on your vac hose to clean everything first.

Your light engine is self contained and sits on a sliding tray. It takes very little loosing of screws, wire harnesses, and such to slide it back away from the tunnel. This will afford you a look to see what's going on. You don't need special tools and the tray should fit back precisely. I'd go for it!

Username: Rick_n

Post Number: 2
Thanks FYI. I was hoping you'd respond. You seem to know quite a lot about these TVs. That's great that the light tunnel is separate from the light engine and will go back into place easily. I will go for it, maybe next weekend.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us