Bypass my receiver and go directly to the TV?

Username: Oknessad

Post Number: 1
In the past I have used composite video cables and have always routed multiple sources (ie dvd, vcr, satellite) to my receiver and then used one cable from the receiver to the TV as my TV only had one composite input.
Now, however, I purchased an HDTV with 2 component inputs and my question is this: is there a difference in picture quality between going directly from my DVD player to my TV for one input and then going directly from my HDTV set top box to the other component input OR routing both of these to the respective component inputs on my receiver and then using the output from the receiver to the TV?

Whew... long question. Hope everyone understands. I'm new to the board but have been reading for some time.
I just purchased a NAD T752 so the whole component video will be a new and welcome experience. The only thing I can think of in addition to picture quality is cost... is it really worth using two cables to go into the receiver and an additional one from the receiver to the TV when i can just buy two cables and go direct from component to the TV?
Thanks and lemme know what you think!
Jace

Post Number: 7
anyone? I'd really appreciate everyones knowlege. I can't decide what to do or what would be better for quality vs convienence etc.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1001
Jace, oknessa,

I think there is some agreement that the connections can be listed, in decreasing order of picture quality, as follows.

1. DVI and/or HDMI (digital connections).
2. Component video (3 x cables with RCA plugs at each end)
3. S-video (1 x cable with mini-DIN plugs at each end)
4. Composite video (1 x cable with RCA plugs at each end; usually colour-coded yellow)
5. RF cable for connecting at radio frequency (as in terrestrial aerial/antenna connections).

I have just upgraded from Composite (4) to S-video (3), taking everything through the NAD receiver (T760), which has S-video (3) as the highest quality. It is convenient, and gives good results. I have component (2) outlets on my DVD player (NAD T533) but no component (2) input on the TV (Sony CRT). If I did, then I would certainly use component (2), and miss out the receiver in the video path, at least for DVD.

In Europe there is also something called a "SCART" connection, which seems to have either (4) or (2) inside it, for video.

You always can get a short cable, try it, and see which you prefer.

Hope that helps!

Post Number: 8
Thanks John for the response. I will be using component connections either way but I can't figure out if I should first route both the DVD and HDTV tuner to the receiver and then use the receivers component output to the TV (thus using an extra cable instead of just routing both sources right to the tv and bypassing the receiver). I guess i'll just give both a try and see if the receiver creates any loss in the signal... that kinda thing. We'll see and I'll try to report back my findings if any.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1002
oknessa,

I think you've got it, and from now on it is mostly a question of what you find most convenient. That depends on the physical layout. It is always good to experiment, to see what looks, and feels, best.

Anonymous

some people connect their DVD player directly to the monitor and uses the shortest cable as possible. my DVD player is directly connected to my projector and I'm repositioning my system so I only have to use around 13' of component cable. I haven't tried it but I'll let u know ASAP.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us